Old November 11th 05, 01:47 PM
MadEngineer

Default 1936 vintage rig

Hi All,

My father, W7GEG, got his ticket in 1936 when he was in high school.
Like many others, he built his first rig. His transmitter was based on
an 809 tube and had plug-in coils to switch bands. His receiver was a
three-tube regenerative, but he doesn't remember the tube types. He
worked mainly 40 meters. According to my dad, both designs were very
popular at the time.

The rig worked the first time, and was a thrilling experience for him.
"I probably wouldn't have gone into a technical career had the radio
not worked," he told me. He holds a PhD in physics.

Can any old-timers out there help me with any information regarding
what he might have built? I thought I might try to either find or
build a similar rig as a gift, or at least present him with the plans
the equipment was based on.

Thanks, 73,
Glenn Dixon AC7ZN

Old November 11th 05, 03:10 PM
Chuck Hanavin

In article .com,
MadEngineer wrote:
Hi All,

Can any old-timers out there help me with any information regarding
what he might have built? I thought I might try to either find or
build a similar rig as a gift, or at least present him with the plans
the equipment was based on.

Thanks, 73,
Glenn Dixon AC7ZN

I'm Not really an old timer yet but you can get the complete
QST's from 1930-1939 on CDROM from the ARRL. That'll
be a nice gift, Im sure there
are plans in there to build a similar rig..

73
Old November 12th 05, 05:39 AM
gb

"MadEngineer" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Glenn- Google search for "GlowBugs"

Here is an 809 used as a final amplifier in a homebrew design (AB0CW)
http://www.qsl.net/ab0cw/809pa.htm

The 807 was also a very popular tube of that era
http://www.qsl.net/ab4yd/myprojects/index.htm

http://www.qsl.net/ab4yd/myprojects/80m_807_a/final.jpg

Some transmitter designs
http://www.mines.uidaho.edu/%7eglowbugs/tx/index.html

Old November 12th 05, 07:26 PM
Bill Janssen

gb wrote:

"MadEngineer" wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

And if you decide you need some parts I am sure that I and others can
come up
with most. Post your need here and some body will have what you need.

Bill K7NOM

Old November 14th 05, 03:43 PM
Tim Shoppa

Both the transmitter and receiver are "classic" designs that survived
(with variations) from the 1930's through at least the 1960's ARRL
handbooks. I don't think you'll find an exact copy of
what he built because most of these rigs were truly homebrewed out of
what was available
at the time.

By the 50's and 60's most single-tube transmitters didn't use triodes
like the 809 but used tetrodes like the 1625, the 6146, sweep tubes,
etc. But the principle is the same.

A three-tube regenerative was a very long-lived design as well, Allied
sold their "Space Spanner" and "Ocean Hopper" up through the 1960's I
think, maybe even the early 70's. A google for "three-tube
regenerative" shows up several in this vein using 30's era tubes, for
example:

http://www.qsl.net/wd4nka/TEXTS/REGENf~1.HTM

Tim.

Old November 17th 05, 02:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ken Scharf

Tim Shoppa wrote:
[...]

I built a single tube regen using a #19 tube from plans
in a book sold by Lindsay books (www.lindsaybks.com). It's
a surprisingly sensitive radio (using my GAP Titan antenna).
You do need 'phones to hear anything, but I suppose I could have
added an output stage to drive a speaker (maybe using a #33
pentode tube). BTW the #19 is a dual triode, so this radio
is the equal of a two tube set.

FA: Vintage Repair Books Scott CB 0 June 18th 04 05:30 PM
Vintage pc/radio bits FS milradio Equipment 0 January 3rd 04 07:08 PM
Vintage pc/radio bits FS milradio Equipment 0 January 3rd 04 07:08 PM
Vintage pc/radio bits FS milradio Homebrew 0 January 3rd 04 07:08 PM
Vintage CB photo gallery, callsign database and vintage CB recordings now on-line Night Ranger CB 1 October 31st 03 01:49 PM