Old June 18th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Dave Platt

Default is an STA needed to transmit data on CB channel 40?

In article .com,
wrote:

While I am more than willing to test this setup out for my brother on a
pair of CB radios, I told him I might need an STA from the FCC to
communicate data on CB channel 40. He tells me that in an emergency,
anyone can use any frequencies they want, any power, any mode. I told
him true, but that does not help me as an OEM getting fined for testing
out an emergency scenario in a nonemergency situation.

I think you're correct. Part 95, section 631 (c) and (e) and (f)
make it quite clear that data transmission over CB is a no-no.

In addition, the simple act of hooking up a data transmission circuit
to a CB radio's modulator might be considered to be enough of a
modification to void the transmitter's certification.

Applying for an STA certainly seems to be the safe thing to do. And,
if you get one yourself, the end-user agency should probably also get
one, so they can run periodic tests and drills without breaking the
rules.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old June 19th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Me

In article ,
(Dave Platt) wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

First of all: The Federal Government (ie Homeland Security, USCG, US
Army, ectg) doesn't need, or require anything from the FCC, as the FCC
has no jurasdiction over US Federal Government Radio Operatrions. It only
regulates, non-Federal Government Communications. The Office of
Telecommunications Policy, or whatever they changed the name to recently,
is the Clearing House for ALL Federal Communications Operations.

Second of all: Even if you did apply for an STA, the FCC wouldn't grant
it for 27Mhz, as that would specifically go against a Standing FCC
Regulation, and set a very bad policy statement for the future.

Last of all: AM Modulation is the worst type for trying to get error
free communications, and not likely to succeed without spending a pile
of money in the R & D Phase of the modem part of the project.

Me an ex-FCC Field Resident Agent who knows better than
to go down this kind of path.........
Old June 19th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Michael A. Terrell

Me wrote:

[...]

The US ARMY radio & TV station I worked at had FCC licenses hanging
on the walls at Ft. Greely, back in the early '70s but they were
considered "Courtesy Licenses" so the FCC knew to keep track of them
when other stations were built. They had no expiration dates, now power
limits, and no operating hours. They were marked "Until no longer
needed", and "As deemed necessary" and at that time were issued to any
long term US Government RF installation.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old June 20th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Me wrote:
In article ,
(Dave Platt) wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:

[...]

Then I guess if the consulting firm can get the necessary authority to
waive the need for an STA, I won't complain.

Second of all: Even if you did apply for an STA, the FCC wouldn't grant
it for 27Mhz,

If the FCC was trying to prove itself modern for digital commo by
trying to kill amateur HF using BPL, then with this they have a chance
to let CB'ers enter the digital age. Maybe the FCC will go for it..

as that would specifically go against a Standing FCC
Regulation, and set a very bad policy statement for the future.

In other words, an Act of Congress would be necessary?

Last of all: AM Modulation is the worst type for trying to get error
free communications, and not likely to succeed without spending a pile
of money in the R & D Phase of the modem part of the project.

Using SSB CB radios.

a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
The poverty data Bush doesn't want you to see Jack Shortwave 1 August 27th 04 05:00 AM
Needed: UTC Connection Data Atlee S. Hart Boatanchors 0 July 3rd 04 06:33 PM
data scan needed James Hilins Antenna 0 January 8th 04 01:21 AM