Old November 17th 04, 12:57 AM
Tim Wescott

Default Montreal Fox Question

Anybody on the list who has experience with the Montreal Fox? I just
got one to the point where I can start entering call signs, and it's
acting very strange -- I can enter some letters & numbers, but others
won't go, and if I try my callsign it just pukes.

Is this a known problem, or do I have a unique issue here?

Thanks in advance.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Old November 17th 04, 05:19 AM
Tim Wescott

Can someone with experience with the part tell me if there are
sufficient differences between the PIC 16F84 and the 16F84A to cause
problems during EEPROM write? I have purchased the "A" part for a
circuit (and software) that calls out the plain-jane version. I'm
having problems (described below) that are either the thing locking up
in mid-write or are _really weird_.

Old November 17th 04, 06:12 AM
Dave Platt

In article ,
Tim Wescott wrote:

Can someone with experience with the part tell me if there are
sufficient differences between the PIC 16F84 and the 16F84A to cause
problems during EEPROM write?

I suggest you go right to the horses's mouth: the 84-84A migration
guide is at http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/30072b.pdf

It looks to me as if there are some voltage, and timing differences
involving access to the EEPROM. Dunno whether that's the cause of
your lockups, though.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/80083b.pdf is the
16F84A errata document.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old November 17th 04, 06:40 AM
Tim Wescott

Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
Tim Wescott wrote:

Can someone with experience with the part tell me if there are
sufficient differences between the PIC 16F84 and the 16F84A to cause
problems during EEPROM write?

I suggest you go right to the horses's mouth: the 84-84A migration
guide is at http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/30072b.pdf

It looks to me as if there are some voltage, and timing differences
involving access to the EEPROM. Dunno whether that's the cause of
your lockups, though.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/80083b.pdf is the
16F84A errata document.

Hard to say -- it's not very definitive.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
Old November 17th 04, 10:26 AM
mike

Tim Wescott wrote:
Dave Platt wrote:

In article ,
Tim Wescott wrote:

Can someone with experience with the part tell me if there are
sufficient differences between the PIC 16F84 and the 16F84A to cause
problems during EEPROM write?

I suggest you go right to the horses's mouth: the 84-84A migration
guide is at http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/30072b.pdf

It looks to me as if there are some voltage, and timing differences
involving access to the EEPROM. Dunno whether that's the cause of
your lockups, though.

http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...Doc/80083b.pdf is the
16F84A errata document.

Hard to say -- it's not very definitive.

Been a long time since I looked, but as I recall, they inverted the
sense of one of the pins when they went to A???
mike

--
Return address is VALID.
500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 $2200

Old November 18th 04, 10:02 PM
Wouter van Ooijen

Been a long time since I looked, but as I recall, they inverted the
sense of one of the pins when they went to A???

No, they inverted the meaning of one of the bits in the configuration
word. IIRC the power-up delay timer.

Wouter van Ooijen

http://www.voti.nl
Webshop for PICs and other electronics