Old October 26th 05, 07:58 PM
J Shrum

Default 20meter propagation question...

Thanks for all the replies folks... I work during the day, and haven't
really been listening except later in the night... so that would explain why
its so quiet at night. I took a quick listen during the day today... and oh
yeah, big difference.

Thanks for the help folks..

"Larry Gagnon" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 19:51:54 -0500, J Shrum wrote:

Greetings. I've only been a ham for a couple years. Not really done
anything
w/ it however. Just homebrewed a thing or two, but never made any QSO's.
just acquired a 5w 20m rig (all my budget could allow).
Can someone give me any tips on how to know when 20m is open? What time
of
year or time of day is typically good for 20?

Jim: 20M usually has signals readable almost ANY day from 6AM to 7PM from
all over North America and sometimes beyond. Only in the worst propagation
conditions can you not hear any signals.

I suspect one of 3 things if you are asking this question:

1) you don't get on the air enough and listen for signals
2) your antenna is very bad, untuned, or in mineshaft
3) your receiver is almost dead.

Check the band more often, check your antenna and check your receiver.

Larry VE7EA

Old October 26th 05, 08:01 PM
Caveat Lector

LISTEN TO THE NCDXF/IARU BEACONS -- THEY RUN 24 HOURS A DAY

--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

Old October 27th 05, 02:11 AM
Dan/W4NTI

Sorry Wendy... must of been a typo, right? WWV is on 15 Mhz.

Dan/W4NTI

"wendy" wrote in message
hi jim,

you should be able to copy wwv at 14.000 mhz anytime,

what type of antenna are you using (dipole, long wire)
tuner also ? How high is your antenna ?

73 wendy

J Shrum wrote:

Greetings. I've only been a ham for a couple years. Not really done
anything
w/ it however. Just homebrewed a thing or two, but never made any QSO's.
just acquired a 5w 20m rig (all my budget could allow).
Can someone give me any tips on how to know when 20m is open? What time
of
year or time of day is typically good for 20?
I tried looking over some MUF charts... but its greek to me at this
point.
I've tried googling, but unless I know exactly how to phrase my search,
I'm
coming up empty...

Any pointers would be great.
Thanks
Jim
KC9FFX

Old October 28th 05, 04:58 AM
Michael A. Terrell

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

Sorry Wendy... must of been a typo, right? WWV is on 15 Mhz.

Unless the receiver is really out of alignment! ;-)

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old October 28th 05, 05:21 AM
Bill

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

Sorry Wendy... must of been a typo, right? WWV is on 15 Mhz.

Unless the receiver is really out of alignment! ;-)

well, the IF image on many 'lesser' general coverage rigs with 455 kc IF
would fall within a pointer width of 14000 so the OP may have been
correct with his statement.

-Bill

Old October 28th 05, 03:48 PM
Michael Black

Bill ) writes:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

Sorry Wendy... must of been a typo, right? WWV is on 15 Mhz.

Unless the receiver is really out of alignment! ;-)

well, the IF image on many 'lesser' general coverage rigs with 455 kc IF
would fall within a pointer width of 14000 so the OP may have been
correct with his statement.

-Bill

And of course, the receivers that had such bad image rejection tended to
have lousy dial calibration too.

Michael VE2BVW

Old October 28th 05, 04:02 PM
Mike Andrews

Michael Black wrote:

Bill ) writes:
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Dan/W4NTI wrote:

Sorry Wendy... must of been a typo, right? WWV is on 15 Mhz.

Unless the receiver is really out of alignment! ;-)

well, the IF image on many 'lesser' general coverage rigs with 455 kc IF
would fall within a pointer width of 14000 so the OP may have been
correct with his statement.

-Bill

And of course, the receivers that had such bad image rejection tended to
have lousy dial calibration too.

As in "WWV comes in from 14.35 to 15.60, roughly."

I had one of those.

--
(About Cobalt): They're not servers. They're Fisher-Price toys with
delusions of grandeur. One of these days, I'm expecting someone to enter
Old October 30th 05, 01:17 AM
xpyttl

Jim

20 meters is mostly a daytime band, especially now that we are near the
bottom of the sunspot cycle. What that means, though, is daylight at
midpath, and on 20, paths tend to be long (even for QRP). So if the sun is
overhead say, 500 miles from you, there is a decent chance of hearing
something.

Depending on how far up in 9-land you are, 20 may close fairly early.
However, up here in the frozen north, there is often over the pole
propagation that seems to open up an hour or two after the band "closes".

If you listen during the day, you will hear the signals shift from the east
to the west with the sun. When all you can hear is California, the band
will probably be closing soon. But then again, depending on all sorts of
vagaries, it may soon be time to listen for Hawaii, Japan or Australia.

Don't be afraid to make a call. On 20 CW, 5 watts is more than enough. 20
is a fairly quiet band, and QRP signals don't get absorbed the way they do
on the lower frequencies. Once I tried a contest at a half a watt, and my
QSO rates were barely different than at 5 which in turn really weren't
noticably different than 100. They did fall off as I started to approach a
tenth, though. This is with a dipole at about 30 feet - nothing fancy.

Early morning is nice for Europe. Midday the states. Sunset look for South
America.

If you keep an eye on the propagation numbers, here are a few clues. The
"flux" as it applies to 20 really has to do with how CLOSE you can talk.
You will find that contacts closer than about 500 miles are tough on 20
unless the flux is high. A high flux might also help 20 stay open a little
longer after the sun sets. The K index jumping tends to indicate that we
have taken a hit from a burp the sun has made. An intial rapid rise will
mean the bands will be very noisy for a short while, but in an hour or two
propagation will suddenly get very good for a little while. Then, a few
days later, we -might- get hit with the follow on, which will essentially
shut things down for a day. Whether we get hit depends on the exact place
on the sun that burped. The initial radiation blast travels very quickly to
earth, and the matter that follows takes a lot longer. Thats why the
multi-day delay. The initial radiation blast causes the earth's magnetic
field to rock and roll for a few hours, which is why the noise. When it
settles down, though, the ionosphere is ionized as if the flux were high.
Then when the matter reaches earth (if it does) it will badly distort the
magnetic field for a day or sometimes more, making for very bad conditions.

If you can find some writings by Paul Harden, read them. This guy has lots
of great stuff on propagation.

"J Shrum" wrote in message
Greetings. I've only been a ham for a couple years. Not really done
anything
w/ it however. Just homebrewed a thing or two, but never made any QSO's. I

Propagation dxAce Shortwave 0 January 14th 05 11:22 PM
Propagation dxAce Shortwave 0 December 30th 04 07:39 PM
Propagation Question [email protected] Homebrew 4 December 26th 04 05:37 PM
Propagation dxAce Shortwave 1 November 11th 04 11:05 PM