Old March 21st 04, 11:50 AM
Smokey

Default CHEAP SONY 2010 REPAIR

If you are experiencing diminished or dead sensitivity on your once hot
SONY ICF-2010 radio you probably have popped the first RF stage. Static
discharges as well as overload from strong signals cause this. This is the
most vulnerable weakness in the '2010 and older models of the 2010 were
especially susceptible.. We will replace the defective components and return
your 2010 within 7 days for $25 plus shipping (actual shipping...NOT some
inflated amount like too many places are charging these days.) If the
problem is a more serious one we will return the radio to you for shipping
cost only unrepaired. This is not a "bait and switch" scheme where our $25
is a come-on that leads to higher hourly shop rates. It's honest. We will
repair it at the hourly rate but this special pertains only to the repair
described here and quite frankly you can do better sending your radio
elsewhere. However we have recently obtained a supply of rf stage components
that enable us to offer this inexpensive fix.

Sparks Radio Shop
8679 Pinkhurst Drive
Minocqua, WI 54548

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old March 21st 04, 02:44 PM
Stinger

V.T. -- use your head for something besides a hat-holder. If the guy didn't
know how to diagnose this common 2010 problem, he damn sure doesn't know how
to replace an FET (much less add diodes). He asked for info for cheap
repair (and got it).

-- Stinger

"Volker Tonn" wrote in message

Smokey wrote:

If you are experiencing diminished or dead sensitivity ...
...for $25 plus shipping ...
However we have recently obtained a supply of rf stage components
that enable us to offer this inexpensive fix.

Sparks Radio Shop
8679 Pinkhurst Drive
Minocqua, WI 54548

Ouch. Your commercial post to newsgroups is NOT WELCOME.
You will be reported for newsgroup abuse to your ISP.

This "repair" is done within 10 minutes by replacing a FET of less than
1.50US$.

Replacing the FET is a really easy job. At least it is highly
recommended to add 2 pairs of diodes to prevent further death of the FET
on static crashes. The needed diodes are less than 0.10US$ each and it
takes less than 2 minutes when the case is open.

So 25 US$ for a 15 minute unqualified job including less than US$ 2 on
material is not a good price.

I have 2-3 of the FETs as spare parts for mine. I bought a few of them
when I realized that my 2001D was deaf. I replaced the FET and added the
4 diodes. I had no problems using my 2001D on big antennas then.

The diode mod is factory done on newer production runs.

There are some websites showing how the repair and the mod is done...

Old March 21st 04, 04:20 PM
Volker Tonn

Michael Bryant schrieb:

If you can do nothing more than threaten people's ISPs for the provision of
Sw-related services, you should opt for silence.

Nobody asked for help on repair his 2010 this "Smokey" advertised. This
is against all newsgroup rules and well worth to complain. Done.

Old March 21st 04, 05:03 PM
Volker Tonn

Burr schrieb:

You need to go back on the other side of the wall!!!!

Back to your side?
No thanks. I love the freedom I have....
Too many fences around you (in the US). Some visible, most not.

Old March 21st 04, 05:52 PM
Tracy Fort

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 17:03:43 +0100, Volker Tonn
wrote:

Burr schrieb:

You need to go back on the other side of the wall!!!!

Back to your side?
No thanks. I love the freedom I have....
Too many fences around you (in the US). Some visible, most not.

OK...thats it...I've had enough! I'm reporting you to Creep ASAP.

hehe...

Tracy
Old March 21st 04, 08:21 PM
Volker Tonn

-=jd=- schrieb:

Someone asked for help - Smokey stepped up.

I saw no "" to another post.
Where and when did someone ask? 2 years ago...?

Of the replies posted, no-one else has a problem with it
(other than you).

I'm sure if (a very, very large *IF*) "Smokey's" ISP actually
pays any attention to your complaint, I'm sure that they
would do some cursory investigation before TOS'ing someone.
When they check the message thread you indicated, they will
see that most of the other posters do not agree with you.

That's not relevant.

They will probably then wonder (perhaps aloud), "This 'Volker
Tonn' dude's a bit touchy, isn't he?", and that will be that.

It's not my fault, others do not know basic newsgroup policies...
Any commercial advertisement to newsgroups other than a direct reply to
a specific post is UNWANTED SPAM.

I'd refrain from complaining to that same ISP again. As you
have a rather unusual posting name, they might remember you
as, "Oh... It's that Volker dude again trying to make a
mountain out of a mole-hill"...

Other than this "Smokey" I have no need to hide behind a nickname...

No offense intended, but realistically that's the way I see
it playing out. Other opinions may vary...

And remember, "Melvin Creep" has already claimed to be the
spokes-creep for the group. You should rag on his "Creepy"
arse for napping on the job. :-)

Oh ;-) Melvin is a 'registered troll[tm]'. I do not feed him.

Opinions pls: Sony 2010 or Sony SW07 Rob R. Shortwave 2 January 2nd 04 01:01 PM
How much should I pay for a new sony 2010? tlin Shortwave 3 November 24th 03 10:01 AM
Sony 2010 - Repair Shortwave 1 July 19th 03 10:26 PM
Sony 2010 needs repair Jay Mojave Shortwave 5 July 16th 03 11:54 AM