Old October 10th 04, 11:00 AM
Harke Smits

Default GPIB-ENET control software

Hi all,

Recently I acquired a GPIB-ENET controller. It appears to work. With this
interface I want to control RF equipment. I can buy NI official software,
but first I want to know if there's any shareware available, possible in the
scientific world.
Please advise.
Regards,
Harke, PA0HRK

Old October 10th 04, 12:03 PM
Airy R. Bean

If you're installing in a PC using Windows, then it is usual for the
low-level drivers to be provided by the card manufacturer.

Old October 10th 04, 11:05 PM
John Miles

In article , yrrah53
@yahoo.com says...
Hi all,

Recently I acquired a GPIB-ENET controller. It appears to work. With this
interface I want to control RF equipment. I can buy NI official software,
but first I want to know if there's any shareware available, possible in the
scientific world.

The NI driver page at http://www.ni.com/support/gpib/versions.htm
suggests that you have to pay them US $50.00 for a license to use the NI
488.2 drivers. Pretty lame, if that's true. My guess is that they are
expecting you (the end user) to cough up patent royalties that they (NI)
have to pay to someone else.

I would go ahead and download their "NI-488.2 (Win32) Version 2.2 for
Windows 2000/98/ME/XP" package (http://snipurl.com/9o9w) and see if it
installs. If they don't, you will not be able to use your controller
until you pay them $50.00.

Once you've successfully installed the NI 488.2 drivers, there are quite
a few shareware/freeware applications that will work with your hardware.
I've just released a new version of my HP 7470A plotter emulator that
works with any of the National Instruments interfaces
(http://www.speakeasy.net/~jmiles1/ke5fx/7470.htm).

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam