Old November 21st 04, 06:15 PM
Kevin Aylward

Terry wrote:
Was anybody keeping count of the number of postings to this thread
BEFORE it became personal and acrimonious?
Seems like some posters lack the necessary sense of humour? They seem
to hate anythingthey say be challenged?
Then, as a reaction they descend in childish name calling and
attempts at derision. Shame!

Sticking to the subject. "Why electricity (for our antique radios of
course) is/is not free". Well, hmm! The tube heaters use full wave,
but what about those pulses of one way rectified half wave AC for the
B+? (Primarily in non transformer radios!). Intended pun; non power
transformer radios don't have a primary! :-)

Personally I'd like to 'rectify'? my high electricity cost!
Our consumption is recorded by a 60 cycle analog AC meter on the
outside of my house, which is owned by the power company and read and
billed monthly. Maybe I could get those positive half cycles and then
not 'return' the negative ones, as someone has already suggested, and
reduce electricity consumption that way? Joking of course :-) What
good would half cycles be to respectable AC operated equipment?

So anybody got any other 'practical' ideas, in addition to burning my
non electric wood stove during the winter, to reducing my electrical
heating cost?

Our domestic electricity presently costs about 9 cents Canadian per
kilowatt hour. That's roughly 7 cents US and roughly 4 UK New Pence,
per unit/kilowatt hour.

Which means running ones 1MW anti-gravity machine only costs a trivial
$70 per hour. Cheap at twice the price.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Old November 21st 04, 08:42 PM
Terry

"Jim L." wrote in message
om...
Hi- If you are not using any "electricity" then turn off your main circuit
breaker. You should not notice any difference. Jim

Still wondering if there is a way to 'rectify' this thread misunderstanding?

Old November 21st 04, 10:48 PM
Ken Taylor

"Terry" wrote in message

"Jim L." wrote in message
om...
Hi- If you are not using any "electricity" then turn off your main

circuit
breaker. You should not notice any difference. Jim

Still wondering if there is a way to 'rectify' this thread

misunderstanding?

I've got bucket loads of half-waves I rectified and don't need if anyone
wants to make an offer.....

Old November 22nd 04, 12:33 AM
John Fields

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:48:19 +1300, "Ken Taylor"
wrote:

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .

"Jim L." wrote in message
om...
Hi- If you are not using any "electricity" then turn off your main

circuit
breaker. You should not notice any difference. Jim

Still wondering if there is a way to 'rectify' this thread

misunderstanding?

I've got bucket loads of half-waves I rectified and don't need if anyone
wants to make an offer.....

---
Positive or negative-going?

--
John Fields
Old November 22nd 04, 01:40 AM
Ken Taylor

"John Fields" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 11:48:19 +1300, "Ken Taylor"
wrote:

"Terry" wrote in message
.. .

"Jim L." wrote in message
om...
Hi- If you are not using any "electricity" then turn off your main

circuit
breaker. You should not notice any difference. Jim

Still wondering if there is a way to 'rectify' this thread

misunderstanding?

I've got bucket loads of half-waves I rectified and don't need if anyone
wants to make an offer.....

---
Positive or negative-going?

--
John Fields

Sorry, I don't sort them - they're a job lot.

Ken

Old November 22nd 04, 04:19 AM
Jim Adney

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:42:19 +0000 Paul Burridge
wrote:

The power company run a line to my house. They supply me with
electricity. This amounts to a 230V, 65A facility at the distribution
board in a cupboard under the stairs. I run all my stuff from that
board. The board contains several RCBOs that trip-out in the event of
any leakage current being sensed. If current in = current out; they're
happy and won't trip. Because they don't trip out, I conclude I don't
use any current.
The voltage supplied is 230VAC RMS. Since this is alternating between
equal positive and negative half-cycles, the average level of this
voltage supply is zero.
I use no current and they effectively supply no voltage. Why do I get
billed for electricity usage when I clearly can't have used any?

I've been watching this thread for a couple of days, and I gotta
believe it's just a troll. But while we're at it, why not ask the same
question about your water bill.

After all, they're just charging you for water, most of which just
gets returned, with "interest."

;-)

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA
Old November 22nd 04, 07:23 AM
Rich Grise

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:15:39 +0000, Kevin Aylward wrote:

Terry wrote:
[...]

I don't know where you buy your antigravity machines, but that's way out
of line. Whadday lifting, the Great Pyramids?

;-)
Rich

Old November 22nd 04, 07:59 PM
Rich Grise

wrote:

[...]

This isn't as funny as it sounds. I was renting a room from a guy once,
and he was complaining that when he waters his lawn, they add the
gallonage (or whatever the word is) to his sewer bill, the theory
being that most of the water to a house goes out the city sewer.

I suggested rain barrels, but he didn't think that was very funny, either.

Cheers!
Rich

Old November 23rd 04, 12:27 AM
Paul Burridge

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:59:29 GMT, Rich Grise wrote:

This isn't as funny as it sounds. I was renting a room from a guy once,
and he was complaining that when he waters his lawn, they add the
gallonage (or whatever the word is) to his sewer bill, the theory
being that most of the water to a house goes out the city sewer.

My wastewater charge is directly tied to my incoming water consumption
metering. I get a slight advantage, however, in that I go to the pub
every night, drink 10 pints of beer and don't need the lavatory until
I get home. :P
--

"What is now proved was once only imagin'd." - William Blake, 1793.
Old November 23rd 04, 01:21 AM
Rich Grise

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 00:27:09 +0000, Paul Burridge wrote:

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 19:59:29 GMT, Rich Grise wrote:

This isn't as funny as it sounds. I was renting a room from a guy once,
and he was complaining that when he waters his lawn, they add the
gallonage (or whatever the word is) to his sewer bill, the theory
being that most of the water to a house goes out the city sewer.

My wastewater charge is directly tied to my incoming water consumption
metering. I get a slight advantage, however, in that I go to the pub
every night, drink 10 pints of beer and don't need the lavatory until
I get home. :P

I've heard that that can also keep little critters out of your vegetables.
:-)

Cheers!
Rich