Old December 28th 03, 10:32 PM
Neil Bell

Default Icom R-75 question

I know this radio has a great reputation for SW reception, My
question is how does it do on BCB MW reception??

Is an external speaker really needed?

Neil Bell

Neil Bell

For e-mail replies remove the "notreally."

|----------------------------------------------------------|

|----------------------------------------------------------|
Old December 28th 03, 11:03 PM
Diverd4777

In article , Neil Bell
writes:

I know this radio has a great reputation for SW reception, My
question is how does it do on BCB MW reception??

BCB

Hmmm.....
- OK

An external antenna helps;
but this is NOT IMHO a bcb heavy receiver;
It's designed NOT to really pick up BCB too well ( This eliminates overload)
you'd have to have Mods done to make it a BCB heavy set..

- However, I can usually pick up BCB stations ~1000 miles away..

Is an external speaker really needed?

IMHO, yes...
Either headphones, or Computer-type speakers;
( I mean, No sense in Icom making a Huge cabinet with a Huge speaker
if you can
have a " here's the signal" internal speaker
& a port for a good set of external speakers;

~ Dan ~

Neil Bell

Old December 29th 03, 12:20 AM
Tony Meloche

Neil Bell wrote:

I know this radio has a great reputation for SW reception, My
question is how does it do on BCB MW reception??

It's very good - but I honestly feel it's no better than the
SuperRadio III in that regard (although that is very good, indeed).
Note I use it with a longwire - with a tunable loop, it might be even
better yet.

Is an external speaker really needed?

The built-in speaker is OK for momentary monitoring. But if you
aren't a dedicated headphone user, yes - I would get an external
speaker. The little RCA 40-5000 that Radio Shack sells for around $20
is fine for the purpose.

Tony

Old December 29th 03, 05:33 AM
D. Kim

Neil Bell wrote in message . ..
Is an external speaker really needed?

The reviews I read before purchase did not sing any praises for the
IC-R75s speaker so I had mine shipped directly to Kiwa for the
following mods:

--synchronous detector upgrade
--audio upgrade
--high fidelity audio filter
--R75 filter module

The sound is just fine, though for obvious reasons I can't compare it
now to what is would have sounded like.

__________________
IC-R75 / CW 40LP
Yokosuka, Japan
Old December 29th 03, 09:04 AM
Pete KE9OA

I've removed the MW attenuator from my R75, and now the unit has flat
response across the whole tuning range. It is not the easiest mod, but it is
worth the effort.

Pete

D. Kim wrote in message
m...

. ..

Old December 29th 03, 10:16 AM
RHF

NB,

Check-Out the Icom IC-R75 eGroup on YAHOO !
Over 6300 Messages and almost 900 Members.

There is a whole series of Messages on
the AM/MW/BCB Attenuator Modifications.

ihtthbh ~ RHF
..
..
= = = Neil Bell

Old December 29th 03, 03:37 PM
Kenneth

I know this radio has a great reputation for SW reception, My
question is how does it do on BCB MW reception??

It's very good - but I honestly feel it's no better than the
SuperRadio III in that regard (although that is very good, indeed).
Note I use it with a longwire - with a tunable loop, it might be even
better yet.

Good joke, but in serious here what one of the top reviewer have to
say about the R-75:Excellent ultimate selectivity and good dinamic
range for faint signals,Dsp with aut notch filter helps improve
intelligibility of some tough signals and reduce heterodyne.Two levels
pre-amp allows excellent sensitivity to weak signals.After the removal
of the MW attenuator [Pete's mod]my R-75 have .07 uv sensitivity
figure in the MW band.In your complaining you don't mention the
antenna you are using and this is one of the most neglected points in
Mw dxing.With a first rate antenna you can overcome most of your MW
receptions problems.You can try a Kiwa loop, Justice ant or quantum
loop [internal] or a external loop like the K9AY.

Old December 29th 03, 07:40 PM
Bill Hennessy

Icom has quality control problems. Thay work great, when thay work.

Bill, N5NOB

Old December 29th 03, 09:55 PM
Tony Meloche

Kenneth wrote:

I know this radio has a great reputation for SW reception, My
question is how does it do on BCB MW reception??

It's very good - but I honestly feel it's no better than the
SuperRadio III in that regard (although that is very good, indeed).
Note I use it with a longwire - with a tunable loop, it might be even
better yet.

Good joke, but in serious here what one of the top reviewer have to
say about the R-75:Excellent ultimate selectivity and good dinamic
range for faint signals,Dsp with aut notch filter helps improve
intelligibility of some tough signals and reduce heterodyne.Two levels
pre-amp allows excellent sensitivity to weak signals.After the removal
of the MW attenuator [Pete's mod]my R-75 have .07 uv sensitivity
figure in the MW band.In your complaining

I didn't complain - I am very happy with the I-75's MW capabilities.

you don't mention the
antenna you are using

Yes, I did - I said I was using a 110'longwire.

and this is one of the most neglected points in
Mw dxing.With a first rate antenna you can overcome most of your MW
receptions problems.You can try a Kiwa loop, Justice ant or quantum
loop [internal] or a external loop like the K9AY.

I deduced myself that it would probably give even better performance
with a loop - didn't you read my response?

Tony

Old December 29th 03, 10:31 PM
RHF

BH,

Never really heard that the Icon IC-R75
has had Quality Control Problems?

Amplify on what hese "QC" Prooblems Are - Please !

iwtk ~ RHF
..
..
= = = "Bill Hennessy"