RadioBanter

-   -   "Standard parts" for rf amps? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/82472-standard-parts-rf-amps.html)

Henry Kiefer November 22nd 05 12:13 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Hi all -

I'm not new to electronics but to vhf comm. I want to build small circuits:
LNA, power amp to 10 watts, etc. At the moment between 10MegHz and 150MegHz.

What are the standard parts, cheap but effective, preferable with spice
model availability (I'm doing much with LTspice)?
Transistors, ICs, coil-suppliers, suppliers in general for small quantities

Please no triodes etc. I like more SMD ;-)
Lists somewhere in the net? Japanese parts?

I think such lists will be of interest to others too!

Thank you!!

Best regards -
Henry

Henry Kiefer November 22nd 05 12:57 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Yes Jim!
Im not very experienced there (Digital designs/layout is my profession) -
but for example I designed a LNA and got simulations results (even for noise
performance) very similar to a real circuit built from a ham with great
background (found later on the net).
Even a Synchronous Oscillator for 145MegHz seem to work with LTspice. I work
on it today trying to modify it to an fsk modulated power oscillator to keep
component count to the lowest.

Why you ask?

- Henry

[email protected] November 22nd 05 01:21 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

No list needed!

VHF traditionally begins at around 6 meters, but design techniques
there are not much different from those used at 10 meters. The point
where you need to begin being more careful regarding circuit layout is
around 2 meters. Many devices that operate on the lower shortwave
bands still function reasonably well at this region. So... the same
analog circuits will work, but WATCH OUT for circuit layout.

The Eternal Squire

Mark November 22nd 05 01:37 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

there are lots of parts...

stat by looking at these vendors

Mini Circuits
Maxum

Mark

DaveM November 22nd 05 02:41 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

http://www.rfparts.com/ is a good source of RF components. Also look at
http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net/ for great prices on common parts.
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in

John Larkin November 22nd 05 03:59 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:40:40 -0800, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
wrote:

You are going to use Spice to model an RF circuit. DId I get that right?

Jim

Why not?

John

RST Engineering November 22nd 05 07:55 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Well, just for starters, what does Spice say about a 1000 pf capacitor with
either ½" lead lengths or a total of 1" of PCB trace at 150 MHz.?

Jim

Henry Kiefer November 22nd 05 11:18 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Ok Jim. You're asked about the stray components hidden in the real
parts/circuit. If you take the values from the datasheets for die and/or
package or give it a guess if not available, and add values for the pcb
lines, you have a good simulation result. The pcb by itself is not of much
interest if you simulate not much over 100MegHz. Even starting a oscillator
with thermal noise is possible!
Sure, you must know what you're doing :-)

Spice by itself can simulate almost all if you have the right models
included - even if you wanna simulate a mechanical system. There is no
frequency limit at least to 100GHz.

Do you had bad result doing Spice?

To come back to your question: Spice will give you better results than your
real circuit! You can connect a probe with no interaction to the circuit!
Try this with your real parts! Don't forget the component variations in real
circuits coming from the manufacturing processes of the parts.

- Henry

Henry Kiefer November 22nd 05 11:20 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Thank Mark!

MC and Maxim is not new to me. I thought on list of cheap, easy getting
parts with reasonable performance.

- Henry

oups.com...