Old May 31st 16, 12:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default [KE9V] Back to the Future

ke9v.net

Back to the Future

https://ke9v.net/2016/05/30/back-to-the-future/

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I was a satellite enthusiast. In
those days, we had assets in both high and low earth orbits. I lived on
AO-13 for several years and you could send messages to me via KO-25. Good
times. And then it all fell apart. AO-13 burned up and the Internet took
the place of messaging via amateur radio in all forms.

Most of us retreated to HF, where Ive been ever since. Until this weekend,
when I made a return to the friendly skies. Id been planning to get back
into this facet of the hobby for months. I picked up the required hardware
at Dayton last week and next thing I know, Im in the backyard with a
handheld transceiver in one hand, and an Arrow antenna in the other.

Fox-1A, better known as AO-85, was streaking across the horizon when I
worked Bill, W1PA in FN42 my first amateur radio contact via satellite in
over 16 years.

It felt familiar though in earlier days my shack was climate-controlled and
fully automated. The computer in the shack steered the Az-El rotor on the
roof as well as tuning the radio for Doppler while I simply played the role
of operator. Being a human rotator and radio frequency manipulator requires
dexterity and at least three hands, four is better.

Back to the future, back to space. See you on the birds!