Old August 27th 04, 08:32 AM
Mike W

Default Doubling a reference frequency

GM Folks,
My 10Mhz TCXO that I use for a frequency counter timebase has gone
toes up and I only have a 5Mhz one available to replace it. Can anyone
offer ideas to double the 5 Mhz TCXO keeping the M:S ratio accurate
enough for use with the frequency counter ?.

The 5Mhz TCXO has an output of 2v P-P sinewave into 50R and I need TTL
level 50:50 M:S at 10Mhz.

Thanks, Mike W
Old August 27th 04, 08:48 AM
Leon Heller

"Mike W" wrote in message
GM Folks,
My 10Mhz TCXO that I use for a frequency counter timebase has gone
toes up and I only have a 5Mhz one available to replace it. Can anyone
offer ideas to double the 5 Mhz TCXO keeping the M:S ratio accurate
enough for use with the frequency counter ?.

The 5Mhz TCXO has an output of 2v P-P sinewave into 50R and I need TTL
level 50:50 M:S at 10Mhz.

You could use a diode doubler with a tuned 10 MHz amplifier.

73, Leon

Old August 27th 04, 04:20 PM
Michael Black

Gary Schafer ) writes:
Check your counter specs. Some will take 1, 5 or 10 mhz time base
without doing anything.

73
Gary K4FMX

That's a good point. Given that they will all divide the timebase down
to a very low frequency, even if there's nothing specific one could likely tap
higher up on the divider chain.

Michael VE2BVW

Old August 28th 04, 07:40 PM
Harold E. Johnson

My 10Mhz TCXO that I use for a frequency counter timebase has gone
toes up and I only have a 5Mhz one available to replace it. Can anyone
offer ideas to double the 5 Mhz TCXO keeping the M:S ratio accurate
enough for use with the frequency counter ?.

Feed the 5 MHz to both inputs of a high level DBM. The output will be sum
and difference, kill the DC component with a 0.1 uF coupling cap and you
probably can use the 10 MHz result. If not, a little low pass filter to get
rid of the higher frequency responses will make it useable.

W4ZCB

Old August 29th 04, 01:03 AM
Reg Edwards

A few turns on a teeny ferrite ring 1:2 transformer, centre-tapped
secondary, and a couple of diodes will double the frequency without any
power loss.

Old August 29th 04, 08:01 AM
Mike W

Thankyou everyone for your responses.

I eventually dived into the counters divider chain and found there was
a div2 just where I needed it, so I'm back to "nearly on frequency".
All I have to do now is verify the accuracy of the 5Mhz TCXO :-)

atb Mike W