Old January 9th 06, 06:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
John Miles

Default Doppler Radar

In article ,
says...
You are one of the idiots I don't ever want to live next to. We can talk to
the parents until we are blue in the face and the kids are going to be ...
kids.

Gee, and technological solutions to social problems always work SO well.

-- jm

http://www.qsl.net/ke5fx
Note: My E-mail address has been altered to avoid spam
Old January 9th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Wes Stewart

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 20:06:47 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Wes...

I'm not a lawyer, nor do I play one on newsgroups. However, having spent a
dozen years in the highest public office in this county and sorting this
sort of crap out week after week, you have ABSOLUTE control over the
easement.

You cannot PROHIBIT transit over the easement, but you can establish
"reasonable" controls over passage. A locked gate with "reasonable" access
to the keys is OK. A chain that you have to get out of your vehicle to
unlock is reasonable. Ten gates with keys may be reasonable or
unreasonable, depending on your county judge.

Actually, there is a gate at the street. We used to close it at least
at night, although for some reason that slowly ended. It was never
locked, but the sight of it closed stopped a lot of casual traffic
that didn't belong here.

Best wishes, and thanks for your help.

Good luck with the project!
Old January 9th 06, 03:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Jim Thompson

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 20:09:39 -0800, "RST Engineering"
wrote:

Because road humps expose you to liability for that sort of stuff...like
wheel alignments and the like due to the fact that there is no national or
regional standard for "road humps". Trust me, I'm in a court case like this
right now and nobody can present evidence for the correct design of "road
humps".

Jim

Since you have to maintain your portion of the easement, why not build
some "road humps" so the delivery trucks have to slow down or risk
having to resort all the parcels in the back?

There are speed bumps all over this valley on CITY-maintained streets,
as well as speed bumps in many shopping centers.

Since I've not heard of a suit, you might look into Arizona law as to
what's legal and extrapolate to your situation.

BTW, Scottsdale also uses tight-ass round-abouts to slow traffic...
you have to slow or you'll rollover.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Old January 9th 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Richard Henry

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
BTW, Scottsdale also uses tight-ass round-abouts to slow traffic...
you have to slow or you'll rollover.

Can you give me the address of such an intersection? I'd like to look at
some on google maps for background on a local street-improvement project.

Old January 9th 06, 04:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Mike Andrews

In rec.radio.amateur.homebrew Richard Henry wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
BTW, Scottsdale also uses tight-ass round-abouts to slow traffic...
you have to slow or you'll rollover.

Can you give me the address of such an intersection? I'd like to look at
some on google maps for background on a local street-improvement project.

Google for "chicane"; that's the generic name for tight wiggle-like
features built into roads and streets to force traffic to slow down.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO

Tired old sysadmin

Old January 9th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Jim Thompson

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 07:53:36 -0800, "Richard Henry"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
BTW, Scottsdale also uses tight-ass round-abouts to slow traffic...
you have to slow or you'll rollover.

Can you give me the address of such an intersection? I'd like to look at
some on google maps for background on a local street-improvement project.

Google Earth...

Intersection of Cholla St. and 68th St., Scottsdale, AZ 85254

LAT 33.589390°

LON -111.935610°

There are quite a few of this type in Scottsdale and in Carefree/Cave
Creek, AZ.

Phoenix tends toward speed bumps, but is also looking into
round-abouts.

Scroll a few blocks SW from there to the NW corner of Desert Cove and
66th St., and you'll see the acre I lived on from 1969 to 1994.

I always referred to the Cholla/68th St. intersection as the "drunk
catcher", because there's a dip there as well... rain drain channel
;-)

...Jim Thompson

Old January 9th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design

Scott wrote:
How about a gate at the end of the road that can be opened by the users
with a garage door opener, ie a gated community of sorts. If it's a
private road, keep others off.

How about a gate that opens automatically if approached below a certain
speed, but if approached above it locks closed and will not open until
the vehicle backs up 100 feet and returns slowly.

Old January 9th 06, 05:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Richard Henry

"Mike Andrews" wrote in message
In rec.radio.amateur.homebrew Richard Henry wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
BTW, Scottsdale also uses tight-ass round-abouts to slow traffic...
you have to slow or you'll rollover.

Can you give me the address of such an intersection? I'd like to look

at
some on google maps for background on a local street-improvement

project.

Google for "chicane"; that's the generic name for tight wiggle-like
features built into roads and streets to force traffic to slow down.

Our local problem is a street that is normally lightly-travelled, but gets
congested during the morning and afternoon because of traffic to/from the
high school. The city has proposed widening the whole length (it varies
from 50-year-old twisty 2-lane to modern 6-lane boulevard over the stretch
in question) and a local group has proposed traffic circles at 4 critical
interrsections.

Old January 9th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Wes Stewart

On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 07:53:36 -0800, "Richard Henry"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...

http://trafficcalming.org/

Old January 9th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Joerg

Hello Jim,

Good idea, Joerg. Where do I get onesie-twosie IR sensors that will trigger
at 3 meters or better?

No idea but one source might be remote controls and the corresponding
receiver diode in the set or from a stereo. I bet that Radio Shack will
have something if there still is one in your area (our became a cell
phone store). You'd need a crude reflector on the other side, piece of
metal or white board.

Another source might be if someone replaces their garage door opener.
They usually come complete with the child protect barrier and most
people will throw out the old one.

Thing is, you need at least two sets. The LEDs could be running all the
time and you just have to sense the receive elements.

There is yet one more method: Two coils next to the road, each with
oscillator. On fence posts, wherever. A car will de-tune it or, if set
on the edge of the stable feedback range, would stop the oscillator
momentarily. In contrast to the IR method and the Doppler method this
can be made pretty weather proof from cheap wire.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com