Old April 19th 04, 10:25 PM
Uwe

Default homebrew specialty paint finish

So the project is done and you want to put it in a box, maybe even paint
it...

Well here is a slightly unrelated inquiry, maybe someone here knows to point
me in the right direction or give me the proper name for a kind of paint, I
call it a crinkle finish, some refer to it as alligator finish.

It is the kind of paint finish you see on Bolex and Arriflex movie cameras,
I also see it on military style electronic gear, very resilient, black
crinkly finish which also prevents the item from slipping out of your hand.

What is it really called and who would have such stuff??

73 Uwe

Old April 19th 04, 10:45 PM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Uwe wrote:

So the project is done and you want to put it in a box, maybe even paint
it...

Well here is a slightly unrelated inquiry, maybe someone here knows to point
me in the right direction or give me the proper name for a kind of paint, I
call it a crinkle finish, some refer to it as alligator finish.

It is the kind of paint finish you see on Bolex and Arriflex movie cameras,
I also see it on military style electronic gear, very resilient, black
crinkly finish which also prevents the item from slipping out of your hand.

What is it really called and who would have such stuff??

Usually called "wrinkle finish" or "crinkle finish" paint, I believe.

Antique Electronic Supply carries it in black and grey, at least -
browse http://www.tubesandmore.com/ and search for "paint".

It's apparently available from Krylon as "wrinkle paint", and from
Plasti-kote / Volspar. The Plasti-kote type is being sold as an
automotive spray paint, "Perfect for air cleaners and valve covers".

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old April 20th 04, 01:34 AM
John Popelish

http://www.mikeogara.net/tools/paint...sol-12-oz.html
http://www.nfauto.co.uk/wrinkle_paint_chrome.htm
http://auto-restoration.akoss.net/ca...s-and-Coatings
http://cruiseclassics.com/partswarehouse/products.htm
http://www.speco.com.au/vht_special.html

--
John Popelish

Old April 21st 04, 04:05 AM
Mike T.

"Uwe" wrote in message
So the project is done and you want to put it in a box, maybe even paint
it...

Well here is a slightly unrelated inquiry, maybe someone here knows to

point
me in the right direction or give me the proper name for a kind of paint,

call it a crinkle finish, some refer to it as alligator finish.

It is the kind of paint finish you see on Bolex and Arriflex movie

cameras,
I also see it on military style electronic gear, very resilient, black
crinkly finish which also prevents the item from slipping out of your

hand.

What is it really called and who would have such stuff??

73 Uwe

See above links for various possibilities, sorry I can't help you. However,
being a 'film professsional', by virture of my job, I've also seen these
cameras 'up close'. What I was wondering was: is this truly 'paint' on those
Arri's or more like a custom colored & baked on finish. The finishes are
almost bulletproof / scratchproof and talk about resilient. If those cameras
are indeed 'painted' - it's amazing because of it's durability.

Thanks for a good question
Mike T

Old April 21st 04, 05:44 AM
Paul_Morphy

"Mike T." wrote in message
See above links for various possibilities, sorry I can't help you.

However,
being a 'film professsional', by virture of my job, I've also seen these
cameras 'up close'. What I was wondering was: is this truly 'paint' on

those
Arri's or more like a custom colored & baked on finish. The finishes are
almost bulletproof / scratchproof and talk about resilient. If those

cameras
are indeed 'painted' - it's amazing because of it's durability.

These are Swiss and German cameras, after all. They don't fool around.
Commercial wrinkle finish required a few steps to complete, it wasn't simply
sprayed on. Like all good paint jobs, it was baked, which hardens it. I once
saw a 1969 GTO done in black wrinkle. Saved having to wax it, I guess.

73,

"PM"

Old April 21st 04, 07:23 PM
Uwe

So here is what happenend, following some of the leads from here I got
myself a can of wrinkle paint through a local automotive supplier.

They want three heavy coats spaced ten minutes apart and then leave it alone
for 24h.

The wrinkle develops after 2 or so hours if you did everything right, mostly
that means heavy even coats.

I tested the stuff on an angled piece with corners and crevices and there it
is difficult to control the thickness and the results vary also. A flat
portion seems easier but you still need to control the thickness otherwise
you will end up with areas which don't wrinkle.

For my purpose, rejuvenating the face plate of a military type electronic
device I think I will be fine, but I can see that there is definetly a
learning curve before I spray paint my Bolex movie camera here in the
kitchen...

73 Uwe

in article ,