Old June 1st 05, 11:16 PM

Default How make UNconnected PC power supply operate?

For testing purposes, I'd like to make an PC power supply operate when
NOT installed in a PC. I've heard that the AT supply needs at least
SOME load on its 5-volt output before it will operate; is an ampere
or two sufficient?

For ATX supplies, I visited a friendly computer-repair store today and
examined the "cheater" into which they plugged UNconnected ATX supplies;
it had three pairs of connections:
1) A jumper from Ground to PS-ON
2) an LED and resistor from PowerOK to Ground
3) two wires from +5V and ground going into something about the size
of a small box of matches which was shrink-wrapped to the cable

They wouldn't let me disassemble it !-)
Was there probably a 5-ohm resistor in that box?
--
--Myron A. Calhoun.
Five boxes preserve our freedoms: soap, ballot, witness, jury, and cartridge
Old June 1st 05, 11:41 PM
Ralph Mowery

wrote in message ...
For testing purposes, I'd like to make an PC power supply operate when
NOT installed in a PC. I've heard that the AT supply needs at least
SOME load on its 5-volt output before it will operate; is an ampere
or two sufficient?

For ATX supplies, I visited a friendly computer-repair store today and
examined the "cheater" into which they plugged UNconnected ATX supplies;
it had three pairs of connections:
1) A jumper from Ground to PS-ON
2) an LED and resistor from PowerOK to Ground
3) two wires from +5V and ground going into something about the size
of a small box of matches which was shrink-wrapped to the cable

They wouldn't let me disassemble it !-)
Was there probably a 5-ohm resistor in that box?

Most all computer switching supplies need some load on it to start. About
1/2 to 1 amp should be fine. YOu can use a 5 ohm resistor rated at 10 watts
or so to put a load on the 5 volt line. When testing an AT supply I usually
just hook up to an old hard drive.
If you have some kind of load already hooked to the supply they you can
forget the resistor load.

Old June 1st 05, 11:43 PM
John Smith

Using PC power supply for powering other circuits than PC
PC power supplies are specifically designed for PC electronics.
Typically they work well in the current range a typical PC takes. If you
take too low current form the ouputs, the power supply myght not work
properly. If you load only one output, you might run into troubles of
poor regulation. Typically PC power supplies regulate the output voltage
of all outputs according the voltage in 5V output pin. If you don't put
enough load to +5V output, you don't get stable +12V output from the
power suppply.

I found the above, on the web, hope it helps...

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 2nd 05, 02:54 PM
joe

Yes, that is a good link, August has lot of good info.

Be sure to discharge any capacitors inside the cage
on any switching supply, the voltages inside the cage
are LETHAL !!!

a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
FS: National SPC-697 Power Supply Speaker Combo - 1936 Dave Hollander Boatanchors 0 August 22nd 04 02:53 AM
FS: Astron RS-70M (70 Amp) Power Supply Michael Melland Swap 1 November 17th 03 02:52 AM
Derivation of the Reflection Coefficient? Dr. Slick Antenna 104 September 6th 03 02:27 AM