Old September 3rd 04, 04:10 AM
Tony

Default Modify a tuner to receive outer frequencies

do exist a simple method for modify a home radio tuner to get FM and AM
frequencies out of the range?
Can I receive station up and below the limits?

Old September 3rd 04, 06:11 AM
Gregg

Behold, Tony signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

do exist a simple method for modify a home radio tuner to get FM and AM
frequencies out of the range?

Yes, but it's not simple. Your tracking will be messed up and alignment
with an oscilloscope needed.

--
Gregg t3h g33k
"Ratings are for transistors....tubes have guidelines"
Old September 3rd 04, 06:58 AM
Tony

And does exist a little doc to do that?

I use PGP. Ask for my key if interested.
-

Old September 3rd 04, 11:17 AM
Peter Parker

"Gregg" wrote in message
Behold, Tony signalled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

do exist a simple method for modify a home radio tuner to get FM and AM
frequencies out of the range?

Yes, but it's not simple.

Disagree.

Your tracking will be messed up

Agree. Sensitivity will suffer at one end of the dial.

and alignment with an oscilloscope needed.

Disagree. Just your ears will do.

Assuming we're talking the old style dial tuners, and not digitally tuned
receivers, it's possible to get them to recieve up to 1.8 or 1.9 MHz. You
can sometimes hear AM b/cast stations above 1.6 MHz and amateur radio 160m
activity (some of which is AM) above 1.8 MHz.

Details at http//www.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/160.htm

At one time I fiddled with an FM clock radio and could hear ambulance or
police around 80 MHz. The bandwidth was dreadful, signals blotted each other
out and you had to crank up the vol control due to the low deviations used
(relative to b/cast WB FM).

73, Peter VK3YE

Old September 3rd 04, 12:03 PM
Tony

Details at http//www.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/160.htm

broken

Old September 3rd 04, 01:10 PM
Martin

"Peter Parker" wrote in message

"Gregg" wrote in message
[...]

Ahh - the good old days!!! I remember putting 10pF ceramic caps across the
FM side of the tuning cap in an old AM/FM clock radio, then listening to the
local police on 83-84 MHz. Worked well if you turned up the volume and, as
you say, had some separation between the freq's you wanted to listen to.

Cheers

Martin, VK2UMJ

Old September 3rd 04, 08:52 PM
Amy dmith

You can BUY tuners that cover other bands really cheap. Just like TV tuners
but cover other bands too. Sharp makes them and others. about $30 a pop.

Old September 3rd 04, 09:10 PM
Steve Nosko

My first "short wave" receiver was an AM radio (550-1600 kHz). An article in
pop electronics or somewhere gave instructions for making two coils to put
in parallel with the existing ones (RF & OSC) to raise the frequency up to,
I think, the 80 meter range, as I recall. Of course, AM was big then.

--
Steve N, K,9;d, c. i My email has no u's.

Old September 3rd 04, 10:30 PM
Peter Parker

Try http://www.alphalink.com.au/~parkerp/160.htm !

Old September 4th 04, 10:45 PM
Padraigh ProAmerica

Several years ago I was driving, and stopped for the night at a Howard
Johnson's. The only room they had available had no TV, so I brought i an
AM-FM portable I had in the car.

The radio had spent some time in the sun, and was pretty well 'cooked',
you might say.

The FM section didn't work at all; the AM section picked up SWBC quite
well; I spent the evening listening between VOA and BBC.

I do NOT reccomend this method! :-)

"An armed society is a polite society"

Robert A. Heinlein