Old March 3rd 05, 09:12 PM
G. Doughty

Default Headphone hum on transmit cw

I have an issue on 40 meters from my tentec scout 555. After the rig is
tuned (mfj 901b) and I tx cw, I get an AC hum in my headphones on every key
down. This doesn't happen when my audio comes from the rig. I am using an
alpha delta loaded antenna in the attic and it is almost certainly putting
the tuner to a test. Is there something I can do to alleviate this problem?

Thanks
greg
ki4bbl

Old March 3rd 05, 11:38 PM
Highland Ham

I have an issue on 40 meters from my tentec scout 555. After the rig is
tuned (mfj 901b) and I tx cw, I get an AC hum in my headphones on every

key
down. This doesn't happen when my audio comes from the rig. I am using

an
alpha delta loaded antenna in the attic and it is almost certainly putting
the tuner to a test. Is there something I can do to alleviate this

problem?
=============================
I have the same problem with phone on some higher freq HF bands and solve
the problem by reducing RF output.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Old March 3rd 05, 11:54 PM
Mike Andrews

G. Doughty wrote:
I have an issue on 40 meters from my tentec scout 555. After the rig
is tuned (mfj 901b) and I tx cw, I get an AC hum in my headphones
on every key down. This doesn't happen when my audio comes from the
rig. I am using an alpha delta loaded antenna in the attic and it is
almost certainly putting the tuner to a test. Is there something I
can do to alleviate this problem?

So where are your headphones plugged when you hear the hum?

When I'm sending CW on my Icom 751 at full power with the tuner loaded
for very low SWR, I hear a pretty good AC ripple over the sidetone. I
think it's because I'm dragging a lot of power out of the supply, and
it doesn't regulate as well at those power levels as it does at lower
levels.

It's not a high enough level to make me think it's a problem; I don't
know about your hum, but wonder what a scope would show.

--
Mike Andrews W5EGO 5WPM
Extra
Old March 4th 05, 07:09 AM
Paul Keinanen

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 16:12:03 -0500, "G. Doughty"
wrote:

I have an issue on 40 meters from my tentec scout 555. After the rig is
tuned (mfj 901b) and I tx cw, I get an AC hum in my headphones on every key
down. This doesn't happen when my audio comes from the rig. I am using an
alpha delta loaded antenna in the attic and it is almost certainly putting
the tuner to a test. Is there something I can do to alleviate this problem?

Since you are using an attic antenna, I guess that you must have quite
a large RF field strength inside the house. When there is a headphone
cable connected to the transceiver, quite large RF voltages can be
induced into the wire, feeding it into the headphone jack and possibly
causing some havoc inside the rig.

During a QSO, did you ask about any hum in your transmission when the
headphone was used or when the speaker was used respectively ?

What exactly happens is hard to predict on this description, but here
are some possibilities.

If your rig and antenna are badly grounded, the RF current induced to
the headphone wire will flow through the rig signal ground to the
power supply rectifiers and through the mains transformer stray
capacitances to the mains neutral and then to the ground. Since the
rectifiers are not conducting constantly, but will cut off 100 or 120
times each second, causing some hum. This has been a problem with some
mains operated receivers, requiring some capacitors across the
rectifier diodes or a proper grounding. However, I have never heard
about this with transmitters.

Depending on the wiring code used in your area and if separate
grounding electrodes are used for your antenna and electric system,
some neutral current may flow through your rig to the antenna ground
electrode and from there to the mains ground electrode. This might
cause some strange effects in some special situations especially with
resonant wire sections in the house wiring.

The first thing to try is to wind the headphone cable around a ferrite
rod very close to the headphone plug and check if this helped. Also
putting some ferrites on the power supply mains and/or DC may help,
since apparently there is a quite high RF field strength around, due
to the attic antenna, which can cause all sorts of problems that might
be hard to diagnose.

Paul OH3LWR

Old March 4th 05, 05:44 PM
Larry Gagnon

On Thu, 03 Mar 2005 16:12:03 -0500, G. Doughty wrote:

I have an issue on 40 meters from my tentec scout 555. After the rig is
tuned (mfj 901b) and I tx cw, I get an AC hum in my headphones on every key
down. This doesn't happen when my audio comes from the rig. I am using an
alpha delta loaded antenna in the attic and it is almost certainly putting
the tuner to a test. Is there something I can do to alleviate this problem?

Thanks
greg
ki4bbl

Ferrite isolator clipped around your headphone lead at input to rig should
do the job.

Larry VE7EA

--
********************************
to reply via email remove "fake"

Old March 4th 05, 09:02 PM
mike coe

G. Doughty wrote:
I have an issue on 40 meters from my tentec scout 555. After the rig is
tuned (mfj 901b) and I tx cw, I get an AC hum in my headphones on every key
down. This doesn't happen when my audio comes from the rig. I am using an
alpha delta loaded antenna in the attic and it is almost certainly putting
the tuner to a test. Is there something I can do to alleviate this problem?

Thanks
greg
ki4bbl

More than likely RF feild strengh in the house
you cant beat a good ground and outdoor antenna
Old March 5th 05, 02:16 AM
G. Doughty

Well, I went out and got the RS ferrite core and wrapped one around the
headphone line. Still some problems. Then wrapped around the dc pwr line
in the back. less interference. I guess I was having problems at both
ends. thanks for all the suggestions.
73
Greg
ki4bbl

a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
FT100 VS FT 857 fan noise in transmit?? Steven L Umbach Equipment 0 November 24th 03 09:35 PM
galaxy 33hml transmit trouble [email protected] CB 20 October 31st 03 02:34 PM
LIMP ONES NEED NOT TRANSMIT ON MY FREQUENCY. I OWN **3894*5**. ONLY INVITED THE*CARING*STATION* Policy 0 October 1st 03 04:12 AM
LIMP ONES NEED NOT TRANSMIT ON MY FREQUENCY. I OWN **3894*5**. ONLY INVITED THE*CARING*STATION* General 0 October 1st 03 04:12 AM