Old April 30th 06, 04:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
west

Default Coax & Rotor Bulkhead

Is there a place on the net, in a book, etc. that I can see examples &
diagrams of a coax bulkhead? Perhaps someone on this NG constructed such a
device & wouldn't mind sharing his plans.
My house sits on a slab and I would like to run about 4 or 5 coax cables,
rotor cable, AC & DC source all going from the shack to my tower. In Florida
lightning is a major concern so the bulkhead will have to have coax (gas
arrestors?) & other types of arrestors. All this, of course, should be
grounded to a copper ground rod. I would like this outside "box" nicely &
neatly dressed & labeled so it's easy to disconnect & is not an eye sore. I
searched the Ham books and many Internet sights to no avail.
Anybody? Thank you.

west, AF4GC

Old April 30th 06, 05:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Dan Richardson

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 03:47:32 GMT, "west"
wrote:

Is there a place on the net, in a book, etc. that I can see examples &
diagrams of a coax bulkhead? Perhaps someone on this NG constructed such a
device & wouldn't mind sharing his plans.
My house sits on a slab and I would like to run about 4 or 5 coax cables,
rotor cable, AC & DC source all going from the shack to my tower. In Florida
lightning is a major concern so the bulkhead will have to have coax (gas
arrestors?) & other types of arrestors. All this, of course, should be
grounded to a copper ground rod. I would like this outside "box" nicely &
neatly dressed & labeled so it's easy to disconnect & is not an eye sore. I
searched the Ham books and many Internet sights to no avail.
Anybody? Thank you.

west, AF4GC

Try this URL: http://www.polyphaser.com/ppc_TD1029.aspx

Danny, K6MHE

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one
useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three
or more is a congress. - John Adams

email: k6mheatarrldotnet
http://www.k6mhe.com/
Old May 5th 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

The Polyphaser wenbsite is the best reference site.

Be sure to install ground rods at the corners of your house and in
between and bond to your existing electrical service ground rod and
copper plumbing (if you have any). You cannot overdo the grounding and
bonding.. and that is your cheapest first line of defense.

Polyphaser has the widest selection of devices and will have the models
you need for the rotor, AC and DC circuits. You ar thinking well to
consider those circuits as well as your RF cables. I am surprised in
commercial installations to see all kinds of ancillary equipment that is
unprotected and extending wires out to the rooftop or tower.

The polyphasers coaxial prptectors are pretty much standard fare for
commercial use as they have low let-through energy due to a DC blocking
capacitor in series with the equipment side. For my station which is
VHF-Microwave, I need DC continuity for remote preamplifiers. So I
bought Huber and Suhner models from Tessco. (about $83). If you are
familiar with the model numbers, you will know they are nicer
construction than Polyphaser and you can sometimes find good buys on
E-Bay, but be careful not to buy the DC stub models which are designed
specifically for PCS and Cellular frequencies. The ones you want are a
bulkhead type with N connectors and replaceable gas cartridge for the
power level and frequency range desired. I mounted mine on a 1/8 inch
aluminum rack panel. If you do something similar you can mount as you
described in a large NEMA type box. Where are you located ? If you need
a large NEMA type box (undrilled) let me know, I bought it for similar
purposes and ended up with the bulkhead inside the shack.

Joe

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©