Old April 12th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design

Default UG536B/U N-plug Instructions ?

Does anyone have the assembly instructions (file, link or just the
dimensions) for the UG536B/U Straight N type plug for RG58/U cable ?
My web searching efforts have yielded nothing (it's a bit obsolete).
I'm trying to make up a cable for 2.3 GHz so I would like to get the
dimensions right in the hope of getting a half decent match.

Steve

Old April 12th 06, 04:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
John Fields

On 12 Apr 2006 07:42:06 -0700, wrote:

Does anyone have the assembly instructions (file, link or just the
dimensions) for the UG536B/U Straight N type plug for RG58/U cable ?
My web searching efforts have yielded nothing (it's a bit obsolete).
I'm trying to make up a cable for 2.3 GHz so I would like to get the
dimensions right in the hope of getting a half decent match.

---
That part is an Amphenol P/N 34025-RFX.

Go to:

http://www.amphenolrf.com/search_2_results.asp

and click on "Assembly Instructions"

BTW, it doesn't seem to be obsolete. Click on "Distributor
Inventory" for a surprise. :-)

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer
Old April 12th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Steve Kavanagh

John:

The body of the UG536B/U looks quite different from the Amphenol
catalog picture and their drawing link is broken...how did you
cross-reference it ?

Steve

Old April 12th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
John Fields

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:46:54 -0500, John Fields
wrote:

On 12 Apr 2006 07:42:06 -0700, wrote:

Does anyone have the assembly instructions (file, link or just the
dimensions) for the UG536B/U Straight N type plug for RG58/U cable ?
My web searching efforts have yielded nothing (it's a bit obsolete).
I'm trying to make up a cable for 2.3 GHz so I would like to get the
dimensions right in the hope of getting a half decent match.

---
That part is an Amphenol P/N 34025-RFX.

Go to:

http://www.amphenolrf.com/search_2_results.asp

and click on "Assembly Instructions"

BTW, it doesn't seem to be obsolete. Click on "Distributor
Inventory" for a surprise. :-)

---
Hmmm...

It appears the RG536B/U is an Amphenol 34025, which has different
cable prep dimensions from the 34025-RFX.

Old April 12th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Steve Kavanagh

John:

Yup...now the drawing link is working for me and I found that
too...rather roundabout....and not listed in the catalog section....but
it got me there (and I spent a few minutes poking around that website
before posting too !).

Thanks,
Steve

Old April 12th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Highland Ham

Does anyone have the assembly instructions (file, link or just the
dimensions) for the UG536B/U Straight N type plug for RG58/U cable ?
My web searching efforts have yielded nothing (it's a bit obsolete).
I'm trying to make up a cable for 2.3 GHz so I would like to get the
dimensions right in the hope of getting a half decent match.

=============================
Question ; Would it be sensible to use RG58/U for 2.3 GHz sig (obviously
depending on length of that type of coax) I thought teflon type coax was
almost mandatory for that frequency.
Just curious , wishing to learn .

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH
Old April 12th 06, 09:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design

Highland Ham wrote:

Question ; Would it be sensible to use RG58/U for 2.3 GHz sig (obviously
depending on length of that type of coax) I thought teflon type coax was
almost mandatory for that frequency.

Not really, but it is what I have available at present ! Teflon vs
polyethylene isn't reallly that important with regard to frequency...it
is more a question of quality of the shield, I think. I suppose
polyethylene insulation will tend to melt while soldering connectors so
it is more likely that an impedance bump will occur due to the centre
conductor being off-centre. Non-solid insulation would have less loss
but this has to survive being passed through car-door seals.

It is probably a good thing these things have been discontinued, too.
I found it impossible to assemble without special jigging to prevent
the insulation from melting and swelling up while soldering the pin,
blocking the assembly. Teflon insulation would behave better I
suppose.

With one end kluged into shape with a hot knife and the other end
soldered with the insulation wrapped with aluminum tape, the return
loss of the cable and a good load measures around 27 dB or better
(probably beyond the accuracy limits of my test setup), so they work OK
regardless of the kluges.

Steve (VE3SMA)

Old April 12th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew,sci.electronics.design
Highland Ham

wrote:

[...]

================================
Thanks Steve for the above . Unless 50 Ohms coax is absolutely
necessary , you might wish to consider 75 Ohms coax as used for domestic
satellite receivers (between the rx and the converter,also called
LNB=Low Noise Block,located at the dish). That type of coax is double
screened with both braid + copper foil and would be superior to RG58/U
coax. It is fitted with socalled F-connectors ,without having to solder
since the solid copper core serves as centre pin. I have been able to
purchase F to N-male adaptors and by using an additional double F-female
union ,this would possibly solve your problem as well .
Sat receivers normally have an input signal between 950-2150 MHz ,with
the dish converter subtracting 10 GHz or about from the actual satellite
signal received .

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH