Old July 12th 06, 04:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Default Surplus Sales of Nebraska

I, like many hams, have gotten a lot of surplus stuff from Fair Radio
Sales in Ohio.

Monday, I discovered Surplus Sales of Nebraska.

Nice people! Old school customer service. The web ordering isn't
"modern". But they don't make a lot of money at this, I'm sure. So
I.T. people are probably out of the question. But your order gets
underway in about 48 hours.....

They told me the owner spends all day on the net trying to hunt down
surplus stuff he can buy. So if you have anything, I was told to take
a photo of it....and send an e-mail to him. His e-mail address is at
the bottom of every web page.

Here's the website for Surplus Sales:

http://www.surplussales.com/

73, Bill - WA8MEA

http://HamRadioFun.com

Old July 12th 06, 04:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

hi bill,

yes, they have a lot of stuff to check out at the website,
they upgraded it a year or two ago, lots of good photos.

I get my tubes from them, go to tube specials,
12by7a and 6146W JAN circa 1985 by GE.

73 gary

Old July 12th 06, 05:53 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Old July 12th 06, 07:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Bill Turner wrote:
Bull. SS of N is one place I will never buy from again. They do not
remove out-of-stock items from their website when sold out, but they
continue to take orders for them. In a couple of days, they notify you
the item is no longer in stock, thereby wasting your time you could
have spent looking elsewhere. This has happened to me several times.

Actual phone conversation:

Me: Can you check stock on part number xxxx?
Them: No.

No explanation, no "sorry", nothing but "no". These are not my kind of
people.

A lot of old-line surplus businesses do not fare well with the
expectations of the modern order-it-today-get-it-tomorrow-morning
world.

Some other businesses (e.g. Digikey, which was not always a big
business, think back to their QST ads 30+ years ago where their only
product was - gasp! - a digital keyer) have made the transition
remarkably well and are in fact the benchmark of a modern catalog parts
house.

I think it is still valuable to have the "not really sorry" surplus
places remain in business though. I've dealt with them long enough that
even when I don't get a "sorry" I think I understand where they're
coming from - and in many cases I also know who to ask for who knows
the real story. The part-time help at the order desk is unfortunately
not as good a resource as the guy who's been running the business for
30 or 40 or 50 years.

Tim.

Old July 12th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote in message
oups.com...
They told me the owner spends all day on the net trying to hunt down
surplus stuff he can buy.

I've always been curious... places like All Electronics and MPJA and Hosfelt
and ... that one near Dayton ... where did they find all their surplus
*before* the Internet? There must have been publications or something that
dealt with getting rid of surplus electronics?

Old July 12th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

Joel Kolstad wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
They told me the owner spends all day on the net trying to hunt down
surplus stuff he can buy.

I've always been curious... places like All Electronics and MPJA and Hosfelt
and ... that one near Dayton ... where did they find all their surplus
*before* the Internet? There must have been publications or something that
dealt with getting rid of surplus electronics?

They were on auctioneer's mailing lists, as well as the US government
surplus sale mailing lists. JIT manufacturing and lots of custom parts
has reduced the available surplus quite a bit. I watch Mendelson's (in
Dayton) change over the years from mostly military into industrial
surplus, and the way they treated customers changed as well when the
founders died off an their kids took over.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old July 14th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

I agree, I would only shop there if I had surplus dollars and surplus
time. I don't have either. Their stuff is extremely expensive and
there is always an alternative if you look hard enough. Mike K8MB
Apache Junction, AZ

Old July 14th 06, 12:35 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.homebrew

wrote in message
oups.com...
I, like many hams, have gotten a lot of surplus stuff from Fair Radio
Sales in Ohio.

Monday, I discovered Surplus Sales of Nebraska.

I purchase polystyrene caps from them.

Speaking of Fair Radio Sales -- I bought a BC-348 from them in 1996 --