Old October 27th 04, 01:55 PM
chafik CN8JV

Default Icom 706 MK-II won't power up

My problem is that I have an Icom 706 MK-II, that won't power up.
When I push the power button I can hear a relay click in the radio,
and a thump in the speaker but that is it. I've checked the fuses
internal and external all are ok. Does anyone have any suggestions as
to a fix this problem.

Thanks in advance and 73's
CN8JV Chafik
Old October 27th 04, 03:17 PM

Symptom: Radio won't power up.
Probable Cause: Burned ground circuit trace in flex cable.
Cu Replace flex cable EP2 at main board.

(http://www.icomamerica.com/support/

Old October 30th 04, 01:57 PM
chafik CN8JV

wrote in message ...
Symptom: Radio won't power up.
Probable Cause: Burned ground circuit trace in flex cable.
Cu Replace flex cable EP2 at main board.

(http://www.icomamerica.com/support/

Sorry
my english is verybad
so I dont know what is a flex cable?
Old October 30th 04, 09:32 PM
Rex

(
http://www.icomamerica.com/support/

Sorry
my english is verybad
so I dont know what is a flex cable?

I don't know anything about this radio, but flex is short for flexible
(bendable, can be bent). Typically these cables are thin plastic sheets
with printed circuit traces on them rather than wires.

If the cable has a burnt trace, you may be able to see it with your
eyes.

Old October 27th 04, 05:47 PM
xpyttl

Don't forget to check your supply. The 706 needs about 11 volts and if you
have the backlight turned on, it draws significant current in receive. In
my wife's car, on a cold day, I get this symptom if the engine isn't
running. If you measure less than 12 volts at the power plug, and/or if
your supply lines are a little light, I'd be suspicious of that.

Old October 30th 04, 02:02 PM
chafik CN8JV

"xpyttl" wrote in message ...
Don't forget to check your supply. The 706 needs about 11 volts and if you
have the backlight turned on, it draws significant current in receive. In
my wife's car, on a cold day, I get this symptom if the engine isn't
running. If you measure less than 12 volts at the power plug, and/or if
your supply lines are a little light, I'd be suspicious of that.

..

"chafik CN8JV" wrote in message
My problem is that I have an Icom 706 MK-II, that won't power up.
When I push the power button I can hear a relay click in the radio,
and a thump in the speaker but that is it. I've checked the fuses
internal and external all are ok. Does anyone have any suggestions as
to a fix this problem.

Thanks in advance and 73's
CN8JV Chafik

The power supply is OK
I think I have connected the 8V output from the TRX to the Ground from
the PC sound Card!!!
any idea please?
What compounenets should I replce?