Old April 17th 04, 02:40 PM
Hernán Sánchez

Default Has QSL.net network problems ?

Hi.

Since some time ago I cannot reach qsl.net on the net. I used
http://visualroute.visualware.com/ to figure out what's happening and it
shows me:

"IP packets are being list past network 'UUNET Technologies, Inc. UUNET65'
at hop 8. VisualRoute cannot determine the next network at hop 9. Node
65.207.92.86 at hop 8 in network 'UUNET Technologies, Inc. UUNET65' reports
'The destination host is unreachable'".

It means is not my ISP problem, but a generic problem. Has anyone any idea
of what's happening ?

Thanks

Hernán Sánchez

Old April 18th 04, 12:16 AM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Hernán Sánchez wrote:

"IP packets are being list past network 'UUNET Technologies, Inc. UUNET65'
at hop 8. VisualRoute cannot determine the next network at hop 9. Node
65.207.92.86 at hop 8 in network 'UUNET Technologies, Inc. UUNET65' reports
'The destination host is unreachable'".

It means is not my ISP problem, but a generic problem. Has anyone any idea
of what's happening ?

According to some discussion on the linux-hams mailing list, QSL.NET
had a problem a short while ago - their system was being attacked by
"crackers" located somewhere in South America - Brazil, I believe. If
I understand the situation correctly, they were unable to get support
or assistance from ISP(s) from which the attacks were originating. As
a result, they have apparently started blocking inbound TCP/IP traffic
to their site from a significant portion of South America.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old April 18th 04, 12:31 AM
Ken Scharf

Hernán Sánchez wrote:
Hi.

Since some time ago I cannot reach qsl.net on the net. I used
http://visualroute.visualware.com/ to figure out what's happening and it
shows me:

"IP packets are being list past network 'UUNET Technologies, Inc. UUNET65'
at hop 8. VisualRoute cannot determine the next network at hop 9. Node
65.207.92.86 at hop 8 in network 'UUNET Technologies, Inc. UUNET65' reports
'The destination host is unreachable'".

It means is not my ISP problem, but a generic problem. Has anyone any idea
of what's happening ?

Thanks

Hernán Sánchez

I was able to get to QSL.NET last night. At least to a web
site hosted there.

Old April 18th 04, 03:22 PM
Hernán Sánchez

Thanks... I think this is the answer... I live in South America (Colombia).
Do you know how can I contact QSL.NET to help me with access there ? any
QSL.NET mirror ? I'm a ham radio and QSL.NET is an excellent source of
ideas.

Thanks

Hernán Sánchez
HJ4SZY

Old April 18th 04, 05:44 PM
xpyttl

Hernán

There are a number of sites that allow you to browse other sites. The idea
here is to hide what sites you are browsing by connecting to the websites
from an address other than your own. They should be able to help you out by
stepping around the problem.

www.anonymizer.com is one of these, but there are tons of others. I haven't
actually used any of them so I can't tell you if one is better than another.
I did put a qsl.net address into anonymizer.com and didn't like what I saw.
But if you poke anonymous browsing into google you'll get a zillion sites to
try.

Old April 18th 04, 06:36 PM
Dave Platt

Thanks... I think this is the answer... I live in South America (Colombia).
Do you know how can I contact QSL.NET to help me with access there ? any
QSL.NET mirror ? I'm a ham radio and QSL.NET is an excellent source of
ideas.

You could probably contact them by using any of several Web-based
email services - e.g. Yahoo.com or similar ones. Create yourself a
free account and use it to email QSL.NET - since the email itself will
originate at the webmail service's IP address it won't be blocked.

I don't know of any QSL.NET mirrors - it's a self-funded and
donation-funded operation and I don't think anyone has volunteered to
provide a mirror.

You could probably access it semi-indirectly, by using one of the
various "anonymous web surfing" proxy services scattered around the
Net. [There are also about a bazillion wide-open web proxys running
on poorly-configured or Trojan-exploited personal computers on
numerous cable-modem and home-DSL networks, but using these without
the owners' explicit permissions would be very bad form and is quite
often a violation of one or another law.]

--
Dave Platt AE6EO