Old January 11th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Mike Young

Default Doppler Radar

"Rich Grise, but drunk" wrote in message
news
Get a piece of baling wire, and tie two garbage cans together, one on
either side of the alleyway, with the wire about 18" (1/2M) off the
ground.

That should slow the little *******s down! :-

Yeah, it would. You should see what pranks like that do to motorcyclists.

Old January 11th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Rich Grise

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:30:17 +0000, Mike Young wrote:

"Rich Grise, but drunk" wrote in message
news
Get a piece of baling wire, and tie two garbage cans together, one on
either side of the alleyway, with the wire about 18" (1/2M) off the
ground.

That should slow the little *******s down! :-

Yeah, it would. You should see what pranks like that do to motorcyclists.

But, on your motorcycle, you wouldn't go racing down an alley like that.
At least I know _I_ wouldn't! I drive kinda like this guy:
http://www.abiengr.com/~sysop/images/Safe-Car.gif ;-)

Cheers!
Rich

Old January 12th 06, 07:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Mike Young

"Rich Grise" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 16:30:17 +0000, Mike Young wrote:

"Rich Grise, but drunk" wrote in message
news
Get a piece of baling wire, and tie two garbage cans together, one on
either side of the alleyway, with the wire about 18" (1/2M) off the
ground.

That should slow the little *******s down! :-

Yeah, it would. You should see what pranks like that do to motorcyclists.

But, on your motorcycle, you wouldn't go racing down an alley like that.
At least I know _I_ wouldn't! I drive kinda like this guy:
http://www.abiengr.com/~sysop/images/Safe-Car.gif ;-)

Even if I did, the prescribed penalties amount to a few dollars, not skin
grafts, limbs, and brain tissue. Fun is fun, and talk is talk. But let's not
forget that life isn't a cartoon peopled with faceless stunt doubles.

Old January 16th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Joseph2k

Bill Janssen wrote:

RST Engineering wrote:

Back in the '60s and early '70s I did some work with Impatt and Gunn
diodes,
building a little self-detecting doppler for speed sensing. However, 35
years have passed and my notebooks for that stuff are somewhere in a dusty
archive along with my venerable sliderule.

Is there a cheap source for onesies-twosies of a radar front-end that will
give me doppler audio as a function of a large metal object's speed at a
range of 20 meters or so? I don't need to go into production on this
thing,
just build one. A surplus source would be ideal.

It seems that the little kids on our rural country lane have all become
teenagers at once and are trying to outdo the others in how fast they can
drive daddy's car up and down the lane. We've lost one dog this week and
unless I can put up some sort of a siren that goes off when they exceed
some agreed upon limit, the carnage will continue.

Regards,

Jim

Yep they are available. I have about a dozen or so of Gunn units that
came from
10 GHz door opening bits They have the Gunn diode and a detector diode.
The rest of the
electronics I threw away.

Two of them can be sent for the cost of postage.

Bill K7NOM

I suggest modifying a readily available sports radar, it is very sensitive,
outputs speed digitally and is inexpensive.
--
JosephKK

Old January 16th 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Joseph2k

Rich Grise, but drunk wrote:
snip
28-628. Rights of real property owners

This chapter does not prevent the owner of real property that is used
by the public for purposes of vehicular travel by permission of the
owner and not as a matter of right from:

1. Prohibiting that use.

2. Requiring other, different or additional conditions than those
specified in this chapter.

3. Otherwise regulating the use as deemed best by the owner.

In other words, I get to regulate the speed (I've posted it as 10
MPH). I have no power to fine UPS, but I can still cost them money.

Put up a gate and charge them $1.00 in and $100.00 out. ;-)

Good Luck!
Rich

Then the next step is to post legal notice in the form a large sign.
"Private road. Right to pass under control of owner." And make sure that
you know just what ownership rights you have. If other owners attached to
the private road have equivalent ownership you could create problems for
your self. However, patterns of Bott's dots on the road also have
significant speed reducing effect and cases against them have usually lost
clearly. Also, rumble strips made by any method have been effective also.
--
JosephKK

Old January 16th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Joseph2k

RST Engineering wrote:

A) We aren't in a "town", rather we are pretty far out into the country.

B) It is a private dead-end road owned in mutual easement between the
four families that live at the end of it about half a mile off the county
road
that serves it. The county mounties have nothing to say about what goes
on on the road.

C) I realize that this is newsnet and anything goes, but why can't you
just ATFQ?

Jim

Go to your local police department and have them monitor the speeders
with a
automated speed display unit. What! they don't have one in your town?
bring it
up at the next town meeting...

Actually you can rent them for about $500/mo and set them any where you wish
on your private road. Look for roadway construction suppliers to find
them. You could probably buy one for under $10,000 and modify it with
cameras etc., to your hearts content.
--
JosephKK

Old January 16th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Joseph2k

Joerg wrote:

Hello Jim,

Good idea, Joerg. Where do I get onesie-twosie IR sensors that will
trigger at 3 meters or better?

No idea but one source might be remote controls and the corresponding
receiver diode in the set or from a stereo. I bet that Radio Shack will
have something if there still is one in your area (our became a cell
phone store). You'd need a crude reflector on the other side, piece of
metal or white board.

Another source might be if someone replaces their garage door opener.
They usually come complete with the child protect barrier and most
people will throw out the old one.

Thing is, you need at least two sets. The LEDs could be running all the
time and you just have to sense the receive elements.

There is yet one more method: Two coils next to the road, each with
oscillator. On fence posts, wherever. A car will de-tune it or, if set
on the edge of the stable feedback range, would stop the oscillator
momentarily. In contrast to the IR method and the Doppler method this
can be made pretty weather proof from cheap wire.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Actually inductive loop detectors (buried or not) require fairly good wire
to last more than a year. Plus you have to provide a roadside cabinet and
detection electronics, and power therefore. of course you can space them
carefully and detect speed that way also.
--
JosephKK

Old January 16th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Rich Grise, but drunk

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 03:00:55 +0000, Joseph2k wrote:

Rich Grise, but drunk wrote:
[...]

In Hopkins, Minnesota, the main street is kinda S-shaped - it's impossible
to speed, because you would be going over curbs. It's like, for a half a
block, the sidewalk on one side is 6 feet wide, and on the other side it's
18 feet wide, and then the roadway curves, because in the second half of
the block (except the transition), the 6' sidewalk on one side grows to
18', and the 18' side shrinks to 6', so if you're in your car, you have
to turn, or hit the curb; it's terribly difficult do do this any faster
than about 20 MPH.

But, admittedly, road-building is mind-bogglingly expensive.

Good Luck!
Rich

Old January 16th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Rich Grise, but drunk

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 03:11:21 +0000, Joseph2k wrote:

RST Engineering wrote:

[...]

There's one in Whittier you could steal. ;-P

Cheers!
Rich