Old June 5th 05, 05:07 AM
998 cc

Default 2C39's for 144 MHZ?

Hello, Has anyone tried using 2C39's for 144 Mhz? I happen to have a few
of them and was considering using them for a junkbox amplifier for 2 meter
SSB. I have found several 1296 Mhz amps that use them, but so far, nothing
for 2 meters.

Thanks.
Russ

Old June 5th 05, 02:37 PM
Wes Stewart

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 04:07:47 GMT, "998 cc"
wrote:

Hello, Has anyone tried using 2C39's for 144 Mhz? I happen to have a few
of them and was considering using them for a junkbox amplifier for 2 meter
SSB. I have found several 1296 Mhz amps that use them, but so far, nothing
for 2 meters.

Certainly they will work but I suggest the effort will be more trouble
than it's worth.

Old June 5th 05, 05:39 PM
John Smith

Yes, I should suspect that a lower freq for a high freq tube is no
problem... I think why you don't see them ever used at 144 Mhz is that
there used to be VERY expensive--you would only pay the money if
necessary and there were much cheaper alternatives for 144...

Warmest regards,
John

Old June 6th 05, 01:13 AM

From: "John Smith" on Sun,Jun 5 2005 12:39
pm

Yes, I should suspect that a lower freq for a high freq tube is no
problem... I think why you don't see them ever used at 144 Mhz is that
there used to be VERY expensive--you would only pay the money if
necessary and there were much cheaper alternatives for 144...

The 2C39 was never intended for lower-frequency "CW" or other
narrow-band modes. General Electric used them in 1800 MHz
pulsed microwave radio relay terminals having peak pulse
envelope output of 12 Watts...with forced-air cooling on
the integral anode fins. There were six 2C39s in every
GE 1.8 GHz terminal designed about 1950 (!).

The transconductance is very high (14,000 umho?) and the
grid-cathode, grid-plate spacing very small. The only sure
way to hold such tolerances in varying heat environments is
to use non-standard glass or ceramic tubing sections in the
inverted lighthouse structure. Those who want to use it have
to have an equally-expensive socket arrangement or be a
fairly competent machinist have good tools at their disposal.

The GE microwave terminal used integral socket and tuned
cavity assemblies at 1.8 GHz. The GE transmitter was a
chain of 7-pin and 9-pin tube oscillator-multipliers to
about 255 MHz, then into a 2C39 septupler, that into the
2C39 final amplifier (pulsed anode). Receiver LO had a
similar arrangement but only one 2C39 in the chain. "Hot
spare" duplicate assemblies for the RF doubled the 2C39
totals. They worked and worked and worked in 24/7 operation,
nine terminals where I was the operation and maintenance
supervising NCO in the Army. There were hundreds of them
used in many kinds of multi-channel radio relay, including
long pipeline telemetry and control in the USA.

The only thing "bad" about them was due to another tube
manuafacturer's dimensional conflict with GE cavity design.

Why that particular tube? Because it "looks sexy" with
the anode fins so nicely machined? There's lots more
half-century-old vacuum tube designs available somewhere.
Western Electric 416s and 417s are out there in larger
quantities. Geez, 829 duals have been used at 144 MHz
with more output than one can safely run a 2C39 at that
frequency. Socket assemblies for an 829 are easier to
get than for an inverted lighthouse structure.

A year or so ago I happened across a couple of non-USA
sites giving nice details of 2C39s used in ham VHF
transmitters. Nice photos and dimensions available.
Both of them used the triode "pushed" beyond its safe
limits of power. Think about replacement costs.

At 2 meters, a better way using vacuum tubes (besides
going to Eimac goodies) is in a "distributed amplifier,"
the grids of many 9-pin tubes connected to an L-C
delay-line-like structure, the plates connected to another
L-C network. The Tektronix 540 series scopes had those
for the vertical amplifiers, good beyond 50 MHz, back in
the 1960s. No tuning required...except in how to couple
the medium-Z output to a low-Z antenna.

Or...one can get transistors that have worked in their
ratings at 150 MHz VHF "business band" with all the nitty
and gritty details in old Motorola Application Notes.
CW operation at 2 meters no sweat at up to 150 Watts,
more than a 2C39 pair can do safely. Lots of alternate
choices...such as solid-state Cellular Telephone cell
site ("base station") transmitters and equivalents that
don't have internal networks to optimize operation in the
1 GHz band. [but, you knew that already, right? :-) ]

Old June 6th 05, 01:40 AM
John Smith

yes, you will forgive me if I skip reading all of that, I doubt you
offered anything relevant to the mans original question anyway...

John
oups.com...

Old June 6th 05, 05:31 PM
Dale Parfitt

"John Smith" wrote in message
yes, you will forgive me if I skip reading all of that, I doubt you
offered anything relevant to the mans original question anyway...

Yeah, don't confuse us with theory and engineering- especially stay away

from any math.

But to Len,
Thanks for the informative post. I have used 2C39's on 23cM in 2 and 4 tube
water cooled designs for EME, but appreciate your insight into the
construction and caveats.

Dale W4OP

Old June 6th 05, 06:27 PM
John Smith

the guy asking about using 'em on 144 Mhz will be thrilled by the
reports of another Ghz user...

John

Old June 7th 05, 10:22 PM
Wes Stewart

On 5 Jun 2005 17:13:48 -0700, wrote:

[snip]
Western Electric 416s and 417s are out there in larger
quantities.

Hmm. I used several of these in two-meter receive pre-amps, but never
considered them for the finals. I did have a little blower on the
416B tho.

I know that W-E used them in transmitters but I never saw any ham
designs doing it.

Geez, 829 duals have been used at 144 MHz
with more output than one can safely run a 2C39 at that
frequency. Socket assemblies for an 829 are easier to
get than for an inverted lighthouse structure.

Had one of those on two-meter CW/AM. Used the modulated high voltage
out of my Heath DX-100 to run it.

A year or so ago I happened across a couple of non-USA
sites giving nice details of 2C39s used in ham VHF
transmitters. Nice photos and dimensions available.
Both of them used the triode "pushed" beyond its safe
limits of power. Think about replacement costs.

The 2C39 is often converted to water cooling, and really pushed.

http://www.w6pql.com/200w_23cm_amplifier.htm

At 2 meters, a better way using vacuum tubes (besides
going to Eimac goodies) is in a "distributed amplifier,"
the grids of many 9-pin tubes connected to an L-C
delay-line-like structure, the plates connected to another
L-C network. The Tektronix 540 series scopes had those
for the vertical amplifiers, good beyond 50 MHz, back in
the 1960s. No tuning required...except in how to couple
the medium-Z output to a low-Z antenna.

I wouldn't call this a better way unless you live in a cold climate
and need the extra heat in the shack.
Old June 7th 05, 10:44 PM

wrote:

Hello, Has anyone tried using 2C39's for 144 Mhz? I happen to have a few
of them and was considering using them for a junkbox amplifier for 2 meter
SSB. I have found several 1296 Mhz amps that use them, but so far, nothing
for 2 meters.

Certainly they will work but I suggest the effort will be more trouble
than it's worth.

I've used them aircooled at 432 but thy are only good for maybe 15W
that way. A pair running grounded grid at 144 would work but for the
it's a lot of work unless you go to the trouble of water cooling. I'd
use 4CX250 before I'd bother with that.

FYI the motorola H44s (a old tube UHF FM business radio used 2C39s for
the driver and final).

Allison
Old June 8th 05, 05:05 AM
998 cc

Hello Len and All. Thanks for the replies. I found all of the "positive"
enquiry is that I have some of these tubes and related surplus equipment and
was looking for a way to use the parts from it. In fact, I believe the
equipment I have is one of the pulsed relay stations mentioned below. I
have one complete Lo-band unit except for the horn antenna.

It sounds like the end would not justify the means in considering these
tubes as viable 2-meter amps. I do have a few 829/3E29's and sockets in the
parts box, so that is a possibility as well. Anyway, I like tube equipment
which is why I am not going the solid state route.

Thanks again.

73,
Russ
W6OHM