Old January 23rd 16, 12:59 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Morseing it up?

On 1/22/2016 4:53 PM, Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
In Fred Roberts writes:

[...]
It's a very, very good idiot filter.
[...]

As a Morse instructor I can't confirm that more intelligent people
learn CW faster or easier. But CW decidedly is not for the Instant
Gratification Crowd. Determination and endurance are valuable assets
when learning Morse.

73, Eddi ._._.

I don't know about "faster" or "easier". But I have experienced in over
45 years of teaching, that those with the will and determination to
learn the code succeed. Those who do not don't learn.

I've always been willing to help those who are willing to spend the time
and effort. However, there is no way I can be a substitute for it.

--
==================
Remove the "x" from my email address

==================
Old January 23rd 16, 08:07 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 23/01/2016 00:59, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/22/2016 4:53 PM, Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
In Fred Roberts writes:

[...]
It's a very, very good idiot filter.
[...]

As a Morse instructor I can't confirm that more intelligent people
learn CW faster or easier. But CW decidedly is not for the Instant
Gratification Crowd. Determination and endurance are valuable assets
when learning Morse.

73, Eddi ._._.

I don't know about "faster" or "easier". But I have experienced in over
45 years of teaching, that those with the will and determination to
learn the code succeed. Those who do not don't learn.

I've always been willing to help those who are willing to spend the time
and effort. However, there is no way I can be a substitute for it.

I tried to teach GM1FLQ once but he didn't respond...he said he wasn't
musical ??? ....any excuse

--
Cheat your way through life, join the Freemasons
DIGITAL just doesn't work properly most of the time
Old January 23rd 16, 08:12 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On 22/01/2016 22:09, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Edmund H. Ramm" wrote in message
In Fred Roberts writes:

[...]
It's a very, very good idiot filter.
[...]

As a Morse instructor I can't confirm that more intelligent people
learn CW faster or easier. But CW decidedly is not for the Instant
Gratification Crowd. Determination and endurance are valuable assets
when learning Morse.

73, Eddi ._._.

very true I wasn't intelligent but I was determined to get on HF .......

whereas some intelligent people just waited ...decades then upgraded to
an M3 ...tee hee...I remember that person...used to be on here .....

Old January 23rd 16, 08:20 AM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
On 23/01/2016 00:59, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/22/2016 4:53 PM, Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
In Fred Roberts writes:

[...]
It's a very, very good idiot filter.
[...]

As a Morse instructor I can't confirm that more intelligent people
learn CW faster or easier. But CW decidedly is not for the Instant
Gratification Crowd. Determination and endurance are valuable assets
when learning Morse.

73, Eddi ._._.

I don't know about "faster" or "easier". But I have experienced in over
45 years of teaching, that those with the will and determination to
learn the code succeed. Those who do not don't learn.

I've always been willing to help those who are willing to spend the time
and effort. However, there is no way I can be a substitute for it.

I tried to teach GM1FLQ once but he didn't respond...he said he wasn't
musical ??? ....any excuse

Not musical?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_qQZ92onhU
and the follow-ons.
--
Ian
Old January 23rd 16, 04:10 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/22/2016 4:53 PM, Edmund H. Ramm wrote:

As a Morse instructor I can't confirm that more intelligent people
learn CW faster or easier. But CW decidedly is not for the Instant
Gratification Crowd. Determination and endurance are valuable assets
when learning Morse.

73, Eddi ._._.

I don't know about "faster" or "easier". But I have experienced in over
45 years of teaching, that those with the will and determination to
learn the code succeed. Those who do not don't learn.

I've always been willing to help those who are willing to spend the time
and effort. However, there is no way I can be a substitute for it.

Will, determination, endurance and so on are all well and good, but are all
also totally moot points. The fact is, morse is not necessary for many,
many amateurs to enjoy their hobby. Not necessary in terms of there being
so many other modes and methods of amateur communication and not necessary
in terms of it no longer being a requirement to access sections of
spectrum. If somebody wants to use morse then they are free and able to
learn it and use it. Most amateurs these days don't bother learning it,
which probably tells us quite a lot, but most glaringly it suggests that
it's a mode that simply doesn't have a strong enough pull factor to
convince people to learn it without having a gun (in the form of HF access)
placed against their head. If people really wanted to communicate in morse,
we'd see a lot more people learning it.

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur

Old January 23rd 16, 04:13 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016, Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
On 23/01/2016 00:59, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/22/2016 4:53 PM, Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
In Fred Roberts writes:

[...]
[...]

When I wsa a kid, I had a record titled "CQ Serenade". It was an actual
song, put together by a ham or two in the music business. I guess it was
kind of big band, but it actually incorporated CW. I can't remember if
they lyrics referenced amateur radio or not.

I can't even remember how I got the record, I think someone had a bunch of
them from when the record was "hot".

Michael

Old January 23rd 16, 04:19 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Michael Black wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016, Ian Jackson wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_qQZ92onhU
and the follow-ons.

When I wsa a kid, I had a record titled "CQ Serenade". It was an actual
song, put together by a ham or two in the music business. I guess it was
kind of big band, but it actually incorporated CW. I can't remember if
they lyrics referenced amateur radio or not.

I can't even remember how I got the record, I think someone had a bunch
of them from when the record was "hot".

An all-time favourite album for me is "Radio KAOS" by Roger Waters, which
has morse peppered throughout, as well as being the base of the cover art.
IIRC, at least some of the morse is a "secret" hidden verse for the closing
track "The Tide Is Turning". Give the record a spin on YouTube, it's
cracking stuff (although his later album, "Amused To Death", is much better
and the equal of anything he made with Pink Floyd, including Dark Side Of
The Moon).

--
STC // M0TEY // twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Old January 23rd 16, 04:52 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Michael Black" wrote in message
xample.org...

When I wsa a kid, I had a record titled "CQ Serenade". It was an actual
song, put together by a ham or two in the music business. I guess it was
kind of big band, but it actually incorporated CW. I can't remember if
they lyrics referenced amateur radio or not.
I can't even remember how I got the record, I think someone had a bunch of
them from when the record was "hot".

For many years, one way of training in Morse was the G3HSC Rhythm Method,
which
came as a set of 2 LPs.

Old January 23rd 16, 05:09 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"Michael Black" wrote in message
xample.org...
On Sat, 23 Jan 2016, Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
On 23/01/2016 00:59, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
On 1/22/2016 4:53 PM, Edmund H. Ramm wrote:
In Fred Roberts
writes:

[...]
[...]

I've posted it...couldn't find this thread ....sorry ....

Old January 23rd 16, 05:10 PM posted to uk.radio.amateur,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

"gareth" wrote in message
"Michael Black" wrote in message
xample.org...

When I wsa a kid, I had a record titled "CQ Serenade". It was an actual
song, put together by a ham or two in the music business. I guess it was
kind of big band, but it actually incorporated CW. I can't remember if
they lyrics referenced amateur radio or not.
I can't even remember how I got the record, I think someone had a bunch
of them from when the record was "hot".

For many years, one way of training in Morse was the G3HSC Rhythm Method,
which
came as a set of 2 LPs.

I learned with that on a one valve 33 45 78 record player...think it
buggered up my spacing .....