Old March 2nd 05, 04:08 PM
Reg Edwards

A solid slab of crystal naturally oscillates at frequencies at which one of
its three dimensions, length, breadth and thickness, is a mechanical
1/2-wavelength. It can easily be induced to oscillate at harmonics of the
fundamental.

It can also oscillate in one of several mechanical modes, eg., longitudinal,
breadth-wise or in torsion. And in shunt or series-resonant electrical
modes.

The circuit it is embedded in can encourage a preferred frequency. It is
easy to select harmonics. Self-preference is also given to the frequency
which has the highest Q, ie., the least mechanical loss. This is usually the
fundamental.

It does not oscillate EXACTLY at multiples simply because it has three
dimensions and Length, Breadth and Thickness slightly 'interfere' with each
other.

A poorly cut crystal, eg., lack of parallelism, at which there may be no
strong preference may jump erratically between two non-harmonically related
frequencies.

Frequency versus temperature curves depend on oscillation mode and on the
angle at which the slab is cut relative to the direction of the individual
crystals in the bulk material lattice as found by optical means. Cubic
curves are best because they contain a flat horizontal portion.

Old March 7th 05, 08:13 AM
J M Noeding

Hi

have been examining some surplus mobile telephone base station
equipment and discovered that the 70MHz to 455kHz mixers consists of
2x SA602. Since I've never seen an application using two such items,
my guess it for an image rejection type mixer.
Could somebody please guide me into some notes describing such mixer,
possibly using 2x SA602 (and a crystal osc)

Jan-Martin

---
J. M. Noeding, LA8AK, N-4623 Kristiansand
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/c.htm
Old March 7th 05, 11:13 AM
Highland Ham

have been examining some surplus mobile telephone base station
equipment and discovered that the 70MHz to 455kHz mixers consists of
2x SA602. Since I've never seen an application using two such items,
my guess it for an image rejection type mixer.
Could somebody please guide me into some notes describing such mixer,
possibly using 2x SA602 (and a crystal osc)

=======================================
Jan-Martin , With 2xSA602 ,are you sure there isn't a 10.7 MHz
'intermediate' IF as well ?

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old March 7th 05, 12:32 PM
Andrew Holme

J M Noeding wrote:
have been examining some surplus mobile telephone base station
equipment and discovered that the 70MHz to 455kHz mixers consists of
2x SA602. Since I've never seen an application using two such items,
my guess it for an image rejection type mixer.

An image rejecting mixer requires quadrature inputs (both signal and
LO), two mixers, and summation of the outputs i.e.

sin(A+B) = sin(A)cos(B) + cos(A)sin(B)

Also - you're unlikely to have image problems at the second mixer.

Old March 7th 05, 10:02 PM
J M Noeding

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 11:13:33 GMT, "Highland Ham"
wrote:

have been examining some surplus mobile telephone base station
equipment and discovered that the 70MHz to 455kHz mixers consists of
2x SA602. Since I've never seen an application using two such items,
my guess it for an image rejection type mixer.
Could somebody please guide me into some notes describing such mixer,
possibly using 2x SA602 (and a crystal osc)

=======================================
Jan-Martin , With 2xSA602 ,are you sure there isn't a 10.7 MHz
'intermediate' IF as well ?

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Nope, it is shown as
http://www.noding.com/la8ak/12345/images/bd34-rx.jpg
This for NMT450, while earlier NOKIA NMT900 mobile phone BS used
21.4Mz IF as well as 455kHz, while modern 900mc GSM handsets now are
direct conversion. In the actual rig there is a 70MHz xtal filter as
well as 455kHz ceramic filters
The complete page (in Norwegian) is at
http://home.online.no/~la8ak/d28.htm

73, Jan-Martin LA8AK (ex GW5BFV)

---

Old March 8th 05, 05:19 PM
Bob Liesenfeld

J M Noeding wrote:

Hi

have been examining some surplus mobile telephone base station
equipment and discovered that the 70MHz to 455kHz mixers consists of
2x SA602. Since I've never seen an application using two such items,
my guess it for an image rejection type mixer.

Could it be for dual diversity receive?

Old March 8th 05, 08:38 PM
J M Noeding

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:19:00 -0600, Bob Liesenfeld
wrote:

J M Noeding wrote:

Hi

have been examining some surplus mobile telephone base station
equipment and discovered that the 70MHz to 455kHz mixers consists of
2x SA602. Since I've never seen an application using two such items,
my guess it for an image rejection type mixer.

Could it be for dual diversity receive?

there are 4 receivers, two on each board (with 2x SA604 and 4x SA602),
so I think it is a lot of diversity if it was interesting

---

Make your own T2FD Kees Shortwave 75 July 2nd 04 07:54 AM
We Need a BANDWIDTH-BASED Frequency Plan - NOT Mode-Based. Expeditionradio Policy 43 February 8th 04 08:47 PM
BETTER HF FREQUENCY PLAN for AMATEUR RADIO Expeditionradio Policy 3 January 27th 04 10:50 PM
Drake TR-3 transceiver synthesizer upgrade Gene Gardner Homebrew 0 January 13th 04 05:28 PM
CCIR Coefficients METHOD 6 REC533 // AUCKLAND --> SEATTLE http://CBC.am/ Shortwave 0 July 16th 03 08:21 AM