Old March 17th 05, 01:35 PM
Bob G0KYF

Default using icom internal power supply as an external ps?

Hi,
I have been given an ic745 internal power supply.
I was wondering if i can use it as a stand alone external one.
it has the standard 6 way power connector with 2x positive and 2x negative
outputs.
but it also has 2 other wires to the plug. (i presume these are a switch on
sensor?)
If i apply mains to the unit there is no output so I will need some way of
imitating the power on switch on the rig it is from.
Any help gratefully accepted. Bob.

Old March 17th 05, 08:55 PM
Steve

Bob,

If you hunt about the Internet, you may even be able to find a pdf service
manual for this rig.

I agree you can probably use it for a general power supply. There's a caveat
of two, however. 50% duty cycle, so says the service manual. Also, there
may be an issue of minimum loading for any switching power supply; you may
want to add say a resistor or 12 V light bulb for say a 1 Amp load, though
there's nothing in the manual that mentions min load. A quick look of
the rig specs didn't reveal a current draw of the IC745 on receive.

Bob G0KYF wrote:

Hi,
I have been given an ic745 internal power supply.
I was wondering if i can use it as a stand alone external one.

According to the hard copy service manual I have for my IC745,

Input Voltage: 110/220 AC 50/60 Hz +/- 10%
Input Capacity: 550VA @ 20A
Max Load 20A: 10 mins ON/10 mins off

Fuse 10 A, 110 and 5 A for 220.

it has the standard 6 way power connector with 2x positive and 2x negative
outputs.
but it also has 2 other wires to the plug. (i presume these are a switch on
sensor?)

Yes, the schematic shows this going to a simple switch. Short pins 3 & 6 to
turn on.

Pin out
1 4 13.8 Volts
2 5 GND
3 6 "AC 1 & AC 2"

If i apply mains to the unit there is no output so I will need some way of
imitating the power on switch on the rig it is from.
Any help gratefully accepted. Bob.

The manual also mentions automatic 25 A current limit, turn off to reset.

Good Luck, Steve
Old March 18th 05, 05:53 AM
Doug Smith W9WI

Steve wrote:
I agree you can probably use it for a general power supply.

I have done this. (OK, I think the supply came out of a IC-271H) If I
recall properly the load was a TS-130 and it worked fine.

Unfortunately that was 20 years ago and I don't remember the wiring.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66