RadioBanter

-   -   "Standard parts" for rf amps? (https://www.radiobanter.com/homebrew/82472-standard-parts-rf-amps.html)

Henry Kiefer November 22nd 05 12:13 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Hi all -

I'm not new to electronics but to vhf comm. I want to build small circuits:
LNA, power amp to 10 watts, etc. At the moment between 10MegHz and 150MegHz.

What are the standard parts, cheap but effective, preferable with spice
model availability (I'm doing much with LTspice)?
Transistors, ICs, coil-suppliers, suppliers in general for small quantities

Please no triodes etc. I like more SMD ;-)
Lists somewhere in the net? Japanese parts?

I think such lists will be of interest to others too!

Thank you!!

Best regards -
Henry

Henry Kiefer November 22nd 05 12:57 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Yes Jim!
Im not very experienced there (Digital designs/layout is my profession) -
but for example I designed a LNA and got simulations results (even for noise
performance) very similar to a real circuit built from a ham with great
background (found later on the net).
Even a Synchronous Oscillator for 145MegHz seem to work with LTspice. I work
on it today trying to modify it to an fsk modulated power oscillator to keep
component count to the lowest.

Why you ask?

- Henry

[email protected] November 22nd 05 01:21 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

No list needed!

VHF traditionally begins at around 6 meters, but design techniques
there are not much different from those used at 10 meters. The point
where you need to begin being more careful regarding circuit layout is
around 2 meters. Many devices that operate on the lower shortwave
bands still function reasonably well at this region. So... the same
analog circuits will work, but WATCH OUT for circuit layout.

The Eternal Squire

Mark November 22nd 05 01:37 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

there are lots of parts...

stat by looking at these vendors

Mini Circuits
Maxum

Mark

DaveM November 22nd 05 02:41 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

http://www.rfparts.com/ is a good source of RF components. Also look at
http://www.danssmallpartsandkits.net/ for great prices on common parts.
--
Dave M
MasonDG44 at comcast dot net (Just substitute the appropriate characters in

John Larkin November 22nd 05 03:59 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:40:40 -0800, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
wrote:

You are going to use Spice to model an RF circuit. DId I get that right?

Jim

Why not?

John

RST Engineering November 22nd 05 07:55 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Well, just for starters, what does Spice say about a 1000 pf capacitor with
either ½" lead lengths or a total of 1" of PCB trace at 150 MHz.?

Jim

Henry Kiefer November 22nd 05 11:18 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Ok Jim. You're asked about the stray components hidden in the real
parts/circuit. If you take the values from the datasheets for die and/or
package or give it a guess if not available, and add values for the pcb
lines, you have a good simulation result. The pcb by itself is not of much
interest if you simulate not much over 100MegHz. Even starting a oscillator
with thermal noise is possible!
Sure, you must know what you're doing :-)

Spice by itself can simulate almost all if you have the right models
included - even if you wanna simulate a mechanical system. There is no
frequency limit at least to 100GHz.

Do you had bad result doing Spice?

To come back to your question: Spice will give you better results than your
real circuit! You can connect a probe with no interaction to the circuit!
Try this with your real parts! Don't forget the component variations in real
circuits coming from the manufacturing processes of the parts.

- Henry

Henry Kiefer November 22nd 05 11:20 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Thank Mark!

MC and Maxim is not new to me. I thought on list of cheap, easy getting
parts with reasonable performance.

- Henry

oups.com...

[email protected] November 22nd 05 12:53 PM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:20:25 +0100, "Henry Kiefer"
wrote:

Thank Mark!

MC and Maxim is not new to me. I thought on list of cheap, easy getting
parts with reasonable performance.

- Henry

Minicircuits the MIMICs and mixers are of most interest and there
are inexpensive versions in the line up. What both offer is well
characterized RF 50 ohm port parts that behave well in circuits.
For example you can build a DBM, can you say for sure what the
characteristics will be from say 2-500mhz?

Other useful parts from there are VCOs and RF transformers.

Allison

RST Engineering November 22nd 05 06:05 PM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

"Henry Kiefer" wrote in message

Ok Jim. You're asked about the stray components hidden in the real
parts/circuit.

There is nothing hidden at all. Strays are a part of the real life at VHF
and above. Sometimes strays have more effect than the part itself.

If you take the values from the datasheets for die and/or
package or give it a guess if not available, and add values for the pcb
lines, you have a good simulation result.

Horsefeathers. What "values" do you add for the pcb lines?

The pcb by itself is not of much
interest if you simulate not much over 100MegHz. Even starting a
oscillator
with thermal noise is possible!
Sure, you must know what you're doing :-)

As with anything in the world.

Spice by itself can simulate almost all if you have the right models
included - even if you wanna simulate a mechanical system. There is no
frequency limit at least to 100GHz.

The problem is getting the right models, which is an art in and of itself.

Do you had bad result doing Spice?

To come back to your question: Spice will give you better results than
your
real circuit! You can connect a probe with no interaction to the circuit!
Try this with your real parts! Don't forget the component variations in
real
circuits coming from the manufacturing processes of the parts.

Again I ask the question: What does Spice say about a 1000 pf capacitor
with 1" total lead length at 150 MHz.? Don't give me the BS about Spice
being "better than a real circuit". Until you can give me a ferrite slug on
one end of a toothpick and a brass slug on the other end to increase or
decrease inductance in Spice, the physical circuit is the "real" circuit.

Jim

Chris Jones November 22nd 05 10:39 PM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

RST Engineering wrote:

"Henry Kiefer" wrote in message

Ok Jim. You're asked about the stray components hidden in the real
parts/circuit.

There is nothing hidden at all. Strays are a part of the real life at VHF
and above. Sometimes strays have more effect than the part itself.

You have to put the strays into the spice model if you want an accurate
result, just like you would have to if you work it out with a pencil and
paper.

If you take the values from the datasheets for die and/or
package or give it a guess if not available, and add values for the pcb
lines, you have a good simulation result.

Horsefeathers. What "values" do you add for the pcb lines?

You can work out the inductance, resistance (including skin effect) and
capacitance of arbitrary structures using the free programs FastCap and
FastHenry, though these consider inductive and capacitive effects
separately so you have to break the problem into several parts sometimes,
e.g. if the structure is a significant fraction of a wavelength in size.
Constructing the model files can be tedious, and you may end up having to
write some code to automate it. You can view the model files using a
viewer program which used to be and hopefully still is available from
www.fastfieldsolvers.com You could also buy one of the commercial
full-wave solvers if you have more spare money than time.

The pcb by itself is not of much
interest if you simulate not much over 100MegHz. Even starting a
oscillator
with thermal noise is possible!
Sure, you must know what you're doing :-)

As with anything in the world.

Spice by itself can simulate almost all if you have the right models
included - even if you wanna simulate a mechanical system. There is no
frequency limit at least to 100GHz.

The problem is getting the right models, which is an art in and of itself.

Right but you have to do that one way or another anyway even if the model is
inside your head, unless you design purely by trial and error.

Do you had bad result doing Spice?

To come back to your question: Spice will give you better results than
your
real circuit! You can connect a probe with no interaction to the circuit!
Try this with your real parts! Don't forget the component variations in
real
circuits coming from the manufacturing processes of the parts.

Again I ask the question: What does Spice say about a 1000 pf capacitor
with 1" total lead length at 150 MHz.? Don't give me the BS about Spice
being "better than a real circuit". Until you can give me a ferrite slug
on one end of a toothpick and a brass slug on the other end to increase or
decrease inductance in Spice, the physical circuit is the "real" circuit.

Jim

The real advantage of spice is in situations where trial and error is more
expensive than getting it right the first time (where you can justify
spending a long time making good models). He does also have a point about
being able to probe components inside a circuit that you could never probe
on a real one due to loading effects of the real probe. It seems to me
that your real objection is not with computer simulation of circuits, but
rather with poor models for components. Fair enough, garbage in garbage
out, but I would consider using bad models to be a form of 'user error'.

Chris

Ken Smith November 23rd 05 01:36 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

In article ,
RST Engineering wrote:

"Henry Kiefer" wrote in message

Ok Jim. You're asked about the stray components hidden in the real
parts/circuit.

There is nothing hidden at all. Strays are a part of the real life at VHF
and above. Sometimes strays have more effect than the part itself.

Heck, that can happen before you hit 1MHz. Check out the ESL and ESR of a
47,000uF capacitor some time.

forging knowledge

Roy Lewallen November 23rd 05 01:52 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Ken Smith wrote:

Heck, that can happen before you hit 1MHz. Check out the ESL and ESR of a
47,000uF capacitor some time.

How about dielectric absorption ("soak")? I first encountered this in an
electrolytic capacitor being used for generating a sweep of about a
minute duration. The capacitor had to be kept shorted for several
seconds between sweeps in order for the charge to adequately empty, an
equivalent frequency of less than one Hz.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Joel Kolstad November 23rd 05 01:53 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

"Ken Smith" wrote in message
Heck, that can happen before you hit 1MHz. Check out the ESL and ESR of a
47,000uF capacitor some time.

For some of the university work I've done, some of our reference papers are
from people modeling power lines as full-fledged transmission lines that are
many wavelengths long at 50Hz. No simple equivalent circuit model works for
them either!

Joel Kolstad November 23rd 05 02:02 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

"Joel Kolstad" wrote in message
For some of the university work I've done, some of our reference papers are
from people modeling power lines as full-fledged transmission lines that are
many wavelengths long at 50Hz. No simple equivalent circuit model works for
them either!

OK, I did get a little over-excited there -- it should say "that are
significant fractions of a wavelength long," (e.g., more than 1/6th) such that
you can't use a simple circuit model for them.

John Larkin November 23rd 05 02:12 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 23:55:26 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Well, just for starters, what does Spice say about a 1000 pf capacitor with
either ½" lead lengths or a total of 1" of PCB trace at 150 MHz.?

Jim

When they matter, just poke in the appropriate series L or a bit of
transmission line. I use Spice now and then to sim picosecond stuff.
Even if the simulation isn't highly accurate, it helps train your
instincts, shows you which parasitics will have which effects, so when
you build the real thing you have a jump on the complexity.

Hell, 150 MHz is slow.

John

John Larkin November 23rd 05 02:14 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:05:02 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

"Henry Kiefer" wrote in message

Ok Jim. You're asked about the stray components hidden in the real
parts/circuit.

There is nothing hidden at all. Strays are a part of the real life at VHF
and above. Sometimes strays have more effect than the part itself.

If you take the values from the datasheets for die and/or
package or give it a guess if not available, and add values for the pcb
lines, you have a good simulation result.

Horsefeathers. What "values" do you add for the pcb lines?

Lumped L and C if things are slow, or a hunk of transmission line when
things get fast. Works fine.

John

Roy Lewallen November 23rd 05 02:37 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Joel Kolstad wrote:
"Joel Kolstad" wrote in message

For some of the university work I've done, some of our reference papers are
from people modeling power lines as full-fledged transmission lines that are
many wavelengths long at 50Hz. No simple equivalent circuit model works for
them either!

OK, I did get a little over-excited there -- it should say "that are
significant fractions of a wavelength long," (e.g., more than 1/6th) such that
you can't use a simple circuit model for them.

That's interesting -- SPICE has models for (lossless) transmission
lines, and lines of that length can also be adequately modeled with a
few LC sections. I can imagine line loss could be tricky, though. I've
modeled skin effect loss in the process of designing time-domain
circuits to compensate for delay line loss over a wide time range (and
therefore broad frequency range). But loss due to interaction of the
fields with ground underneath the wires might be more difficult. At
least you've only got one frequency to deal with -- unless harmonic
content is high enough to worry about. Perhaps you've also got to deal
with loss due to radiation?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

RST Engineering \(jw\) November 23rd 05 06:21 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Agreed, John, 150 MHz is damned near DC for a lot of us, but as yet I have
no answer from the "spice" folks for the 1 nf capacitor question. A lot of
fancydancing but no answers.

John Devereux November 23rd 05 09:43 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

"RST Engineering \(jw\)" writes:

Agreed, John, 150 MHz is damned near DC for a lot of us, but as yet I have
no answer from the "spice" folks for the 1 nf capacitor question. A lot of
fancydancing but no answers.

I am not an expert, but can you not just add a bit of series L to
approximate this? Or even transmission line for higher frequencies /
longer tracks.

I have had surprisingly good results simulating a single transistor
UHF oscillator at ~500MHz. The results agreed with reality quite well,
even *without* explicitly modelling all the parasitics. Certainly
spice was better than me at predicting what would happen (although
that is not saying much!) I guess perhaps the reason that I could get
away with this was because of the small size and high performance of
SMT parts these days.

--

John Devereux

Winfield Hill November 23rd 05 01:32 PM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

jw\ wrote...

Agreed, John, 150 MHz is damned near DC for a lot of us, but as
yet I have no answer from the "spice" folks for the 1 nf capacitor
question. A lot of fancydancing but no answers.

Spice, smice. You got good answers. Wake up, spice is just an
engine to run your component models in circuits of your making.
Once one gets beyond the "toy" level of using spice it becomes
necessary to vet and complete the models of all your critical
components, including parasitic circuit elements. Want a good
RF capacitor model, you do well to make it yourself, from the
manufacturer's data and info, and from your understanding of the
part, aided by theory and bench measurements. Then vet your model
with more bench measurements. Thinking about component leads and
PCB wiring? Hey, you need to explicitly add all these into your
circuit. Just don't blame any resulting shortcomings on "spice."

--
Thanks,
- Win

Roy Lewallen November 23rd 05 02:23 PM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

RST Engineering (jw) wrote:
Agreed, John, 150 MHz is damned near DC for a lot of us, but as yet I have
no answer from the "spice" folks for the 1 nf capacitor question. A lot of
fancydancing but no answers.

Jim

I didn't realize that this question was addressed to all "'spice'
folks", but was directed only to the OP. That's probably why the
"'spice' folks" haven't leapt to respond. Anyone who uses SPICE
professionally, and indeed a great number of amateur users should be
able to answer the question easily.

At 150 MHz, a capacitor lead can generally be handled as a single lumped
inductance. The amount depends on the wire's diameter and environment,
but around 7 nH is a good working number for a half inch lead. The
inductance of the capacitor body itself might have to be included in the
model if high accuracy is important. Capacitance to ground, from both
the leads and the capacitor body, might also be important if the
impedance of the circuit to ground is high. If so, it can be included.
The way I'd approach inclusion of the C would be to calculate the
impedance and length of the transmission line comprised of the lead and
ground plane or capacitor body and ground plane, then convert those
values to a single series L and shunt C rather than just directly using
a transmission line model -- very short transmission lines in a model
can greatly slow SPICE calculations unless there are also other very
short time constants involved.

On the other hand, if the "leads" are PC traces over a ground plane,
shunt capacitance will be higher, and the approach I mentioned with the
transmission line is the way I'd always do it. The model for the leads
would include both L and C. As an example, if the "lead" is a .010"
trace on .032" FR4 material (er ~ 5) over a ground plane, it makes a
transmission line of Z0 = 105 ohms, velocity factor 0.55. The equivalent
L and C of a half inch of this line are 8 nH and 0.73 pF respectively.

Other characteristics of the capacitor such as ESR might have to be
included in the model depending on the application.

You gave a capacitor value in your question -- an ideal capacitor of
that value would of course be the other part of the model.

SPICE is used daily, as it has been for decades, by professionals and
produces strikingly good results in the hands of someone who is skilled
at modeling and has a good understanding of the circuitry being modeled.
I've personally used SPICE for modeling linear to highly nonlinear
circuits up to 50 GHz, where even tiny SMT components were often modeled
as transmission lines and every pad and solder blob is significant and
included. The results were used in the design of products which have
been successfully produced by the thousands and sold for years.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

[email protected] November 23rd 05 03:27 PM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 06:23:58 -0800, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

RST Engineering (jw) wrote:
[...]

The problem is the higher the frequency the more second and third
order effects are noted. A 1000pF cap at 1mhz is a cap for all
intents. At 150mhz it's now a complex RLC.

On the other hand, if the "leads" are PC traces over a ground plane,
shunt capacitance will be higher, and the approach I mentioned with the
transmission line is the way I'd always do it. The model for the leads
would include both L and C. As an example, if the "lead" is a .010"
trace on .032" FR4 material (er ~ 5) over a ground plane, it makes a
transmission line of Z0 = 105 ohms, velocity factor 0.55. The equivalent
L and C of a half inch of this line are 8 nH and 0.73 pF respectively.

There is a point here where you have to ask is a PCB trace a cap,
inductor or more realisticly a transmission line. Each has it's model
and they are different. With two sided (or more layers) board the
transmission line model is likely the one to use. Especially if your
working with VHF transistors at any power level as impedences
are in the range of a few hundred ohms on the high side and fractions
of an ohm at the low side. Typical 30-100W devices have an imput
imedence under 2 ohms ( and Xc) and output in the sub 4 ohms range
depending on power. In those cases everything counts and getting
hard numbers requires some work.

It hits a hard nail on what model to use and when because spice will
only give the results you asked for be they real or imagined.

Other characteristics of the capacitor such as ESR might have to be
included in the model depending on the application.

In most I'd naturally assume though at low VHF it's less signigicant
than at 2.4ghz.

You gave a capacitor value in your question -- an ideal capacitor of
that value would of course be the other part of the model.

And depending on frequency it may be a open ended transmission line
on the etch.

SPICE is used daily, as it has been for decades, by professionals and
produces strikingly good results in the hands of someone who is skilled
at modeling and has a good understanding of the circuitry being modeled.
I've personally used SPICE for modeling linear to highly nonlinear
circuits up to 50 GHz, where even tiny SMT components were often modeled
as transmission lines and every pad and solder blob is significant and
included. The results were used in the design of products which have
been successfully produced by the thousands and sold for years.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Spice is a great tool. Like every tool one must know how it works,
how to use it to its fullest and knowing the tool can hurt you if
abused. When introduced to spice for the first time I was told
garbage in, garbage out and never assume that computer
crunched garbage is anything other than composted garbage.
What I've found is that Spice does allow you the luxury of saying
"what if" or "how does that affect xxx" even if you are not sure it's
real.

Allison
KB1GMX

Henry Kiefer November 23rd 05 06:27 PM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

I know of a german power line corporation who develops Spice models for
their power line test equipment. So it must be possible...

- Henry

Henry Kiefer November 23rd 05 06:38 PM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

I don't know why "RST" is so aggressive but I would mention here, that the
really funny part begins if you garbage in and get meaningful output!

I like to smell the solder iron but it can be very interesting playing with
Spice and see how changing values can and CAN BE NOT have a drastic result
in the simulation. Sometimes changes are not so great in result and parts
can be simpler made. e.g. changed from 1% to 5% or more.

- Henry

Henry Kiefer November 23rd 05 07:55 PM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

OK Jim -

I simulated your question in a first trial. Here is the result:
approx. 70MegHz resonance for 100pF, 30mOhm ESR and 5nH for the trace.
Surely I would prefer smd chips having better results.

BTW: I cannot understand why you're so aggressive and I would prefer that
the thread will go in direction of my FIRST posting. I'm doing electronics
since I was 12 years old and that is 25 years back. I have for example a
patent application made and worked in the communication industry. So you can
surely think I know what I'm doing. Thanks!

Henry Kiefer November 23rd 05 07:57 PM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

You can that simulate as a rc coupled line of a few steps. That works even
for battery simulations.

- Henry

RST Engineering \(jw\) November 23rd 05 11:05 PM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

"Henry Kiefer" wrote in message
OK Jim -

I simulated your question in a first trial. Here is the result:
approx. 70MegHz resonance for 100pF, 30mOhm ESR and 5nH for the trace.
Surely I would prefer smd chips having better results.

But that wasn't the question. THe question was to simulate a 1000 pf (1 nf)
capacitor at 150 MHz. with an inch of lead or an inch of normal pcb trace
and tell me what you get.

BTW: I cannot understand why you're so aggressive and I would prefer that
the thread will go in direction of my FIRST posting.

OK by me.

I'm doing electronics
since I was 12 years old

8 years old.

and that is 25 years back.

54 years back.

I have for example a
patent application made

I've got a few more.

and worked in the communication industry.

38 years straight now.

So you can
surely think I know what I'm doing.

Then answer the question.

Jim

Winfield Hill November 24th 05 01:49 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

jw\ wrote...

The question was to simulate a 1000 pf (1 nf) capacitor at
150 MHz. with an inch of lead or an inch of normal pcb trace
and tell me what you get.

Such a question is stupid and incomplete. First of all, in
cases where impedance matters, one wouldn't dare use an inch
of lead at 150MHz, we'd cut that short, 0.1-inch max. And
we certainly wouldn't use an inch of pcb trace unless it was
field-controlled with a ground plane. This is true whether a
1nF cap is involved or not. If you were to insist on analyzing
an inch of lead, we'd insist on knowing *all* about the ground
scene. Since you aggressively put your question without any
relevant information about what the ground is like, and where
it is, the question is intrinsically-stupid and incomplete.

Sorry, jw\, but that's the way it is.

BTW: I cannot understand why you're so aggressive ...

Indeed.

Then answer the question.

Answered repeatedly already.

--
Thanks,
- Win

JeffM November 24th 05 02:04 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Mark wrote [WITHOUT CONTEXT]:
there are lots of parts...

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/1e72eb22780bfcee/6939ac83d77b8ded?q=don't-click-the-reply-link-that-is-in-plain-sight+To-get-context-the-easy-way+on-Google+zzz+show-options*-*-*-snip-*-*-*-*-the-automated-blockquote-*-*-*+click-THAT-Reply-link

Roy Lewallen November 24th 05 04:31 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

RST Engineering (jw) wrote:
. . .
Then answer the question.

Did you find my answer to be inadequate or incorrect? If so, in what
ways? If not, why do you need it to be answered again?

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
-- one of the "'spice' folks"

Henry Kiefer November 24th 05 07:40 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

"RST Engineering (jw)" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I simulated your question in a first trial. Here is the result:
approx. 70MegHz resonance for 100pF, 30mOhm ESR and 5nH for the trace.
Surely I would prefer smd chips having better results.

But that wasn't the question. THe question was to simulate a 1000 pf (1

nf)
capacitor at 150 MHz. with an inch of lead or an inch of normal pcb trace
and tell me what you get.

Then answer the question.

OK - playing on:
I got nothing. There is no power supply. No antenna interaction. No thermal
noise source. You circuit is bull****!

Maybe we have a communication problem and should drink a beer??
- Henry

RST Engineering \(jw\) November 24th 05 05:55 PM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

"Winfield Hill" wrote in message

jw\ wrote...

The question was to simulate a 1000 pf (1 nf) capacitor at
150 MHz. with an inch of lead or an inch of normal pcb trace
and tell me what you get.

Such a question is stupid and incomplete.

No, Win, the question is well formed and quite complete. Sleep off the ten
shots of Old Rammycackle and let's have the discussion when you are sober.

First of all, in
cases where impedance matters, one wouldn't dare use an inch
of lead at 150MHz, we'd cut that short, 0.1-inch max.

No, Win, neither you nor I would do such a thing. But somebody who is (as
the OP posted) new to the RF world would do so without a second thought.
You and I have been playing this game all our lives and take self-resonance
into account without even thinking about it. However, a student new to the
field (as my freshman engineering students are) makes the mistake
repeatedly, even when using a decent text called ... um ... The Art Of
Something Or Other. When their RF amplifier starts squeeging or
motorboating, I tell them that the power supply isn't bypassed well enough,
and I'll be damned if the first thing they do is put a BIGGER capacitor on
the supply line.

I'll then ask them what they think the bypass impedance is and get the stock
answer "1/(2*pi*f*c)". Hm, says I, how about the three inches of wire
between the capacitor and the supply line. Oh, says them, that's a direct
short. Straight wire doesn't have a reactive component. Hm, says I, let's
see what the network analyzer says about that. Hm, says student, it says 60
nanohenries. How can that be? Mm, 20 nanohenries per inch for #20 wire
sounds about right, so what does that series circuit look like? Hm.
Inductive at the frequency of interest. Now, grasshopper, tell me about
self-resonance of capacitors with long leads.

And
we certainly wouldn't use an inch of pcb trace unless it was
field-controlled with a ground plane.

That's not always an option in commercial gear, Win.

This is true whether a
1nF cap is involved or not. If you were to insist on analyzing
an inch of lead, we'd insist on knowing *all* about the ground
scene. Since you aggressively put your question without any
relevant information about what the ground is like, and where
it is, the question is intrinsically-stupid and incomplete.

If I didn't say what the ground is, then we can assume that I formulated the
question without ground plane. 99% of the commercial products run this way.

Sorry, jw\, but that's the way it is.

Sorry, Win, that's NOT the real world.

Jim

John Larkin November 24th 05 06:20 PM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:05:42 -0800, "RST Engineering \(jw\)"
wrote:

"Henry Kiefer" wrote in message
OK Jim -

I simulated your question in a first trial. Here is the result:
approx. 70MegHz resonance for 100pF, 30mOhm ESR and 5nH for the trace.
Surely I would prefer smd chips having better results.

But that wasn't the question. THe question was to simulate a 1000 pf (1 nf)
capacitor at 150 MHz. with an inch of lead or an inch of normal pcb trace
and tell me what you get.

The question is unclear. Any component must have a return path, either
when you measure it or when you use it in a circuit. The entire loop
determines the "lead" inductance. If I solder an axial cap, with 1" of
extra leads, onto the end of a hunk of coax, and analyze it with a VNA
or TDR, I can bend the cap leads into various fat/flat loops and push
the L all over the place.

John

Henry Kiefer November 26th 05 10:15 PM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

And why, Jim, you don't comment my effort?

Maybe I'm newer to rf as you but where is the difference between a
microprocessor decoupling from the power supply at 100MegHz and a rf stage
at the same frequency? Truly the cpu is more challenging because of the
broad used spectrum above 100MegHz.

Done PowerPC, PCI stuff and others....

- Henry

Chris Jones November 26th 05 11:44 PM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

RST Engineering (jw) wrote:

"Winfield Hill" wrote in message

jw\ wrote...

The question was to simulate a 1000 pf (1 nf) capacitor at
150 MHz. with an inch of lead or an inch of normal pcb trace
and tell me what you get.

Such a question is stupid and incomplete.

No, Win, the question is well formed and quite complete. Sleep off the
ten shots of Old Rammycackle and let's have the discussion when you are
sober.

It is not a complete question. You could get all sorts of different
parasitic inductance values by putting the component near or far from other
metallic objects, which usually occurs to some extent in any practical
situation. Many other things will affect the answer.

You have not yet supplied anything other than a single dimension measurement
for the component. If you want the inductance, skin effect, etc. then you
would have to give me a dimensioned drawing showing the placement of the
wires, the plating material, plating thickness and the internal
construction of the capacitor. (You would also have to pay me enough to
make it worth me bothering to simulate it.) Your question is incomplete.

[...]

Well as you have not specified whether this is "commercial gear" and what
type of PCB material, dielectric thickness, trace width etc. of course we
can't tell you the answer. Neither could a guy who was going to answer
your question by building one and measuring it. He could find one possible
answer but there are lots of possible answers which differ because you have
not given us a complete problem to solve.

This is true whether a
1nF cap is involved or not. If you were to insist on analyzing
an inch of lead, we'd insist on knowing *all* about the ground
scene. Since you aggressively put your question without any
relevant information about what the ground is like, and where
it is, the question is intrinsically-stupid and incomplete.

If I didn't say what the ground is, then we can assume that I formulated
the
question without ground plane. 99% of the commercial products run this
way.

You still gave insufficient information on the wire geometry. I would
refute your claim that 99% of commercial products don't use a ground plane.
The cell-phone market is in the high hundreds of millions of units this
year, and is likely to reach 1 billion units per year next year, and I
guarantee you that every one will contain a multi-layer PCB with ground
planes and microstrip traces etc. every one of them designed using field
simulators and some version of SPICE to model the integrated circuit
packages and bondwires, as well as the antenna. I don't believe that this
one billion units would fit into the 1% minority of products that you think
have ground planes!

Sorry, jw\, but that's the way it is.

Sorry, Win, that's NOT the real world.

Jim

Anyhow, until you tell me how long a piece of string is, (to the nearest
micron or micro-inch whichever you prefer), I have had enough of this
thread.

Chris

Martin November 27th 05 03:53 AM

"Standard parts" for rf amps?

Am Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:55:13 -0800 schrieb RST Engineering (jw)
:

into account without even thinking about it. However, a student new to
the
field (as my freshman engineering students are) makes the mistake
repeatedly, even when using a decent text called ... um ... The Art Of
Something Or Other. When their RF amplifier starts squeeging or
motorboating, I tell them that the power supply isn't bypassed well
enough,
and I'll be damned if the first thing they do is put a BIGGER capacitor
on
the supply line.

Like some of us could lough nicely, when a new guy at a customer
(semiconductor fab/asics) of the last company I worked for had to test an
RF Chip. Another engineer came to look what the guy is doing, saw he
didn't bypass the power supply and recommended to do so. The young
engineer put a nice 2200µF electrolytic at the terminals of the
lab-power-supply.

--
Martin