Old July 16th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Mains Was: Low cost SMD Oven for making SMD samples and Prototypes

Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

(But I'm a fine one to talk: my bad habit is to sniff the soldering iron
to see if it's hot :-)

At least you stopped using your tongue to test it! ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old July 16th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

(But I'm a fine one to talk: my bad habit is to sniff the soldering iron
to see if it's hot :-)

At least you stopped using your tongue to test it! ;-)

No, you've got it all wrong - you use your tongue to test if the
soldering iron is COLD.

--
73 from Ian GM3SEK 'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
http://www.ifwtech.co.uk/g3sek
Old July 17th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

(But I'm a fine one to talk: my bad habit is to sniff the soldering iron
to see if it's hot :-)

At least you stopped using your tongue to test it! ;-)

No, you've got it all wrong - you use your tongue to test if the
soldering iron is COLD.

I was in someone else's shop one day and saw something falling off
the edge of the bench in my peripheral vision, and caught a hot
soldering iron. Luckily I had my tool box with me so I grabbed some
pure silicone grease and smeared it over the burns. I lost a layer of
dead skin a few days later, but it didn't dry out enough to crack and
bleed, which would have taken a lot longer to heal.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old July 17th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

(But I'm a fine one to talk: my bad habit is to sniff the soldering iron
to see if it's hot :-)

At least you stopped using your tongue to test it! ;-)

You folks are in good company: one of my friends, down in VK-land,
shook some excess solder off the iron tip -- and then decided to wear
pants from then on.

--
About a deceased operator:
I'm still more than a bit surprised that he was able to operate
Old July 17th 06, 06:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Ian White GM3SEK wrote:

(But I'm a fine one to talk: my bad habit is to sniff the soldering iron
to see if it's hot :-)

At least you stopped using your tongue to test it! ;-)

You folks are in good company: one of my friends, down in VK-land,
shook some excess solder off the iron tip -- and then decided that if
he was going to solder things, he'd wear pants, thanks very much.