Old January 30th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
JJ

Default OM3CPH frequency counter doesn't work?

I built the 4 line LCD version and the program LCD4CNTR.hex doesn't display
anything on my LCD.

http://www.qsl.net/om3cph/counter/summary.html

Funny thing is my circuit works with the program from this site:

http://www.hamradioindia.org/circuits/fcountlcd.php

Anybody know whats wrong with LCD4CNTR.hex?

JJ
Old January 30th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
xpyttl

While I haven't built that particular one, I have built a similar design of
Peter's with good success.

There are some possibilities ... Peter relies on timing for the LCD. If
your crystal frequency is higher than the frequency of the hex file you
downloaded, or if your LCD is a little off (common if you got the LCD from a
hobbyist source) then a blank display or a display of all black squares
would be a common result. Check to be sure that the version of the hex file
you downloaded matches your crystal frequency.

Mag's site is incredibly slow and I haven't located the source, but he at
least has the wiring to avoid being dependent on the timing. Whether he did
or not I can't tell without seeing the source. Reading the LCD to tell
whether it is ready, instead of waiting "long enough" is fairly uncommon
because different brands of LCD seem to respond a little differently, but
maybe you just got lucky.

I would try slowing down your clock a bit as a test. This will give you an
incorrect frequency readout, but it would let you know whether timing is the
problem. One thing about LCDs -- there is no such thing as too slow, so if
the only other crystal you have lying around is a lot slower, it will be
fine for the experiment. If it turns out this is the problem, simply
increase the LCD delay in Peter's source.

Old January 30th 06, 02:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
xpyttl

Oh duh!

I just looked again ... Peter and Mag wire the LCD differently. RS and
LCDEN are swapped on the two circuits, so if your circuit works with Mag's
code, of course it won't work with Peter's.

"xpyttl" wrote in message
[...]

..

Old January 30th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
JJ

Thanks for your input.

I see them wired identically and I checked a few times!
And I am using a 4MHz crystal.
Which version are you using?

My LCD is a standard 2x16 one and the Mag display is broken on 2x8 lines.

Did you compile Peter's source code yourself?

JJ

"xpyttl" wrote in
:

Old January 30th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
xpyttl

"JJ" wrote in message
Thanks for your input.

I see them wired identically and I checked a few times!

Not quite. The LCD enable and Register Select lines are swapped between the
two circuits. Look carefully -- it is confusing since the R/W line is the
same (and it is between the two). Now, all I had to go by was Mag's
schematic and Peter's source code. I didn't find either Mag's source or
Peter's schematic. But Peter's source does expect LCDEN and RS to be on the
opposite pins to Mag's schematic.

And I am using a 4MHz crystal.

I am using a 10 MHz crystal, but I modified Peter's code to accomodate that

My LCD is a standard 2x16 one and the Mag display is broken on 2x8 lines.

It's a pretty simple fix to deal with the 2x8. Most 1x16 displays are 2x8
with the two lines side by side. Mag has to add 0x40 when he gets to the
ninth character. Just drop that add and you're good to go.

Did you compile Peter's source code yourself?

Yes. Back whenever it was I first started playing I may have used his hex
file, that was a long time ago. But I can't resist the urge to play mself.

Old January 30th 06, 07:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
JJ

"xpyttl" wrote in
:
It Works!

Not quite. The LCD enable and Register Select lines are swapped
between the two circuits. Look carefully -- it is confusing since the
R/W line is the same (and it is between the two). Now, all I had to
go by was Mag's schematic and Peter's source code. I didn't find
either Mag's source or Peter's schematic. But Peter's source does
expect LCDEN and RS to be on the opposite pins to Mag's schematic.

We must be looking at different diagrams. I have f84 pin 1 connected to
LCD 6 and f84 pin 17 connected to LCD 4 on both designs.

What I did was ground LCD 5. It worked for the Mag but not Peter's
program.

My LCD is a standard 2x16 one and the Mag display is broken on 2x8
lines.

It's a pretty simple fix to deal with the 2x8. Most 1x16 displays are
2x8 with the two lines side by side. Mag has to add 0x40 when he gets
to the ninth character. Just drop that add and you're good to go.

Which line or area in LCD4CNTR.ASM can I find this extra 0x40 to remove?

Did you compile Peter's source code yourself?

Yes. Back whenever it was I first started playing I may have used his
hex file, that was a long time ago. But I can't resist the urge to
play mself.

Well I recompiled it for me and it works. I will try Peter's hex file
again to see if thats faulty.

Thanks again for the tremendous help.

JJ