Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 24th 06, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Mont

Default Class C engineering question

Following is a note I received from a friend who earnestly believes that a
Class C plate modulated final requires approximately 200% (rather than 50%)
of the final power input to achieve 100% modulation. I am interested in any
theoretical arguments surrounding this.
Thanks, Mont - K0YCN
Mont,

Here are the numbers as I calculate them to achieve my goal.

Since Eimac specs are listed in terms of watts output so I will follow that
too.
My goal is to be capable of 130% positive peak modulation with 375 watts of
carrier output.

The Eimac tube manual says a single 4-400 typical operation at 3000 volts on
the plate is 630 watts high level plate modulated carrier output. So, 630
watts X 4 = 2520 watts pep capability.

So, a more conservative 375 watts X 4 X 1.30 = 1950 watts pos. peak.
Dividing that by 2 = 975 watts of peak audio output required from the
positive producing modulator tube to make 1950 pos. peak RF output.

The 4-125 typical operation indicates 330 watts of AB1 is available. This
is a far cry from 975 that I need. On the other hand a 4-400 in AB1 will
deliver 1540 watts.

The negative vs. positive peaks will be controlled by a broadcast quality
Innovonics AM asymmetrical compressor limiter which I am currently using in
the shack.

The simple unexplained rule of thumb I came to understand early in my early
ham days is that a 375 watt transmitter requires 187.5 watts of audio for
100% modulation. So, a 4-125, with 330 watts of capability, should be more
than what is needed. In practical terms this is very misleading. That is
why I been beating a dead horse for three years while two broadcast
engineers could not explain why I could barely attain near 100 modulation.
Little did I know that I was driving the pants of the poor 4-125's while
trying!

Hence, I ordered a custom built filament xfmr that will power two 4-400
modulators. Hope to have all that working in about two weeks.

73,

How many licenses should there be, why and what privileges? Bill Sohl Policy 113 January 8th 06 09:42 PM
05-235 - Any new procode test arguments? Bill Sohl Policy 254 December 31st 05 03:50 AM
New ARRL Proposal N2EY Policy 331 March 4th 04 12:02 AM
Newbie Question - Class C Amplifiers Bruce Raymond Homebrew 20 August 30th 03 05:41 AM
Newbie Question - Class C Amplifiers Bruce Raymond Homebrew 0 August 29th 03 01:51 AM