Old October 5th 05, 09:10 PM
TRABEM

Default epoxy instead of solder?

Has anyone tried Masterbonds conductive epoxy for attaching SMT
components to a printed circuit board?

Seems like a great idea, especially if it works well::

Old October 5th 05, 10:00 PM
John Fields

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 16:10:40 -0400, TRABEM wrote:

Has anyone tried Masterbonds conductive epoxy for attaching SMT
components to a printed circuit board?

Seems like a great idea, especially if it works well::

---
Aside from the resistivity of the epoxy, the largest problem I see
is throughput. That is, where are you going to store all those
boards while the epoxy is curing?

Plus, it makes it really messy for the salvagers/recyclers.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Old October 5th 05, 10:45 PM
Joerg

Hello John,

Aside from the resistivity of the epoxy, the largest problem I see
is throughput. That is, where are you going to store all those
boards while the epoxy is curing?

Then there is the stench that most epoxies let off. Mostly of the not so
healthy kind.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Old October 6th 05, 05:18 AM
Dr. Anton T. Squeegee

In article , TRABEM
says...

Has anyone tried Masterbonds conductive epoxy for attaching SMT
components to a printed circuit board?

Seems like a great idea, especially if it works well::

Not really. Consider the angle of serviceability. It's easy enough
to use a 'HoTweezer' station to replace a bad chip component secured
with solder. It's darn near impossible to replace the same component if
secured with Epoxy.

Also, I'm not convinced that "conductive" Epoxy really is. I'd
want to see some real numbers on resistance per cm/squared on the stuff
before I even consider it for any sort of repair work.

Any job worth doing is worth doing right. If you're trying to
attach surface-mount components, invest in the proper
soldering/desoldering equipment instead of looking for impractical
shortcuts. It may cost more at the get-go, but it'll cost a lot less in
the long run.

Keep the peace(es).

kyrrin (a/t) bluefeathertech[d=o=t]calm -- www.bluefeathertech.com
with surreal ports?"
Old October 6th 05, 09:44 AM
Robert Baer

John Fields wrote:

On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 16:10:40 -0400, TRABEM wrote:

Has anyone tried Masterbonds conductive epoxy for attaching SMT
components to a printed circuit board?

Seems like a great idea, especially if it works well::

---
Aside from the resistivity of the epoxy, the largest problem I see
is throughput. That is, where are you going to store all those
boards while the epoxy is curing?

Plus, it makes it really messy for the salvagers/recyclers.

I do not know about Masterbonds conductive epoxy(ies), but i have
used silver conductive epoxy.
1) EXPENSIVE, 2) good for short-term and medium-term repair, but no
where as reliable as a solder connection.

Old October 6th 05, 09:46 AM
Robert Baer

Dr. Anton T. Squeegee wrote:

In article , TRABEM
says...

[...]

The silver conductive epoxy is extremely conductive, and even tho i
never measuresd the resistivity, i would wager that it is better than
copper if used properly.
Old October 6th 05, 03:44 PM
John Popelish

Robert Baer wrote:

The silver conductive epoxy is extremely conductive, and even tho i
never measuresd the resistivity, i would wager that it is better than
copper if used properly.

Here are some examples of silver epoxies:
http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/460221
10^-3 ohm cm

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/8331.html
2*10^-2 ohm cm

http://bondline.net/datasheets/2072.pdf
4*10^-4 ohm cm

http://bondline.net/datasheets/2080.pdf
5*10^-3 ohm cm

http://bondline.net/datasheets/2111.pdf
2*10^-4 ohm cm

http://bondline.net/datasheets/2120.pdf
5*10^-3 ohm cm

Copper:
http://www.lehighton.com/AppNotes/Cu...llization.html
1.68*10^-6 ohm cm

According to these sources, copper is about 100 to 10,000 times as
conductive as silver filled epoxy.
Old October 6th 05, 03:47 PM
Tim Shoppa

Has anyone tried Masterbonds conductive epoxy for
attaching SMT components to a printed circuit board?
Seems like a great idea, especially if it works well::

Sounds like a terrible idea. The surface tension of solder and the
solder mask/PCB landing on the circuit board interact very nicely to
make sure that a blob of solder and the part itself stays on exactly
the right spot when you solder on a SMT component (either hand
soldering or toaster-oven style). None of that is working to your
advantage when you use epoxy.

Hand-soldering even fine-pitch (0.5mm) SMT stuff is not a big deal to
do by hand with even primitive (e.g. just a weller soldering iron and a
fine-tip point and some solder wick) tools. BGA's will require a
toaster oven though :-).

Tim.

Old October 6th 05, 05:59 PM
w2aew

It is done in special circumstances, but not that often. SMT passives
are available with different termination platings/coatings for such an
application, but they are harder to come by. It won't work as well if
you use devices with terminations intended for soldering.

Old October 7th 05, 01:35 AM
Ron H

The 3M conductive adhesives like the 9703 work well. Not sure how they do it
but it conducts in the Z axis ( thru the adhesive ) but not accross the
surface direction ( X & Y axis ). It's a pressure sensitive transfer
adhesive ( tape that you stick on then peel off the paper carrier leaving
the adhesive behind)

X-Y axis Insulation Resistance = 3.4 x 10 to the 14th Ohms/square
Z axis Contact Resistance = 1.25 milliOhm-in2

Pretty neat stuff!

Ron H.

x-- 30+ Days Binary Retention with High Completion
x-- Access to over 1.9 Terabytes per Day - $8.95/Month
x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

solder paste for SMT? TRABEM Homebrew 3 October 3rd 05 06:02 PM
Warning -- bad new type of solder flux Mike Knudsen Boatanchors 20 March 31st 04 10:46 PM
CHEAP SONY 2010 REPAIR Smokey Shortwave 23 March 28th 04 03:48 PM
sn96.3 ag3.7 solder qstn BOEING377 Boatanchors 12 February 17th 04 05:04 AM
Have You Been Harmed By Lead Solder? W6DKN Equipment 49 July 25th 03 12:11 AM