Old May 1st 04, 02:37 AM
Ken Scharf

Default ARRL CD ROMS under linux.

For those hams running linux, I've found I can read
the ARRL QEX and QST View cd roms under linux using either
the Gimp or Open Office writer. These cdroms are scanned
images in tiff or jpg formats which import into either program.
By importing into an OO text document I can convert the articles
into PDF files and print double sided to my printer for
hard copy.

I started looking at writing a program to search the QST view
database found on the disks. The database on the disks up to
1990 (not sure about the 1995 disk) is an ascii representation
of a 3 table SQL database so I can create a MySQL, Posgres, or
similar SQL database to search. The QEX disk has a binary database
of which some sections are readable under vi as text that also appear
to be a set of SQL tables, so extraction of useful data may be
possible here as well. If I could find documention on performing
'macro' commands on a running OO session from another program I could
use OO to build pdf files from a search application (you can do this
under windows using VB script to control a word session).

The QST view database is somewhat incomplete as the final pages
of an article are not referenced in the database and you have to
manually hunt for them, even if you use the windows software.
QEX mostly kept the articles contiguous.