Old April 22nd 04, 03:11 AM
Dave Platt

Greetings,

Recently I bought a grab bag of mixed toroids from www.allelectronics.com .
I bought some T-37's and T-50's. The problem is... they're not color coded,
and not identified by mix. So I have mystery toroids T-37-?? and T-50-??...

The question is, is there a way to come up w/ a rough estimate of the mix
value? I wound some test coils and come up w/ these figures:

T-50 15turns 30awg = ~150uH
T-37 9turns 30awg = ~180uH

Perhaps there is a chart or something similar somewhere that I have
overlooked that will give me an idea.

Start at http://www.amidoncorp.com/aai_productselection.htm

Follow the "Iron Powder Cores" and "Ferrite cores" links.

The formulas, and the specific inductance index A(L) values for
various toroid formulas, are on those pages.

It's important to note that the A(L) values are stated in different
units for the two toroid types. For iron-powder cores, it's given as
"microhenries for 100 turns", while for ferrite cores it's
"millihenries for 1000 turns".

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old April 22nd 04, 03:27 AM
ZappedOneTooManyTimes

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:55:20 -0500, "J Shrum" wrote:

Greetings,

Recently I bought a grab bag of mixed toroids from www.allelectronics.com .
I bought some T-37's and T-50's. The problem is... they're not color coded,
and not identified by mix. So I have mystery toroids T-37-?? and T-50-??...

If they are not color coded then I guess they aren't Amidon toroids,
at least all the Amidon toroids I have seen were color coded, Amidon
does have all the specifications for all their toroids posted on their website
though:
http://www.amidoncorp.com/aai_productselection.htm

The question is, is there a way to come up w/ a rough estimate of the mix
value? I wound some test coils and come up w/ these figures:

T-50 15turns 30awg = ~150uH
T-37 9turns 30awg = ~180uH

Perhaps there is a chart or something similar somewhere that I have
overlooked that will give me an idea.

If you are running Windows, you can use this program to do
quick inductance calculations for many different toroids types:
http://www.qsl.net/dl5swb/minirk_e.htm , and to get specs on
different toroid types. A real time saver for calculating the inductance values
and it also shows the Inductance Index for each toroid and the frequency
bandwidth for that composition type, which might help you to get a better
idea of the composition type of your toroids. I think it will still be hard to determine
the composition types for certain, although the different composition types do have
different Inductance Index values for the same size toroid.

Old April 22nd 04, 05:36 AM
Tom Bruhns

There are lots of web resources. Here's one:

http://www.amidoncorp.com/ace_iptcforrf.htm

And another: http://www.bytemark.com/

You can search for Amidon or Bytemark or Fair-Rite or Ferronics, and
also just search for 'powdered iron toroid' or 'ferrite toroid' and
find lots of things. Those links will take you more-or-less directly
to Al values for a wide range of cores. Just remember that inductance
goes as the square of the number of turns, so if Al is uH/100 turns,
the inductance will be Al*(your_turns/100)^2.

Cheers,
Tom

"J Shrum" wrote in message ...
Greetings,

Recently I bought a grab bag of mixed toroids from www.allelectronics.com .
I bought some T-37's and T-50's. The problem is... they're not color coded,
and not identified by mix. So I have mystery toroids T-37-?? and T-50-??...

The question is, is there a way to come up w/ a rough estimate of the mix
value? I wound some test coils and come up w/ these figures:

T-50 15turns 30awg = ~150uH
T-37 9turns 30awg = ~180uH

Perhaps there is a chart or something similar somewhere that I have
overlooked that will give me an idea.

Thanks for all assistance.

Jim Shrum - KC9FFX

Old April 22nd 04, 04:26 PM
Reg Edwards

Use program TOROID from website below.

Enter into the program the data you already have, core dimensions and
inductance, and the remaining information such as core permeability, the
number of turns for other inductances, will be computed.

Program avoids guessing who is the manufacturer. Who needs to know if you
have already grab-bagged the items.

From inductance/number-of-turns data you can guess the type of material,
ferrite or iron powder, if you are interested.

Download program TOROID in a few seconds and run immediately.
---
Regards from Reg, G4FGQ
For Free Radio Design Software go to
http://www.btinternet.com/~g4fgq.regp