Old September 1st 04, 01:29 AM
DJboutit

Charlie's Airwaves is over pirced on almost every thing. Nice place to go
and look & repair prices are not that bad. I remeber when the EPO Houston
use to sell alot more surplus stuff that was like 3 years ago. Now the only
surpul stuff they have is some computer stuff batteries power supplys and
generators. I like the epo back in the day not it is just good to go & look
you might find something you need. I am also looking for a good surplus
electronic store within about 50 or so miles of Houston anybody know of any
good ones.

Old September 1st 04, 03:43 AM
Scott W. Harvey

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 04:59:12 -0500, "truegridtz"
wrote:

Sounds like they are concerned with the same mess we have here with
computers and cells phones ending up in the dump.

Other WEEE info indicated that they are mainly concerned with dangerous
chemicles in batteries, etc. It does sound like the inspection process
would drive up the price of everything.

If this would force the manufacturers, particularly Chinese ones, to
pay more up front to cover the environmental impact of their
products, then it is a good thing, even if it means consumers will pay
more as well.

For too long, importers of this cheap crap have been permitted to
operate with scant concern about where their products will ultimately
end up. They have been able to price their wares artificially low
because the true cost of manufacturing and ownership is not borne by
them. Why should they care? They don't have to pay the costs of
disposal!

About four to six times a year, I go to our local dump to deposit
refuse that is the result of seasonal cleaning. Every time I am there,
I see an enormous dumpster that is just FILLED FILLED FILLED to over
the top with late-model electronic junk of every description. It makes
me sick.......These items are totally useless albatrosses. No one can
repair them, cannabilization for useful parts is almost impossible,
and disposal in an environmentally acceptable manner is quite
expensive.

IMHO, These items should be put on a giant barge and sent back to the
country of origin with the caveat that a trade embargo will be imposed
against any country that refuses to take them back. Maybe when China,
Mexico, and other cheap-labor countries experience first hand what a
colossal pain it is to deal with the ass end of their product's
mercilessly short life cycles, maybe they won't dump quite so much of
this junk on our shores.

-Scott

DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE AT THE EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE!
Instead, go to the following web page to get my real email address:
http://member.newsguy.com/~polezi/scottsaddy.htm
(This has been done because I am sick of SPAMMERS making my email unusable)

Need a schematic? check out the Schematic Bank at:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/schematics/

Archive of alt.binaries.pictures.radio binary postings:
http://techpreservation.dyndns.org/abpr/
Old September 1st 04, 06:05 AM
Mr Neon

Just a test to ck my name change.

Old September 1st 04, 06:11 AM
truegridtz

wrote:

[...]

I doubt that the Chinese are really worried about what we want. Communists
are not known for having much of a conscience.

I recall seeing a TV documentary months ago about the recycling of old
computers. They bust them all up and sort the plastic, etc. Seems they
were breaking even or even making a profit. The problem is getting them
before people throw them in the dump. This was a huge operation with
conveyors belts and big piles of dead or near dead computers. I think they
had something like what the tree trimmers haul behind their trucks. Grinds
them up into little recyclable chunks....sort of like spam. Grunt labor
stands there all day by the conveyor belt with Tylenol and rubber gloves.
At least they can claim they are in the computer industry. The last word in
computer technology. MH

Old September 1st 04, 06:51 AM
Jeffrey D Angus

Scott W. Harvey wrote:
IMHO, These items should be put on a giant barge and sent back to the
country of origin with the caveat that a trade embargo will be imposed
against any country that refuses to take them back. Maybe when China,
Mexico, and other cheap-labor countries experience first hand what a
colossal pain it is to deal with the ass end of their product's
mercilessly short life cycles, maybe they won't dump quite so much of
this junk on our shores.

Funny you should mention that, That's where a LOT of our surplus
(i.e. garbage) computers end up. They've got a growing problem in
China now about the recycling centers causing massive ecological
damage to the towns that they recycle in. From burning plastic
insulation off to salvage copper, and the chemical sludge from
stripping gold and silver plating.

Jeff

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
Tara Morice as Fran, from the movie "Strictly Ballroom"
http://www.grendel.com

Old September 1st 04, 07:11 AM
truegridtz

"Jeffrey D Angus" wrote in message

Scott W. Harvey wrote:
IMHO, These items should be put on a giant barge and sent back to the
country of origin with the caveat that a trade embargo will be imposed
against any country that refuses to take them back. Maybe when China,
Mexico, and other cheap-labor countries experience first hand what a
colossal pain it is to deal with the ass end of their product's
mercilessly short life cycles, maybe they won't dump quite so much of
this junk on our shores.

Funny you should mention that, That's where a LOT of our surplus
(i.e. garbage) computers end up. They've got a growing problem in
China now about the recycling centers causing massive ecological
damage to the towns that they recycle in. From burning plastic
insulation off to salvage copper, and the chemical sludge from
stripping gold and silver plating.

Jeff

One of the main reasons that we never seem to get sufficient control of our
pollution problem is the lack of pollution control in developing nations.
We must compete and pollution control is expensive.

Sacrificing human health for corporate profits is the global format. MH

Old September 1st 04, 10:22 AM

In rec.antiques.radio+phono Scott W. Harvey wrote:
About four to six times a year, I go to our local dump to deposit
refuse that is the result of seasonal cleaning. Every time I am there,
I see an enormous dumpster that is just FILLED FILLED FILLED to over
the top with late-model electronic junk of every description. It makes
me sick.......These items are totally useless albatrosses. No one can
repair them, cannabilization for useful parts is almost impossible,
and disposal in an environmentally acceptable manner is quite
expensive.

I bet at least half of those is easily repairable ($5 in parts, an hour
labour at most). Most people don't consider repairing because it is
cheap to buy a new one. It's not the bad design per se. Just make the
stuff more expensive (import taxes) and demand a 3 year warranty or so.

IMHO, These items should be put on a giant barge and sent back to the
country of origin with the caveat that a trade embargo will be imposed
against any country that refuses to take them back. Maybe when China,
Mexico, and other cheap-labor countries experience first hand what a
colossal pain it is to deal with the ass end of their product's
mercilessly short life cycles, maybe they won't dump quite so much of
this junk on our shores.

I can't say for sure whther this would work (items may just be dumped
into the ocean), but it could be an idea.

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.
Old September 1st 04, 10:33 AM

In rec.antiques.radio+phono truegridtz wrote:
I doubt that the Chinese are really worried about what we want. Communists
are not known for having much of a conscience.

I think lack of conscience is not a communist problem per se. This
having been said, I know that at least some European communist
countries, tried to make their design and manufacturing as solid as
possible. Because in their philosophy there was no such thing as
unemployment, and there often was a shortage of supplies, there was no
reason not to put a good amount of engineering into their stuff. I can
confirm 2 East-German black and white TV sets running since 1988 without
needing repairs (and many more of those sets in continuous use in the
Prague metro, if they were not drowned 2 years ago). Some radio
collectors can confirm as well that East German and Czech radio's seem
rather well built (alltough I have not seen too many of those, but what
I have seen was nice).

---
Met vriendelijke groet,

Maarten Bakker.