Old June 21st 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Default is an STA needed to transmit data on CB channel 40?

Its just not good business. Peace works against Fear, Uncertainty and
Doubt, the prime movers of the business world. Why would you suggest
such an irrational thing?

Reg Edwards wrote:

Why not plan for Peace! It's safer!

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Follow The Money" ;-P

Old July 1st 06, 07:30 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

In article .com writes:

Thank you all for your suggestions.

This is not a hoax. But I too find the need sufficiently implausible
that I feel a little bit queasy taking R&D fees for a cause like this
at $50 per hour. The only reason that I'm not mentioning the
consulting firm is that I could stand to get paid... and any money is
better than no money. And if I'm the king's coin then I ought to make
it work.

I agree, Truck stops are a very good idea for commandeering CB's, but
you only find those in the exurbs.. Yes, other commercial radio
services could and maybe even should be drafted into this. The squad
lead could then determine the tradeoffs based on the availability of
foraged equipment.

Allison, your idea of using the dummy loads to simulate fading over
distance is OUTSTANDING. I'll do it!

Using dummy loads as a demo, I could then get the consulting firm to
ask the FCC for an STA for field tests.

For my test rigs, I'm intending to plug in a laptop sound card I/O into
the SSB mic and headphone jacks. Therefore no type acceptance needed
because no mods.

As soon as you plug in something other than the approved mike, you have
probably broken type acceptance.

My brother says ideally in the scenario, each squad leader should only
need to carry a mini-CDROM in his or her pocket. The squad lead could
then commandeer a laptop, an SSB CB radio, and then use an abandoned
automobile as an electric generator for the laptop and radio. Antenna
would be flung over a 3 story office building.

SSB CB radios are fairly rare nowdays.

The microphone connection is non-standard, and won't directly wire to
a sound card.

A wire flung over a 3 story office building won't be matched. It will
likely work poorly, or it may even fry the transmitter.

One of the reasons for this scenario is to lighten the overall squad
load and thereby increase the speed of response. That way each squad
could break into an abandoned store and then set up a first responder
posts.

A 1 to 2 pound VHF radio will give better coverage, will function as
they are going in, and will free up personnel labor for more important
tasks.

Wasting a person's time setting something like this up is more serious
than carrying a small hand-held radio.

Alan

a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
The poverty data Bush doesn't want you to see Jack Shortwave 1 August 27th 04 05:00 AM
Needed: UTC Connection Data Atlee S. Hart Boatanchors 0 July 3rd 04 06:33 PM
data scan needed James Hilins Antenna 0 January 8th 04 01:21 AM