Old May 28th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Andrew VK3BFA

Default TS520 dismantling....

Yes, I know this is homebrew and not equipment - my theory is people
who build also reapir/modify. (Thankfully, not all radios are menu
driven YET.....)

Fixing a TS520 Kenwood for a friend - the 160m coil wont tune on
receive alignment - how the hell do you get the RF board out to service
the rotten thing? - its a mechanical nightmare!

From what I can see, (to get it out topwise) its remove front panel,

unbolt enought of the switches to enable you to swing it clear of the
bandswitch. Then remove the 2 nuts from the fron of the bandswitch,
remove the wafer, and then - nah, that wont work - still not enough
clearance to get to the boards - if you could somehow manouvre the
support shafts of the bandswitch assembly out of the way....(and I am
not even mentioning the inevitable washers/spacers/nuts/small children
that are going to fall into another time/space dimension...)

This is after dismantling all the preselector tuning chain drives etc,
and the PA tuneing and loading controls.......woooo......

Otherwise, un wirewrap every one of the coil PCB's and lift it out that
way .- from the bottom.

Anyone done it? - one of the previous owners hasnt, looks like much
stuffing around with a big soldring iron and a small crowbar in there -
not pretty....

There MUST be an easier way, or is this just a real pig of a radio....

Andrew VK3BFA.

Old May 28th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
g. beat

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
oups.com...
Yes, I know this is homebrew and not equipment - my theory is people
who build also reapir/modify. (Thankfully, not all radios are menu
driven YET.....)

Fixing a TS520 Kenwood for a friend - the 160m coil wont tune on
receive alignment - how the hell do you get the RF board out to service
the rotten thing? - its a mechanical nightmare!

From what I can see, (to get it out topwise) its remove front panel,

[...]

Do you have the Kenwood Service Manual for this radio? If not, GET ONE.

Almost all of them show with pictorials and descriptions how to take apart
radio.
Some use exploding parts diagrams.

Old May 28th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Andrew VK3BFA

g. beat wrote:

Do you have the Kenwood Service Manual for this radio? If not, GET ONE.

Almost all of them show with pictorials and descriptions how to take apart
radio.
Some use exploding parts diagrams.

I have the service manual. It doesnt show it.

Andrew VK3BFA.

Old May 29th 06, 02:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Scott

The 520 is a PEACH of a radio, however, you have discovered it's only
short-coming. I tried to do something similar with mine years ago and
gave up and accepted a weaker receive sensitivity on 15 and 10 Meters.
Wish I could be of more help. Do you have the SERVICE manual for it? I
believe I have one and will take a look and see if I can find any info
for you...

Scott
N0EDV

Old May 29th 06, 11:55 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
gwatts

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
Yes, I know this is homebrew and not equipment - my theory is people
who build also reapir/modify. (Thankfully, not all radios are menu
driven YET.....)

Fixing a TS520 Kenwood for a friend - the 160m coil wont tune on
receive alignment

Be sure you really need to get that board out, I had an 820 that had the
same symptom on 40m and the real problem was a dirty switch contact.

Also be sure to check all the solder joints and all the grounds,
especially grounds via mounting hardware, that's not a young radio you
have there.

Of course, if you've tried all that all I have to add is
Good luck!
Galen, W8LNA

Old May 31st 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
charles

take a look here, should give you idea on what you need to do.

http://www.k4eaa.com/bandswitch.html

good luck !

chuck

Old June 3rd 06, 05:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
clark

73

Old June 3rd 06, 07:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Andrew VK3BFA

clark wrote:

73

Thanks clark, have joined. Misery loves company hi hi...

Andrew VK3BFA.