Old August 27th 05, 09:52 AM
Wim Ton

Default HP141T Repair

I got a HP141T with 8554B and 8552B plugins.

After replacing some transistors and fuses in the powersupply, I decided on
a careful power up with a Variac

There is some light on the CRT and a horizontal sweep at the top of the
screen (I suppose the picture is out of alignment because of the incorrect
voltages)

It turns out that the ribbon cable to the CRT anode and storage electrodes
is split open and arching between 2 wires, even without the full mains power
applied.

Any suggestings on:

Where to get a new cable?
How to repair them?
How to remove the CRT, as this is not mentioned in the service manual I
downloaded from BAMA.

Thanks in advance, Wim

Old August 27th 05, 10:47 AM
Andrew VK3BFA

Wim Ton wrote:
I got a HP141T with 8554B and 8552B plugins.

After replacing some transistors and fuses in the powersupply, I decided on
a careful power up with a Variac

There is some light on the CRT and a horizontal sweep at the top of the
screen (I suppose the picture is out of alignment because of the incorrect
voltages)

It turns out that the ribbon cable to the CRT anode and storage electrodes
is split open and arching between 2 wires, even without the full mains power
applied.

Any suggestings on:

Where to get a new cable?
How to repair them?
How to remove the CRT, as this is not mentioned in the service manual I
downloaded from BAMA.

Thanks in advance, Wim

I think your chances of a new cable would be zero - and if you did, it
would be as old as the original one in there. I suggest you cut out the
old cable, and replace with a salvaged length from a scrap monitor/tv
set etc. Carefully heat shrink your connections, and cable tie the
sections clear of grounds. There is only a few KV there (its a
relatively small tube) so flashover shouldnt be a problem. The out of
vertical alignment trace could be another issue - but hey, lets deal
with the smoke and flames first hi hi

73 de VK3BFA Andrew

Old August 27th 05, 07:52 PM
Roy Lewallen

Wim Ton wrote:
Any suggestings on:

Where to get a new cable?

http://www.glkinst.com/cables/hp_cables.htm

That was the first hit on a Google search of

HP 141T cables

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old August 27th 05, 10:26 PM
Wim Ton

"Roy Lewallen" wrote in message
Wim Ton wrote:
Any suggestings on:

Where to get a new cable?

http://www.glkinst.com/cables/hp_cables.htm

That was the first hit on a Google search of

HP 141T cables

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Thanks for the link! May come in handy when I have repaired the thing and
found an affordabe tracking generator.

Wim