Old January 8th 06, 07:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Jim Thompson

Default Doppler Radar

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 09:34:41 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Precisely the plan, Wes. The horn serves two purposes. One, it alerts the
transgressor that they pushed the button. Two, it alerts me to fire up the
truck and block the road.

As others have pointed out, a two pressure hose setup and some simple math
in a microprocessor of some sort would serve the same purpose at far less
current draw, but I'd like to try the radar gun first.

Hell, Jim Thompson went on for two weeks about how to detect a school bus
pulling up in front of the house. I thought this one would go on for at
LEAST as long {;-)

BTW, Jim, what was your ultimate solution to that problem?

Jim

[snip]

Sit in my office from 7:45-8:00AM, so I'm looking out the window ;-)

What I am going to try, when I have the time, is a suggestion that
colored LED's make color-sensitive detectors.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Old January 8th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Joerg

Hello Jim,

Since you said this is a road with very little traffic can't you just
rig up two IR sensing paths? Like on garage doors? It's unlikely that
there'd be two cars passing each other in opposite direction.

Then all you'd need would be a ramp generator that gets started by
whichever IR sensor goes first. It is reset by the other sensor. If the
reset occurs and the ramp voltage didn't reach a set threshold that
means whatever triggered it was going to fast.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Old January 8th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Wes Stewart

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 14:42:32 GMT, Fred Bloggs
wrote:

Wes Stewart wrote:

28-628. Rights of real property owners

This chapter does not prevent the owner of real property that is used
by the public for purposes of vehicular travel by permission of the
owner and not as a matter of right from:

1. Prohibiting that use.

2. Requiring other, different or additional conditions than those
specified in this chapter.

3. Otherwise regulating the use as deemed best by the owner.

In other words, I get to regulate the speed (I've posted it as 10
MPH). I have no power to fine UPS, but I can still cost them money.

You are not reading the wording carefully; it is the "not as a matter of
right from" that you are missing. It very well may be a matter of right
if the private road is co-owned by the other property holders and this
ownership allows them the right to transact business in the way of
receiving deliveries as they choose.

Gray area. The road is not co-owned by the other property owners. At
least my deed doesn't say a thing about me co-owning a piece of the
property between the public street and me.

Besides, I'm not going to stop the delivery, I'm just going to do some
"traffic calming" when the truch is leaving.

What you're trying to tell me is that I've given up complete control
of an easement and if the truck drivers want to go 100 MPH I have no
say in the matter. If I were to call the Sheriff's office I'd be
told, "It's private property, we can't do a thing." If I asked the
county to grade it I would be told to kiss off. If someone got hurt
on the easement, I would be liable. When I bought the place the title
company had a hissy fit because there wasn't a road maintenance
agreement in place. It took the appraiser writing something to the
effect that this was a typical situation in this area, and that each
property owner maintained the road on his easement, before the company
would issue title insurance.

Sounds to me like I do have some say so over the property.

Old January 9th 06, 02:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design

Dan Richardson wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jan 2006 11:28:12 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Is there a cheap source for onesies-twosies of a radar front-end that will
give me doppler audio as a function of a large metal object's speed at a
range of 20 meters or so? I don't need to go into production on this thing,
just build one. A surplus source would be ideal.

Ramsey makes a kit. You can find the info he

http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/id..._radar_kit.htm

Danny, K6MHE

no offense but:

ramsey's kiit emits all of about 500 microwatts at 1.6 ghz, useless
for dogs, but Ok for part 15 radar of cars.

try www.shfmicro.com

Steve Roberts

Old January 9th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
James T. White

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message

[...]

Wes,

Since you have to maintain your portion of the easement, why not build
some "road humps" so the delivery trucks have to slow down or risk
having to resort all the parcels in the back?

--
James T. White

Old January 9th 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
RST Engineering

Good idea, Joerg. Where do I get onesie-twosie IR sensors that will trigger
at 3 meters or better?

Jim

om...

Old January 9th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
James T. White

"RST Engineering (jw)" wrote in message
You are one of the idiots I don't ever want to live next to. We can

talk to
the parents until we are blue in the face and the kids are going to be

kids.

Please butt out of this conversation.

Ji

Jim,

What makes you think the kids won't drive as fast as they can just to
set off your new speed activated siren and **** you off?

--
James T. White

Old January 9th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
RST Engineering

Wes...

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on newsgroups. However, having spent a
dozen years in the highest public office in this county and sorting this
sort of crap out week after week, you have ABSOLUTE control over the
easement.

You cannot PROHIBIT transit over the easement, but you can establish
"reasonable" controls over passage. A locked gate with "reasonable" access
to the keys is OK. A chain that you have to get out of your vehicle to
unlock is reasonable. Ten gates with keys may be reasonable or
unreasonable, depending on your county judge.

Best wishes, and thanks for your help.

Jim

Old January 9th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
RST Engineering

Because road humps expose you to liability for that sort of stuff...like
wheel alignments and the like due to the fact that there is no national or
regional standard for "road humps". Trust me, I'm in a court case like this
right now and nobody can present evidence for the correct design of "road
humps".

Jim

Old January 9th 06, 04:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
RST Engineering

Quite frankly, I don't give a hairy rat's ass for your practical or
political opinion. ATFQ from a technical point of view or butt out. I can
take care of the rest of it myself.

Jim