Old January 22nd 20, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default [WB4SON] Using a TYT MD-430 with a pi-star Gateway

WB4SON

Using a TYT MD-430 with a pi-star Gateway

https://wb4son.com/wpblog/?p=3991

*** Updated 19:15 UTC Jan 21 ***

My thanks to KB1YSK, Stan, who was the first station that I heard on NA
TalkGroup 93.Â* We had a nice contact, confirming that my first guess at a
CodePlug for the MD-430 was working.Â* Only downside I see is the DMR # is
shown on the radio screen, not the actual callsign, but I think thats
pretty much true on all DMR radios.Â* The RX audio was fine.Â* Now to add
some more TalkGroups to the CodePlug.

*** Original Post ***

I had noticed that several of the DMR radios have increased in price
recently.Â* I recall paying just a tad over $100 for my original Alinco
DJ-MD5TGP (GPS).Â* I think as DMR has caught on with hams, vendors have
taken the opportunity to increase prices.Â* That same radio sells for about
170 today.

Since my use case is for a ZumSpot Hotspot, I was looking for the least
expensive DMR radio that I could find.Â* A monoband 70cm version would be
fine.Â* Nothing fancy was required for a display either (nor GPS).Â* I
eventually stumbled over a TYT MD-430 that was selling for $65 on Amazon.Â*
The package included two batteries (one meant to charge on the supplied
base charger, and the other, higher capacity, charging from a microUSB
cable).Â* The user interface is simple (up/down arrows to select
zones/channels, and a couple of programmable function butttons.

The radio came with both a tiny CD as well as a thumb drive marked 430.Â*
That had the USB drivers and CPS Software (Code Plug Software).Â* I tend to
install my programming on a network isolated (no internet connection)
machine just in case there may be an issue.Â* Following the Read Me First
instructions, which instructed the user to plug the radio into the computer
FIRST (which results in a no driver found message), THEN install the
drivers, which immediately installed everything correctly.Â* I also
immediately downloaded the current code plug onto my laptop and saved it,
then started working on a new one applicable to me. (Use the Program/Read
Data or the icon with the yellow arrow pointing to the left.)

While I dont have the code plug worked out, at least my ZumSpot is hearing
the radio.Â* Now most of the setup is left on pi-star.Â* Just as a FYI, the
BER is nice and low, and despite the internal stubby 70cm antenna, the
signal level is just fine for local HotSpot work.

[WB4SON] DX Labs working with WSJT-X WB4SON via rec.radio.amateur.moderated Admin Homebrew 0 January 21st 20 06:20 PM
Gateway. DhiaDuit Shortwave 0 October 5th 16 03:57 AM
Facebook gateway now available ba.broadcast.moderated Admin Broadcasting 0 May 9th 11 03:39 AM
Gateway test NCARES Swap 0 July 20th 09 05:24 PM