Old April 7th 16, 05:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default [KB6NU] Decoding callsigns at high speed?

KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog

Decoding callsigns at high speed?

Recently, someone wrote me:

I had the pleasure of a short QSO with you on 40m a month or so ago, and
you offered to answer any questions I might have regarding CW. I do have
one, so here goes.

Im struggling to get my receive speed up from about 18-20 to 25WPM. One of
my stumbling blocks is the ability to decode amateur callsigns at 25WPM+.
At 20 wpm, there is adequate time to decode and digest each character, but
at 25 and higher, the characters and numbers come so quickly that if you
dont IMMEDIATELY recognize the character, youre sunk.you miss the next few
or the entire call.

Ive tried various strategies to get the calls, such as chunking (decoding
the first three characters and then decoding the remaining characters of
the call), just getting the first and last characters and trying to guess
the middle (good luck with that!), or trying to repeat the code sequence
back in my head slower to decode it (awful strategy).

Perhaps there is no substitution for instant recognition of each character
and number, but I was wondering if there was a strategy that assists you in
decoding and retaining a semi-random group of letters and numbers like a
callsign.

I replied:

Hi,

First, let me say that if youre trying to write down the calls instead of
just copying them in your head, I think youre fighting a losing battle. You
might be able to type them, but youll have to be able to touch type to do
that. When Im just ragchewing, I dont write down anything, except to type
in the callsign and other QSO data into my logging program.

Of course, when operating in a contest, you have to log certain
information. Thats part of the contest. When contesting, I use the N1MM
contest software. What I find when I operate in a contest at high speed is
that I just have to go with my gut and not try to analyze every character.
Sure, I make mistakes sometimes, but thats the way it goes.

Having said that, do you about RUFZ? Heres how the website describes it:
Rufz is the abbreviation of the German word Rufzeichen-Hören, which means
listening to Callsigns. RufzXP is an excellent training software for
improving code speed and CW practice, particularly (ultra) high speed
memory copying of true amateur radio calls. Focussing on improvement of CW
proficiency, it is no contest simulator and does not provide for QRM. It
provides additional tools for keeping track of training progress and
comparing with other operators via International RufzXP Toplist.

Another thing you might consider is participating in the CWOps CW Academy.
This program is designed to take someone operating between 15-20 wpm and
get them up to 25 wpm or more.

Keep in touch. Let me know if any of this helps.

Do any of you have a tip for this fellow?

The post Decoding callsigns at high speed? appeared first on KB6NUs Ham
Radio Blog.