Old July 12th 06, 08:14 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Toroid or molded inductor in low voltage tank?

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:21:51 +0100, wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:02:48 +0100, "John Hague"
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:29:05 +0100, Roy Lewallen wrote:

Ben Jackson wrote:
. . .
Anyone have any tips for securing fine-wire toroids in
Ugly/Manhattan construction?

A dab of hot melt glue or RTV. Or a Nylon screw through the middle. Or
couple of holes in the board and a cable tie. The only thing to avoid
is laying it down flat on a solid copper plane.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Roy

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the problem with laying a toroid down
on
a solid copper plane? I thought the magnetic field was contained within
the toroid and thus minimised external effects. I have completed a
couple
of projects recently with some of the inductors like that and didn't
notice any real problem. Mind you, I guess they might have performed
better if not mounted that way )

Twofold. One is added capacitance across the windings and secondary
is the proximitry of a conductor to the small field around the wire(s)
that are not in direct contact with the toroid.

Allison

Best 73

John, G4GOY

Allison

Thanks for the info. I'll watch how I mount my toroids in future.

Best 73

John, G4GOY

Old July 12th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 18:35:26 -0700, Roy Lewallen
wrote:

John Hague wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:29:05 +0100, Roy Lewallen wrote:

Ben Jackson wrote:
. . .
Anyone have any tips for securing fine-wire toroids in
Ugly/Manhattan construction?

A dab of hot melt glue or RTV. Or a Nylon screw through the middle. Or
a couple of holes in the board and a cable tie. The only thing to
avoid is laying it down flat on a solid copper plane.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

Roy

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the problem with laying a toroid down
on a solid copper plane? I thought the magnetic field was contained
within the toroid and thus minimised external effects. I have completed
a couple of projects recently with some of the inductors like that and
didn't notice any real problem. Mind you, I guess they might have
performed better if not mounted that way )

Two potential problems. One is that the field isn't completely
contained. Leakage is greater with more sparsely wound toroids and ones
with lower permeability cores. The second is the "one turn effect" -
There's a net field equivalent to that of a single turn running
circumferentially around the core. A solid plane parallel to this would
act as a shorted turn. Both effects would act to lower the Q, and might
be the cause of some drift or microphonics if the inductor was in an
oscillator tank.

But to be honest, I've never run any experiments to see just how much of
a problem it might cause -- it's quite possible you could get away with
it in some or even most applications. I'll put it on my list of things
to do when time permits -- unless somebody else is willing to take on
the job.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

I've not tested for Q degradation but the added capacitance and chance
for movement makes VFOs far more unstable. Microphonics from
movement are part of the problem but if glue is used that goes away
and the stability of the glue with temperature is then an issue.

The single turn field while small is likely related to the number of
turns and with fewer turns I'd think even a modest distance such as
0.1" it would not be a significant factor.

Allison

Old July 12th 06, 03:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew
Xor Xor is offline

Roy Lewallen wrote:

John Hague wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:29:05 +0100, Roy Lewallen wrote:

Ben Jackson wrote:
. . .
[...]

"One turn effect" in magnetic core computer memory?
Miniature toroids single-stitched and woven with wi
http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/reach/435/coremem.htm
What's the Amidon number of these cores?

Some electric guitar tube amps used perpendicular
point-to-point wiring in 3-dimensions between
terminal strips to minimize inductive and capactive
crosstalk. They are amazing to see.

--
LIGO: World's largest SWR meter or
the world's most expensive grid dip meter?:

Old July 12th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 14:45:22 -0000, Xor wrote:

"One turn effect" in magnetic core computer memory?
Miniature toroids single-stitched and woven with wi
http://www.fortunecity.com/marina/reach/435/coremem.htm
What's the Amidon number of these cores?

Different animal. Those cores have a high remnent magnetism
and a very hard BH curve. The initial ui is far higher than common
ferrites used in RF today. Some were nickel based steels in very
thin foils wound as 50-200mil toroids. The idea is you write them
with a lot of current (for a 50mil core around 2-300ma) and read them
by "writing" them with an apposing polarity pulse, the size and
timing of the pulse returned is a 0 or 1 after amplification and
slicing. The key is you always get a pulse during read but it's about
3-5x bigger and delayed in time (25 to 300ns depending on core size,
temperature and material) _if_ the core was written in with the
opposing magnetic polarity. Typical cores such as used in DEC
pdp-8E had a memory cycle time of 1.6uS (read, modify, write) as a
read is destructive and requires a write cycle to restore the data.
That was typical speed for core memory of the day (1970).

If you want to try this for yourself (1bit memory) a nail or better a
peice of hypersil (transformer core material) with a few turns of
wire, compass and a scope will demonstrate it. The test will be to
find how much DC current will magnetize it then find out how much it
takes to reverse the magnetism (compass helps here). Then you add a
few turn sense winding and watch the pulse that results when you
magnetize it with a given polarity, repeatedly. Then reverse the
power and hit it and the resulting pulse will be later in time and
bigger.

Some electric guitar tube amps used perpendicular
point-to-point wiring in 3-dimensions between
terminal strips to minimize inductive and capactive
crosstalk. They are amazing to see.

Different animal, thats called cordwood construction and its
also for space savings and affords mechanical ruggedness.
Early aerospace systems were built that way for size. Problem
is they are impossible to maintain and heat is problematic for
larger cordwood.

Neither directly relate to the concept of an tuned toroid inductor
in proxmetry to other conductors/metal cases/ inductors.

Allison
Old July 13th 06, 12:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Well, it's less of a problem than I'd have guessed. It turns out that
I was already set up to measure inductance and Q of little toroid
coils, since I'm winding some for some filters. These are on T25-6
cores. The one I measured for the results below has 22 turns of AWG28
wire on it, essentially evenly spaced around the core, with a gap of
about 45 degrees between the wire ends. That is, the wire occupies
about 7/8 of the core. I won't claim high absolute accuracy, but the Q
measurement should be well within 10%, and the relative accuracy (from
one condition to the next) should be much better than that. In
particular, I can guarantee the direction that Q moves as I add
shielding. The first measurement is with the toroid inductor standing
vertically off a copper ground plane, with the core at the gap in the
winding about a millimeter up from the plane. The second measurement
adds a piece of copper foil tape stuck to the ground plane, and bent up
at right angles to the ground plane so it's immediately adjacent to one
side of the coil. The third measurement folds the copper foil over the
top of the toroid and down the other side, so the coil is surrounded by
copper foil. These are labelled 1, 2 and 3 below.

Inductance Q

The actual drop in inductance is almost certainly a little more than
indicated. That's because the copper foil adds capacitance, which
would lower the resonant frequency and be seen by my measurement
technique as increased apparent inductance. I could resolve that by
making a similar measurement with lower resonating capacitance, but I'm
not set up to do that right now. Of course, the lowered inductance is
because the shield reduces the volume occupied by the magnetic field,
so there is less energy stored in it for a given current. But these
measurements tell me that even for the low-mu type 6 cores, there is
quite a low external field.

Cheers,
Tom

Roy Lewallen wrote:
John Hague wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 08:29:05 +0100, Roy Lewallen wrote:

Ben Jackson wrote:
. . .
[...]

FS: Collins 32V-3 HF Transmitter NICE!!! [email protected] Boatanchors 26 February 20th 06 04:39 PM
db Question Robert11 Antenna 13 February 14th 06 05:55 AM
physical/intuitive understanding of RL/RC time constants? Alan Horowitz Antenna 21 October 15th 04 06:33 AM
Converting sig gen to solid state Bill Meara Homebrew 20 March 14th 04 05:44 PM