Old June 11th 04, 09:48 AM
aadu

Default superhet schematics

hi,

I'm planning to build a superhet receiver - for learning and for fun.
I have looked at Doug Demaw 'barebones (QST june 82)'.
Any other schematics/recommendations for first time superhet receiver project?

thanks,
aadu
Old June 11th 04, 11:26 AM
R J Carpenter

"aadu" wrote in message
om...
hi,

I'm planning to build a superhet receiver - for learning and for fun.
I have looked at Doug Demaw 'barebones (QST june 82)'.
Any other schematics/recommendations for first time superhet receiver

project?

Don't try to make it small.

Arrange the RF/IF components in a straight line, not bent back on itself (to
avoid feedback/oscillation).

Use a metal chassis - unetched PC board is a good material.

Old June 11th 04, 02:32 PM
Leon Heller

http://www.geocities.com/leon_heller
"aadu" wrote in message
om...
hi,

I'm planning to build a superhet receiver - for learning and for fun.
I have looked at Doug Demaw 'barebones (QST june 82)'.
Any other schematics/recommendations for first time superhet receiver

project?

If you have built a DC Rx, you could always convert it into a superhet by
adding an IF strip, filter, mixer and oscillator.

Build it as small modules - RF/mixer, oscillator, IF, etc. Start with the AF
amp and work back towards the front end. Try making it for AM first with a
diode detector, then add a product detector and BFO.

73, Leon

Old June 12th 04, 07:13 AM
Bill Meara

Aadu:

DeMaw's barebones superhet is a good design to use for a "first superhet"
project. My web site has an article on my experiences building this RX.
Check out the QRP -- Homebrew section of{

http://n2cqr.planetaclix.pt/

73 Bill M0HBR N2CQR CU2JL

Old June 15th 04, 06:21 PM
Jimmy

"aadu" wrote in message
om...
hi,

I'm planning to build a superhet receiver - for learning and for fun.
I have looked at Doug Demaw 'barebones (QST june 82)'.
Any other schematics/recommendations for first time superhet receiver

project?

thanks,
aadu

My first superhet project was a 5 tube AM rx. First was to asseble it on a
breadbord and then in the chassis. After assembly on a breadboard things
went a little crazy from there. Added rf amp, added ham band converters,bfo,
more if stages,crystal filter, Q mult,audio filters,...and so on. After
about a year there was very littleof the of 5 tube radio left on the board
andI never put this thing on a decent chassis but kept it aound for many
years of use.

Second ome was solidstate with each section of the radio built on its own
little PC board. Each section was built and tested then added to the radio
and retested. Kind of cheated on the radio because the VFO was my shop
signal generator. Radio performed well but was never as much fun as the
first for some reason.