Old January 22nd 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jeffrey Bauman

Default Anyone built the 6146 cw/am transmitter in the 1966 Handbook?

I'm considering building the am/cw transmitter in the 1966 handbook
(probably in others, too). It runs a single 6146 in the final.

I am curious if anyone has ever built that rig. If I build it, it will
probably be with an outboard power supply, and a single switch for input /
tank band switching.

Also curious: Anyone ever homebrewed a DX-60?

Jeff
W8KZW

Old January 22nd 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
wa2mze(spamless)

Jeffrey Bauman wrote:
I'm considering building the am/cw transmitter in the 1966 handbook
(probably in others, too). It runs a single 6146 in the final.

I am curious if anyone has ever built that rig. If I build it, it will
probably be with an outboard power supply, and a single switch for input /
tank band switching.

Also curious: Anyone ever homebrewed a DX-60?

Jeff
W8KZW

I built a similar rig, but it was weakly based on that design.
Mine had a 6GK6 oscillator and a 6146 final. It was built inside
a chassis with the tubes mounted on a subchassis inside. The tubes
were "sideways" and holes were drilled in the chassis-cabinet for
ventilation.

I am assuming the same transmitter was described in the 1967 HB (which
was the first HB I ever bought). You might as well leave out the
AM modulator since it will be useless today. Back in '66-'67 there
were still some people on AM (mostly on 80 and 10 meters), but today
it's completly gone. Low cost SSB xcvrs wiped out AM by the mid 1970's.

I was thinking of building a simple rig again but with a 1625 in the final.
I have about a dozen of these bottles in the junk box along with half as many
6AG7's. The crystals will be the scarce items these days (well expensive
anyway).

Old January 22nd 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Allodoxaphobia

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:17:47 -0500, wa2mze(spamless) wrote:

You might as well leave out the
AM modulator since it will be useless today. Back in '66-'67 there
were still some people on AM (mostly on 80 and 10 meters), but today
it's completly gone.

OH, Really!?? Snert! - Sporf! - Snurt! TNX for the laugh!

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
Old January 22nd 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
garigue

You might as well leave out the
AM modulator since it will be useless today. Back in '66-'67 there
were still some people on AM (mostly on 80 and 10 meters), but today
it's completly gone.

OH, Really!?? Snert! - Sporf! - Snurt! TNX for the laugh!

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
38.24N 104.55W | config.com | DM78rf | SK

Yepper ....just like the fellow on 2 meters said .......nobody uses CW
anymore .....its DOA . I just like to put up my feet, lean back, and open
an Iron City Beer and enjoy the quality of those AM signals ... and this
from a 99.99% CWist. My buddy built on of those rigs in 66 and it worked
fine with his Mor-Gain antenna ...even with the hardware cloth safety mesh
covering the chassis. Lots 'o fun.

God Bless and 73 all ..... KI3R Tom in Belle Vernon PA

Old January 29th 06, 12:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Ken Scharf

garigue wrote:
[...]

Well I havn't heard any AM on the HF bands in a long time, but I stand
corrected that some people still use it. Granted it's in the minority
and on "calling frequencies". I don't think those screen grid modulators
found in novice rigs were of much use though. They didn't have
much punch and poor audio. If you are going to go AM, a real plate
modulator is the only way to go. (I shudder to think what a plate
modulation transformer would cost these days....)

Old January 29th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
garigue

Well I havn't heard any AM on the HF bands in a long time, but I stand
corrected that some people still use it. Granted it's in the minority
and on "calling frequencies". I don't think those screen grid modulators
found in novice rigs were of much use though. They didn't have
much punch and poor audio. If you are going to go AM, a real plate
modulator is the only way to go. (I shudder to think what a plate
modulation transformer would cost these days....)

Have to agree there Ken as I have had a few screen jobs in the "good old
days". They weren't good for too much only to get on phone for a youngster
who didn't have the bucks for a SSB or plate modulated rig. My old Globe
Chief had the screen modulator but did not perform well at all .

God Bless ....Tom KI3R Belle Vernon PA

Old January 30th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Dan/W4NTI

"Ken Scharf" wrote in message
news
garigue wrote:
[...]

Ken,

You admit you have NO knowledge of present day ham usage of AM. And
apparently NO knowledge of old timey AM use. Properly designed, built and
used low level modulation works and sounds good.

I get glowing reports with my DX-60B, slightly modified to improve the bass
response. And a Bullet Astatic Mic.

And with the new rice boxes, if you adjust it right, you can get excellent
audio out of them.

With the FCC reduction of power for AM full carrier, plate modulated
(375watts) the big monsters are going the way of the Dinosaur.

Dan/W4NTI

Old January 22nd 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Dale Parfitt

Old January 22nd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
gb

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message

I am assuming the same transmitter was described in the 1967 HB (which
was the first HB I ever bought). You might as well leave out the
AM modulator since it will be useless today. Back in '66-'67 there
were still some people on AM (mostly on 80 and 10 meters), but today
it's completly gone. Low cost SSB xcvrs wiped out AM by the mid 1970's.

Are you serious? The only phone I listen to are the A.M. gang- wonderful
rigs from the past on 3885, 7290 etc. There's someone on all day long- and
unlike the SSB gang, these guys know theory and are active builders/
restorers- perhaps the best that amateur radio has to offer today.

Dale W4OP

I have to wait a bit later in the evening (season/band changes) and they can
be heard in Chicago area ... there is also the 160 meter gang .. and that
truly is like listening to late night AM broadcast.

w9gb

a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
Auction ends in 1 hour! 2 Watt FM Stereo Broadcast 88-108 MHz LCDDigital PLL Transmitter righteous-jude Shortwave 14 November 16th 04 09:55 PM
Auction ends in 1 hour! 2 Watt FM Stereo Broadcast 88-108 MHz LCDDigital PLL Transmitter righteous-jude Swap 1 November 15th 04 10:21 PM
Auction ends in 1 hour! 2 Watt FM Stereo Broadcast 88-108 MHz LCDDigital PLL Transmitter righteous-jude Scanner 0 November 15th 04 02:19 AM
Auction ends in 1 hour! 2 Watt FM Stereo Broadcast 88-108 MHz LCDDigital PLL Transmitter righteous-jude Homebrew 0 November 15th 04 02:17 AM