Old October 10th 05, 10:42 AM

Default EMTECH Kit Users...Opinions? Ideas?

Greetings One and All,

I am considering the EMTECH single band QRP kits, especially the
40 and 15 meter kits, with perhaps the 30m too.

Was wondering...

(1) Are there any kind of "users" groups for the rigs?

(2) Do the rigs have any popular "mods" published?

Direct replies to would be appreciated, but will
check back here also.

73 es TNX in advance

Steve, K4YZ

Old October 10th 05, 07:55 PM
Dale Parfitt

wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings One and All,

I am considering the EMTECH single band QRP kits, especially the
40 and 15 meter kits, with perhaps the 30m too.

Was wondering...

(1) Are there any kind of "users" groups for the rigs?

(2) Do the rigs have any popular "mods" published?

Direct replies to would be appreciated, but will
check back here also.

73 es TNX in advance

Steve, K4YZ

Hi Steve,

I got frustrated with their site ( dial up here). All I could find was the
boards for the rigs at $80 each. They show them in a cabinet, but darned if
I could find the cabinets.
Anyway, I would really consider the Elecraft K-1 or KX-1 kits as an
alternative with lots more features/perfomance than these rigs.

Dale W4OP

Old October 10th 05, 10:04 PM
Dale Parfitt

Hey Dale....

I e-mailed them some time ago and they said they weren't going to
market the cabinets any longer...You'd think they could at least change
the site to day so, eh?

And in researching it a bit more, I see they once offered that
add-in AF filter, but now only make reference to it as a "Handbook"
project.

I was leaning to the EMTECH kits from reviews I read in HAMBREW in
the 90's (96? 97?) It's on the website too... But in any case, I
liked the appearance of the rig and the extra power was nice too...

I'd love the Elecraft kits myself too...especially the K2, however
justifying the almost $400 expenditure to Mrs K4YZ would be a bit
problematic!

73

Steve, K4YZ

Hi Steve,

Current pricing on the K1 is $289 for the 2 band rig and $359 for the 4
bander. I have built the K2 7 or 8 years back- worked right off and a
fabulous rig. You won't be disappointed with a K1.
The Sierra is also a contender- but can get pricey.
Another great radio is the Dave Benson's Small Wonder Labs line:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/187
Talented designer and great support.

73,

Dale W4OP