Old January 22nd 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Jeffrey Bauman

Default Anyone built the 6146 cw/am transmitter in the 1966 Handbook?

I'm considering building the am/cw transmitter in the 1966 handbook
(probably in others, too). It runs a single 6146 in the final.

I am curious if anyone has ever built that rig. If I build it, it will
probably be with an outboard power supply, and a single switch for input /
tank band switching.

Also curious: Anyone ever homebrewed a DX-60?

Jeff
W8KZW

Old January 22nd 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
wa2mze(spamless)

Jeffrey Bauman wrote:
I'm considering building the am/cw transmitter in the 1966 handbook
(probably in others, too). It runs a single 6146 in the final.

I am curious if anyone has ever built that rig. If I build it, it will
probably be with an outboard power supply, and a single switch for input /
tank band switching.

Also curious: Anyone ever homebrewed a DX-60?

Jeff
W8KZW

I built a similar rig, but it was weakly based on that design.
Mine had a 6GK6 oscillator and a 6146 final. It was built inside
a chassis with the tubes mounted on a subchassis inside. The tubes
were "sideways" and holes were drilled in the chassis-cabinet for
ventilation.

I am assuming the same transmitter was described in the 1967 HB (which
was the first HB I ever bought). You might as well leave out the
AM modulator since it will be useless today. Back in '66-'67 there
were still some people on AM (mostly on 80 and 10 meters), but today
it's completly gone. Low cost SSB xcvrs wiped out AM by the mid 1970's.

I was thinking of building a simple rig again but with a 1625 in the final.
I have about a dozen of these bottles in the junk box along with half as many
6AG7's. The crystals will be the scarce items these days (well expensive
anyway).

Old January 22nd 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Allodoxaphobia

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 15:17:47 -0500, wa2mze(spamless) wrote:

You might as well leave out the
AM modulator since it will be useless today. Back in '66-'67 there
were still some people on AM (mostly on 80 and 10 meters), but today
it's completly gone.

OH, Really!?? Snert! - Sporf! - Snurt! TNX for the laugh!

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
Old January 22nd 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Dale Parfitt

Old January 22nd 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
gb

"Dale Parfitt" wrote in message

I am assuming the same transmitter was described in the 1967 HB (which
was the first HB I ever bought). You might as well leave out the
AM modulator since it will be useless today. Back in '66-'67 there
were still some people on AM (mostly on 80 and 10 meters), but today
it's completly gone. Low cost SSB xcvrs wiped out AM by the mid 1970's.

Are you serious? The only phone I listen to are the A.M. gang- wonderful
rigs from the past on 3885, 7290 etc. There's someone on all day long- and
unlike the SSB gang, these guys know theory and are active builders/
restorers- perhaps the best that amateur radio has to offer today.

Dale W4OP

I have to wait a bit later in the evening (season/band changes) and they can
be heard in Chicago area ... there is also the 160 meter gang .. and that
truly is like listening to late night AM broadcast.

w9gb

Old January 22nd 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
garigue

You might as well leave out the
AM modulator since it will be useless today. Back in '66-'67 there
were still some people on AM (mostly on 80 and 10 meters), but today
it's completly gone.

OH, Really!?? Snert! - Sporf! - Snurt! TNX for the laugh!

Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Pueblo, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
38.24N 104.55W | config.com | DM78rf | SK

Yepper ....just like the fellow on 2 meters said .......nobody uses CW
anymore .....its DOA . I just like to put up my feet, lean back, and open
an Iron City Beer and enjoy the quality of those AM signals ... and this
from a 99.99% CWist. My buddy built on of those rigs in 66 and it worked
fine with his Mor-Gain antenna ...even with the hardware cloth safety mesh
covering the chassis. Lots 'o fun.

God Bless and 73 all ..... KI3R Tom in Belle Vernon PA

Old January 23rd 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Bill Turner

wa2mze(spamless) wrote:

Back in '66-'67 there
were still some people on AM (mostly on 80 and 10 meters), but today
it's completly gone.

You need to get out more. AM is alive and well on both 160 and 75
meters every day, and on ten meters when it's open.

Bill, W6WRT
Old January 23rd 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Tim Shoppa

Jeffrey Bauman wrote:
I'm considering building the am/cw transmitter in the 1966 handbook
(probably in others, too). It runs a single 6146 in the final.

I am curious if anyone has ever built that rig. If I build it, it will
probably be with an outboard power supply, and a single switch for input /
tank band switching.

Not that exact rig, but I've built similar 6146 transmitters. One
gotcha with the oscillator-final setup is that you may not end up with
enough drive on 21 and 28 MHz, if those bands matter to you. The Eico
720 improves on this by using a buffer/multiplier.

I like the Eico 720 design, but a weakness is lack of VR regulation
leading to chirp (especially if you multiply up.)

The handbook transmitter doesn't include a clamping tube, so if for
some reason you have no or insufficient drive you can find your final
tube dissipating too much power and melting down. But, elsewhere in
that handbook you will find several examples of clampers.

Bandswitching and plate choke resonances are easier to deal with if you
limit yourself to 2 bands or so (say 80 and 40 or 40 and 20).

Every handbook from the late 40's up through the early 70's has a CW
transmitter rig of similar spirit, earlier ones using a 1625 or 807 or
something similar.

Tim.

Old January 23rd 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Mike W

wrote:

You might as well leave out the
AM modulator since it will be useless today. Back in '66-'67 there
were still some people on AM (mostly on 80 and 10 meters), but today
it's completly gone.

Thats interesting, I wonder what mode I was using on 2m last Sunday
morning?.
It was an AM qso over a distance of about 90 miles, received an R5-S3
and gave an R5-S2. Both of us were running about 2.5w

a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
Auction ends in 1 hour! 2 Watt FM Stereo Broadcast 88-108 MHz LCDDigital PLL Transmitter righteous-jude Shortwave 14 November 16th 04 09:55 PM
Auction ends in 1 hour! 2 Watt FM Stereo Broadcast 88-108 MHz LCDDigital PLL Transmitter righteous-jude Swap 1 November 15th 04 10:21 PM
Auction ends in 1 hour! 2 Watt FM Stereo Broadcast 88-108 MHz LCDDigital PLL Transmitter righteous-jude Scanner 0 November 15th 04 02:19 AM
Auction ends in 1 hour! 2 Watt FM Stereo Broadcast 88-108 MHz LCDDigital PLL Transmitter righteous-jude Homebrew 0 November 15th 04 02:17 AM