Old April 27th 04, 02:14 PM
FAZAMY

Default RFI Problem With Lamp

I want to hear from someone who has successfully solved an rfi problem with a
lamp that switches on/off with the touch of a hand on a switch. It uses 2 high
intensity bulbs that can light at 3 wattage levels at the touch of the hand on
the switch. It also has a transformer. I've tried toroids on the ac line to
the transformer and away from the transformer. The problem occurs when I'm on
40m.

73,
KB2AMY
Old April 27th 04, 02:50 PM
Incognito

The ARRL site has some cures -- see URL;
http://www.arrl.org/tis/info/touchlamp.html

--
Incognito By Necessity (:-(

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
- - -Harry S Truman

Old April 27th 04, 04:43 PM
Bob

The problem is poor design of the switching system. It uses a triac with
duty cycle control of the current. Since it switches the lamp on late in
the cycle, there is a big transient each cycle.

It's an old design. I don't know if the newer ones are any better. I would
think it had to mee FCC part 15 to be sold; how old is it? Talk to the
manufacturer and the FCC to find out if it's still being sold.

About the only thing you can do is shield and filter, but shielding would
make the lamp rather useless. If you are concerned about 7 MHz noise then
better use filtering components that are effective at that frequency.

73, Bob

Old April 27th 04, 07:17 PM
Jeremy Salch

FAZAMY wrote:

I want to hear from someone who has successfully solved an rfi problem

with a
lamp that switches on/off with the touch of a hand on a switch. It uses 2

high
intensity bulbs that can light at 3 wattage levels at the touch of the

hand on
the switch. It also has a transformer. I've tried toroids on the ac line

the transformer and away from the transformer. The problem occurs when

I'm on
40m.

73,
KB2AMY

I had the same problem, and the only thing i could do to solve it was to
unplug the lamp.

--
Registered Linux User #346565
http://www.tblx.net

Old May 1st 04, 06:02 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Every few days mine comes on at either 6 or 7 AM but this morning it was
6:15AM. It's not me because I'm just getting up and if anyone knows how to
track the cause I'd sure like to know.
73
Hank WD5JFR