Old August 11th 04, 11:29 PM
Henry Kolesnik

Default QST 9/04 Xtal Osc Phase Noise ?

There's a cosntruction article by K2AOP on page 67 for a xtal osc that
sounds appealing to me. ARRL says it couldn't measure the phase noise
because its lower than their equipment. I wish they would have stated how
low their eqpt goes as I was lead to believe they had some of the best.
Anyone have any ideas?
tnx

--
73
Hank WD5JFR

Old August 11th 04, 11:44 PM
Harold E. Johnson

There's a cosntruction article by K2AOP on page 67 for a xtal osc that
sounds appealing to me. ARRL says it couldn't measure the phase noise
because its lower than their equipment. I wish they would have stated how
low their eqpt goes as I was lead to believe they had some of the best.
Anyone have any ideas?
tnx

They can usually get down to -160, -165 dBc/Hz depending on which cheek they
hold their tongue in. I now wish, they'd get me my copy here. Don't often
see a construction article in the rag. Do they take the output from the
crystal using it as the "final" filter?

W4ZCB

Old August 12th 04, 01:28 PM
Henry Kolesnik

I always thought I was last on the QST delivery line. It says its a Pierce
with a gate follower buffer for output. Quite stable and constant output!
It uses 2 2N5460s. I need to find a half dozen 2N5460s so I can build at
least a couple to test receivers.. If someone finds a source please let me
know. Also it someone builds and measures the phase noise please let us
know.
tnx

--
73
Hank WD5JFR
newsjxSc.288203$Oq2.69146@attbi_s52...

Old August 12th 04, 01:50 PM
Harold E. Johnson

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
m...
I always thought I was last on the QST delivery line. It says its a

Pierce
with a gate follower buffer for output. Quite stable and constant output!
It uses 2 2N5460s. I need to find a half dozen 2N5460s so I can build at
least a couple to test receivers.. If someone finds a source please let

me
know. Also it someone builds and measures the phase noise please let us
know.
tnx

Mousser has them, although they seem to be a very ordinary P channel FET.

W4ZCB

Old August 15th 04, 11:43 PM
Ken Scharf

Harold E. Johnson wrote:
"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
m...

I always thought I was last on the QST delivery line. It says its a

Pierce

with a gate follower buffer for output. Quite stable and constant output!
It uses 2 2N5460s. I need to find a half dozen 2N5460s so I can build at
least a couple to test receivers.. If someone finds a source please let

me

know. Also it someone builds and measures the phase noise please let us
know.
tnx

Mousser has them, although they seem to be a very ordinary P channel FET.

W4ZCB

Would 2n5461's work. IIRC they are basicly the same fet, different IDSS
maybe.

Old August 16th 04, 12:11 AM
Harold E. Johnson

Mousser has them, although they seem to be a very ordinary P channel

FET.

W4ZCB

Would 2n5461's work. IIRC they are basicly the same fet, different IDSS
maybe

Digi has them as well, and I have some on order. Doubt there are any
surprises, but hope springs eternal. Suspect that the "Tech Correspondence"
dept didn't have the clout to get the attention of the lab. Will let you
know in about a week.

W4ZCB

Old August 16th 04, 05:59 PM
Harold E. Johnson

Mousser has them, although they seem to be a very ordinary P channel

FET.

I have built it with MPF102s (invert the circuit for correct
polarities). Works as specified.

I realize it will oscillate, what's the phase noise?

W4ZCB

Old August 16th 04, 11:33 PM
Harold E. Johnson

I didn't look closely at this circuit, but the Pierce seems to have

the
crystal from plate to grid, or drain to gate. This seems as though it is
easy to slam the crystal pretty hard (depends on the drain resistor).

I'd
worry about crystal dissipation as this causes drift and ageing issues.

In
VCOs, the more tightly you couple the tuned circuit to the device, the
poorer the phase noise. We always had to get the things to just barely
oscillate under worst case conditions to get the lowest phase noise.

There
are other ways, but memory fails...

I like the good old standby common collector colpitts used in just about

all
Motorola channel elements & oscillators. Hard to make one which won't
oscillate.
--
Steve N,

Agreed, and the statement about starting with ~2 volts indicates way too
much feedback at 12 volts. Certainly none of the above leads one to think
it's a low noise circuit, just going to build one to measure. Suspect that
the "no free lunch" still applies and that to get really low noise operation
you still need current limiting, AGC 'd or otherwise and tricks like feeding
the output thru the crystal to clean it up. Also believe there's probably a
contribution by the draftsman again and the 22 meg gate resistor is really a
second 2.2 Megohm .

W4ZCB

Old August 17th 04, 01:18 AM
Henry Kolesnik

From Google on k2aop: www2.arrl.org/qst/feedback/2004/10/Feedback1004.pdf

Feedback A couple of errors crept into the K2AOP oscillator schematic in
Technical Correspondence [Figure 1, "A Simple, Well-Behaved Crystal
Oscillator," Sep 2004, p 67]. R1, shown as 22 M?, should be 2.2 M?. R5,
shown as 100 ?, should be 1000 ?. The variable trimmer capacitor (shown as
C4) should be C3 (18 pF). C4 should be a fixed capacitor.

Old August 17th 04, 02:15 AM
Harold E. Johnson

"Henry Kolesnik" wrote in message
news
From Google on k2aop: www2.arrl.org/qst/feedback/2004/10/Feedback1004.pdf

Feedback A couple of errors crept into the K2AOP oscillator schematic in
Technical Correspondence [Figure 1, "A Simple, Well-Behaved Crystal
Oscillator," Sep 2004, p 67]. R1, shown as 22 M?, should be 2.2 M?. R5,
shown as 100 ?, should be 1000 ?. The variable trimmer capacitor (shown as
C4) should be C3 (18 pF). C4 should be a fixed capacitor.

That draftsman has to know where every skeleton is buried within 100 miles
of Newington to hold down that job.

W4ZCB