Old March 22nd 06, 10:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
John Wilkinson

Default 45MHz crystal filters

Hi,
I am using a couple of 45MHz crystal filters in my first IF amp.
Has anyone any experience of using these, and give me any advice on
problems they encountered.
I think I have a problem with screening, as they require 700 Ohms
termination resisistance.

When the manufacturers spec a termination resistance, do the filters
themselves look like say 700 Ohms, or do I need to set this externally with
a resistance?

Best regards,
John.
Old March 22nd 06, 12:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Wes Stewart

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 10:29:56 +0000, John Wilkinson
wrote:

Hi,
I am using a couple of 45MHz crystal filters in my first IF amp.
Has anyone any experience of using these, and give me any advice on
problems they encountered.
I think I have a problem with screening, as they require 700 Ohms
termination resisistance.

When the manufacturers spec a termination resistance, do the filters
themselves look like say 700 Ohms, or do I need to set this externally with
a resistance?

The filters -do not- look like 700 ohm, at least not in the stopband.
Unless a filter has a dissipative loss, the only way it can attenuate
is by reflecting out-of-band signal(s). To do this, it must be highly
mismatched.

The termination impedance is what the filter needs to see to perform
as specified. You must set this either with a resistance and/or an
amplifier designed to present this impedance to the filter.

Old March 23rd 06, 09:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Saandy , 4Z5KS

Hi John:
terminations are an integral part of a filter design. there are a few
usual or widespread impedances in use. actually the impedance has a
marked effect on the filter's bandwidth, more than on shape. the
narrower the filter, the lower the impedance.
much more critical is the screening problem: the filters's cases must
be very well grounded! any leakage here goes around the filter.it's not
enough to solder to ground the relevant lead: you have to add a strap
from the case to ground.
Saandy 4Z5KS