Old August 19th 20, 08:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.moderated,rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default [KD8CEC] DVSwitch Builtin on DVPi (DVPi standalone setup) using DVPi Manager

KD8CEC Amateur Radio

DVSwitch Builtin on DVPi (DVPi standalone setup) using DVPi Manager

http://www.hamskey.com/2020/08/dvswi...dvpi-dvpi.html

DVSwitch Builtin on DVPi (DVPi standalone setup) using DVPi Manager
If you are using an existing DVSwitch server or DVLink server, you do not
need to read this post. Follow the DVSwitch group's instructions on how to
install DVSwitch on DVPi. I just make the setup of the installed DVSwitch a
little easier.
I will explain how to set up DVSwitch to DVPi in two ways. The first is to
use DVPi Manager and the second is to not use DVPi Manager.
This post will use DVPi Manager to setup DVSwitch. If you are having
trouble using DVPi Manager, please refer to the following post.
As of DVPi Version 0.7, a script to easily set up DVSwitch has been
included.

1.Required program
1.1 dvpimanager.exe
Included in the dvpi release distribution. In previous posts, there is a
way to download and unzip it.

1.2 ssh terminal program as putty.exe
If you are using Windows I recommend using putty.exe. You can download it
from the link below.
https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~...ty/latest.html

If you are using Linux, there is no need to install a separate program
You can connect to pi@dvpi ipaddress from a Linux terminal.

2. Install DVSwitch
2.1 Execute dvpimanager.exe and connect to DVPi
Double click the 'dvpimanager.exe'
or mono dvpimanager.exe on (linux or mac)

Enter the DVPi's IP address, then click the 'Connect' button(There are many
ways to find DVPi's IP. Some examples can be found in previous posts)

2.2 Instrall DVSwitch
If the connection is successful, the following screen appears.Click
the 'Easy setup of installed DVSwitch' Button

DVPi works based on DVSwitch. With the dedication of many DVSwitch
developers, DVPi can be used. Install using the installation method
provided by the DVSwitch group.
Below is the current installation method.

Before proceeding, launch an SSH terminal. You can use any SSH terminal. I
used putty.

When the following message appears, click the'Yes' button.

id : pi, Password : dvpi

You need to run 4 commands in the SSH terminal. I recommend copying and
pasting rather than typing directly.
Copy the first command.

Paste it into putty. (Press the right mouse button to paste automatically)
Press the 'enter Key' to execute the first command.

Copy the second command.
Paste it into the SSH terminal (as putty.exe) and press Enter.

Copy the third command.

Paste it into the SSH terminal (as putty.exe) and press Enter.

It is completed in about 1 minute.

Copy the fourth command.

Paste it into the SSH terminal (as putty.exe) and press Enter.
It is completed in about 1 minute.

DVSwitch installation is complete on your Raspberry Pi.Installation is very
simple. This is the dedication of the DVSwitch developers.If you get an
error while installing DVSwitch, try it elsewhere. I've found a few cases
where it doesn't work depending on your internet provider.
2.3 Setting up DVSwitchThere are only two that you must enter. However, it
is recommended to enter additional information.
Enter your Call sign and DMR ID. You can create a DMR ID at the site
below.(https://www.radioid.net/register#!)

Do not edit the Unique ID. However, if you use two or more Standalone DVPi,
please enter different values.Ex ) DVPi #1 : 57, DVPi #2 : 58, DVPi #3 :
59This is the value by which the DMR network identifies your device.

There is no need to modify this part either. However, if you change to the
BM server closest to you, you can use a much more stable DMR.Click
the 'Find BM in my Country' button

Select a server in your country or region close to you and click OK.

This is the information displayed to other users. If you enter your
latitude and longitude, and your city and country, you will be a good DMR
communication.

If you don't know the latitude and longitude of where you live, open Google
Maps and click the mouse. The latitude and longitude of the clicked place
will appear at the bottom.
When you have entered all the values, click the'Apply All Setting' button.

You will see a message similar to the one below.

When everything is done, the Raspberry pi reboots and all connections are
disconnected. Don't worry, it's not an error.

The SSH terminal will also display a message stating that the connection
has been lost. This is also not an error, so don't worry.

3. Standalone DVPi (Builtin DVSwitch)
When rebooting, REGOK will be displayed as below.

I changed the Talk group to 91. The communication tone was immediately
received.
If it is set for the first time, there are cases in which you have to press
PTT once to operate normally (your information is registered in the BM
server)

Congratulations. Now, with only one DVPi (DVSwitch Builtin) , DMR
communication is possible anywhere with the Internet.KD8CEC, Ian

DVPi hardware expansion (PTT, Encoder and etc)

http://www.hamskey.com/2020/08/dvpi-...coder-and.html

DVPi hardware expansion (PTT, Encoder and etc)
DVPi can be used without any additional hardware. A Raspberry Pi, 3.5" LCD
and USB sound card are enough for DMR communication. However, if you want
to use DVPi more conveniently, or if you like to make it, I think it is
good to configure the hardware as follows.
This hardware is the final version. No hardware will be added to the DVPi
anymore.
I would like to introduce the DVPi hardware expansion into several types.
You can create DVPi the way you want.

1. Use without any additional hardware
I also recommend this method. The simplest. You can create and use DVPi
with just RPI, LCD, USB sound card.
Start DVPi Manager.

Click the 'Settings to use rotary encoder, PTT, and VOX...' button

Then, The DVPi's hardware configuration screen appears.
You should not select anything as shown in the screen below. This is the
DVPi default setting screen.

2. PTT extension
To extend the external PTT to DVPi, you only need one 10K resistor and one
switch.

Set it as follows. The encoder must be selected even if it is not used.

3. PTT extension (Safty)
To extend the external PTT to DVPi, you only need three 10K resistor and
one switch.
This is to attach two pull-up resistors to an encoder that is not in use.
Set it as follows. The encoder must be selected even if it is not used.

4. Rotrary Encoder and PTT extensionYou can use DVPi more conveniently with
Rotary Encoder with switch , a switch and 4 10k resistors.
Below is the rotary encoder I use. It is a rotary encoder generally used by
Arduino.

I did the following, but if you want to do it easily, you can apply a
resistor directly to the rotary encoder.

Set it as follows.

5. Rotrary Encoder , PTT and Function Key extensionYou can add a function
key to use the submenu added in Version 0.7 or the Quick Menu function for
the visually impaired.Just like adding a PTT switch, just add one more
switch.

Set it as follows.

6. LED extension for Receive Signal indicationI just added the LED function
to the above circuit. If you don't need rotary encoder, PTT, function key
function, you can use it by connecting only one LED and one resistor.The
LED will light up when voice is received.

Set it as follows. The encoder must be selected even if it is not used.If
you are not using PTT, Rotrary Encoder, Function Key, don't check all
checkboxes, just check'Use RX Signal Out'.
The default value of RXOUT Delay is 15, but 3 is recommended when using
LEDs. It will look a little active.

7. PC817 extension for Receive Signal indicationEverything is the same as
in item 4 above. I just replaced the LED with PC187.This is for external
radio control. I experimented about this 3 times and it was quite
satisfactory. I will be posting a separate article on this.Yes. As you
might guess, it is relaying digital and analog using an inexpensive analog
radio. Use this only for your personal laboratory use.

Set it as follows. If you connect analog radio to DVPi, it is recommended
to set RXOUT Delay value to 5~10.

8. Hardware GPIO numberGPIO numbers are used for all of the above settings.
EX: ENC A = 25, ENC B= 24...I configured the circuit as above, but if you
want to use the GPIO for other purposes, you can connect it anywhere.
You can also connect the PTT switch to GPIO 21. In that case, you just
need to set the PTT GPIO to 21.
Please refer to the GPIO number below. The GPIO number is based on WiringPi.

9. FM Transmitter Extenction (Just use it for experimental purpose)Not
available on Raspberry Pi 4. only Raspberry PI 1,2,3

FM Transmitting programs existed on the Raspberry Pi from the past. I
changed the RpiNBFM source code to receive UDP data and send it through RF
and included it in DVPi as a separate program. (named 'udptonfm') This
source code will be posted on git.
This program uses Raspberry pi's DMA, but the program stops functioning
frequently due to a conflict with another process. RF transmission stops
about once every almost 5 minutes. However, since DVPi periodically
restarts the process, the RF signal will be transmitted again after a while.
You should use this feature only for fun and experimental purposes.
You don't need any additional hardware to use this feature. Just change the
settings as follows.

Click the Advanced Setting
Checked 'Using FM Transmitter using GPIO 4'and Set you want Frequency
(Khz)You just need to set the frequency below 250Mhz.2M, 10M, 11M are all
possible.

Sending the radio a little further, If a 1m wire is connected to GPIO 4,
radio waves are transmitted over a long distance.you can alos adding the
SMA connector as below.Again, use FM transmission only for fun and
experimental purposes. Periodically, the RF signal will be interrupted, and
the DVPi may be down due to a heavy load on the CPU. Also, use it legally
in your country's laws.

10.My final DVPi circuit.Below is my final DVPi circuit. Again, you don't
have to add any hardware to the DVPi. I recommend it too.
It is recommended to keep the CPU temperature of the DVPi below 50 degrees.
Just attach a small fan to the DVPi case.

Thank you for reading Ian KD8CEC