Old November 14th 08, 11:59 PM posted to aus.radio.amateur.misc,rec.radio.info

Default WIANEWS for week commencing Nov 16 2008

attached
SB WIANEWS @ WW $QNEWS081116
WIANEWS - Nov 16 - VK NATIONAL NEWS

ALWAYS ENSURE ORIGINAL BID # AND TITLE ARE USED.
Packet uploads with thanks to vk7ax Tony

THE BEST NEWS YOU'LL GET ALL WEEK

Oh... and to contact us with your news because
If It Matters To You It Matters To Us!

email

Please.. write your story as you would expect to hear it being read back
do NOT send us links and url's!!

This is WIANEWS for week commencing Nov 16 2008

YOUR WIA HAS MOVED.

From Tomorrow, MONDAY 17th November2008 the new office location will be;

UNIT 20
11-13 HAVELOCK ROAD
BAYSWATER
VIC 3153

Postal address is
PO BOX 2042 BAYSWATER VIC 3153

Phone (03) 9729 0400 Fax (03) 9729 7325

All email addresses remain the same.

(Ted Thrift VK2ARA WIA Clubs Co-ordinator)

DONATAE TO KEN FULLER!

During the Blue Mountains Club Radio Net on 3.543 Tuesday, Ted Popham VK2EZQ
came up from Vanuatu. Ted and his partner Sue regularly sail in their yacht
to that part of the world and for several years have been assisting the people
on Aneityum Island in the far south of Vanuatu at about
20deg14min south 169deg40E.

Aneityum Island has giant Kauri trees, over 80 species of orchid, and a lagoon
for snorkelling and windsurfing, - a veritable tropical paradise..

Like most Islands it has communication difficulties and HF radio is an
important element of keeping the community operating.

The about 1250 people on the Island have a low level of financial resources
and the infrastructure is very underdeveloped by our standards, There is no
Electricity system

The Medical Clinic radio has failed and it is uncertain when it can be
repaired.
Ted has asked if a suitable replacement radio could be obtained through the
good offices of the amateur community. The Clinic has been established since
1948 and has a nurse practitioner only. There is a doctor and hospital at
Tanna island which is about 45 Nautical Miles away highlighting one of the
major problems in Vanuatu i.e. transportation and communication among over
80 inhabited islands.

The HF radio is used to talk to the other health professionals on Tanna island.
There is a telephone on Aneityum but the closest one is 10 minutes walk away
from the clinic and costs about 40 cents Australian per minute to talk.
In
addition the telephone is very unreliable and over the past 3 years it has
failed for 2 or 3 months in any one year.

The current HF radio is a Codan 8525 of 25 years old which has failed.

Frequencies used are 3Meg, 5Meg, 6Meg and 8Meg. A suitable radio would be a
wide band 12V mobile rig of 50 Watts at least.

This would fill the gap with expert guidance from vk2ezq until the Codan can
be replaced or repaired via the official [but very slow channels].

Ken Fuller VK4KF has undertaken to search for a suitable radio and make
arrangements for it to be sent to the Island. Any help with finding a suitable
radio would be appreciated. Ken can be contacted using

or via his QTH as per the call book

Oh and as an aside.

Do you USE a Codan transceiver?

A user's net is being planned for the 40-metre band and organiser Wayne
Pickard VK2ACY is currently gauging interest.

Codan users wanting to know Email:

LEST WE FORGET

Observed Tuesday, was Remembrance Day

In the United States of America their last-Living World War I Veteran
was saluted Over a Ham Radio Broadcast, VK5MM has this story.

Yes Graham the message was broadcast around the world Tuesday in honour of
veterans everywhere, and its signal came from the USA Charles Town farm
of Frank Buckles, America's last living World War I veteran.

Frank was 17 when the Armistice was signed in France and ended the war to end
all wars. Now at 107 he's the sole representative of the almost five million
Americans who served in the Great War.

"I knew that I would be among the last, but I didn't know that I would be the
VERY last," Frank said.

To honour Buckles and veterans around the World, the Eastern Panhandle Amateur
Radio Club set up a special event station on Franks farm.

The FCC designated specific call letters for the special event so the ham
radio operators in Charles Town sent out their signal under WW1 FWB, which
stands for "World War I, Frank W. Buckles."

Frank said during the observation "It's very important that World War I be
represented, and I feel very honoured that I'm the one who takes that place."
He then attended a wreath-laying ceremony at Arlington National Cemetery
in Washington, D.C.

WHEN DOES 121.5 EQUAL 406?

Last week, thanks to S.A.R.C. we reminded those of you who have an old EPIRB
the old 121.5 MHz types that from February 1, 2009, alerts from these beacons
will no longer be received by the Cosaps-Sarsat satellite system.

But as they say in the classics, wait there's more!

According to Boa****ch dot net, Australian residents owning a new 406MHz EPIRB
must register their EPIRB with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA).
They have the details and relevant forms on their website.

EPIRBs (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons) are compulsory safety
equipment in all states when outside sheltered waters, though the actual
requirements vary from state to state. The 121.5 MHz EPIRB was, until recent
years, significantly cheaper than the more sophisticated 406 MHz type so
naturally was the most popular.

So we guess a lot of people will need to upgrade, and more importantly
register so that the 406 is coded with your name, boat and contact details.

Also Mike VK2BMM in an email pointed out to us that All 406 Beacons also
transmit on 121.5 and he says aircraft would still have 121.5 capability.

However that item last week which was originally sourced to Maritimes, the
newsletter of NSW Maritime, by sarc clearly states that " Boaters are reminded
that from 1 February 2009, the 121.5 MHz distress beacon (or EPIRB) signal
will no longer be detected by aircraft or satellite".
It also went on to say " Unwanted beacons can now be disposed of at no cost by
placing them in collection bins in any of the Battery World stores around
Australia."

HAROLD HOLT TO BLAME?

Australia's aviation safety watchdog is investigating whether interference from
a defence communications base caused a Qantas flight to suddenly plunge,
injuring 44 passengers and crew. This the incident which occurred last month
as a Qantas Airbus A330 flew off the West Australian coast en route from
Singapore to Perth.

The incedent injured Forty-four of the 313 pob.

The agedotcom says a preliminary report into the incident, released on Friday
by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, said there was a possibility that
transmissions from the Harold E Holt naval communications station interfered
with aircraft onboard systems.

The ATSB is also investigating the possibility that passenger electronic devices
aboard the aircraft caused the problem.

ATSB regards both as unlikely but it cannot rule either out at this stage.

Digital TV to free up VK ham bands

Australia's switch over to digital-only television has a silver lining
for users of the amateur 6-metre and 2-metre bands.

Analogue TV services on Channel Zero will close by 2012 and 14 on channel 5A
are to go before 2013.

Channel Zero TV transmitters on 45-52MHz mean geographic and power restrictions
for 6-metres in the Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Victoria and
Tasmania.

Channel 5A was introduced in 1962 to add an extra channel for Australia.

Apart from Channel 5A transmitters penetrating the lower end of the 2-metre
band, that spectrum has long been internationally allocated for defence and
weather satellites.

With the closure of Channel "Oh", the Wireless Institute of Australia back in
2000 formally sought that 50 to 52MHz be returned as an exclusive Amateur
Service 6-metre band.

That was in response to speculation that in future, 'vacant' Channel O spectrum
could be re-assigned to narrowcasting or other services.

Meantime United States hams are ready to celebrate closure of US Channel 2
stations that will give them a much lower noise floor level for 6-metre
operations.

(Jim Linton VK3PC)

HAMS ACROSS AUSTRALIA.

VK2
web service:-
http://www.arnsw.org.au/html/news_vk2wi.htm
VKG Roundup http://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news

SILENT KEY - TERRY ALLEN VK2XUZ.

It is with deep regret that we must advise of the passing of Terry Allen,
VK2XUZ, aged 76, who passed away on Thursday 6 November in Lismore.

Terry was a long time member of SARC.

His funeral was held at a very special time, 11am Lismore Crematorium
on Tuesday 11 November.

Last weekend saw Westlake's Major Field Day for 2008.
What started out a very overcast and wet morning turned out to be a
magnificent day allowing what can only be described as being among the
best Field Days the club has presented.

Thanks must go to the scores of Amateurs and friends who helped make the day a
success by their presence.

Be advised that the clubs Christmas get together will be at the club grounds
Saturday 13th December.

The Hornsby and Districts Amateur Radio Club news now and I am joined by both
Daralyn and Julian Sortland, VK2YJS.

The next HADARC Foundation Licence course and assessment will be on the weekend
of 29 and 30 November in Baulkham Hills. The easiest way to contact the club
is via the form on the HADARC website.

Mark Saturday, 6 December in your diary, as it will be the HADARC pre-Christmas
event. This will be a BYO everything BBQ lunch at The Lakes, a park in
Cherrybrook.

www.hadarc.org.au/

VK4
web service local news:- www.wiaq.com/qnews/upload/qnewsbcast.htm
local news email
VKR Roundup
http://www.police.qld.gov.au/News+an...edia+Releases/

The Queensland Digital Group is holding a special "back to QDG" meeting
Friday next, November 21.

Past members of the old QDG Inc are invited to share supper with the 33
current members of this progressive radio and electronics club.

Wavell Heights State School, Minore Street 7:30 pm Oh, and bring a plate to
share.

New members are also very welcome, especially if bearing food.

(Alan VK4YAR)

EDUCATION YOUTH AND ADVANCEMENT OF AMATEUR RADIO

A lot to learn for new radio amateurs

Jim Linton VK3PC ...

Two long time amateur radio friends were chatting at the recent Ballarat
Hamvention and one of them revealed he had just worked 300 on 80-metres.

Standing nearby were two young new hams and one expressed confidence that
he too could work 300 on that band.

Their facial expressions quickly turned to one of jaw dropping astonishment
when it was explained to them that it was 300 DX countries and not 300 QSOs.

David McAulay VK3EW explained how he just worked Michael Kongstedt OX3MC
in Greenland on 80-metres via greyline propagation, a difficult task due
to the auroral zone of the north pole.

David VK3EW got into DX as a young ham himself, gaining the DXCC in late 1981
and in more recent times receiving the first WIA 9 Band DXCC - that is
100 countries on all of 9 bands.

Getting the last 50 countries on 80-metres has been a most challenging
experience particularly from south-eastern Australia, where propagation can
be more problematic at times.

So the two young new hams were keen to know if David VK3EW had any other
challenges left, and he told them he's now chasing 160 countries and
160-metres, with 20 to go it may take a few more years yet.

What influence that conversation will have on the future directions of those
two new hams, only time will tell, but it once again highlights the enormous
value of mentoring within the amateur radio community.

WELCOME TO THE MIDWAY POINT OF THIS WIA NATIONAL NEWS SERVICE
I'm VK5MM Rob.

Remember ALL news in this WIA bulletin has been provided by the active
ham radio operators of the world, and are broadcast in the spirit in which
they were submitted, the items may not ALWAYS reflect the views of the
WIA nor of our team of volunteer rebroadcasters.

Now to the international news...

A radio traffic jam

A problem of radio interference disabling car remote control keys has
resulted in the Automobile Association AA in the United Kingdom being
called out by 5000 drivers in the past year.

AA reports it's a common problem and in extreme cases disabled vehicles
have had to be towed a distance before their remote control keying can work.

The remote keyless controls use a frequency around 433.92MHz but so do
other short range devices and it's also within the shared amateur
70-centimetre band.

Fingers are being pointed at car manufacturers to either greatly improve
the receiver selectivity of their remote keying systems or use another
available frequency band.

CROZET TO BE ON IN LATE 2009

The 9th most sought after DXCC entity will be activated in 2009
by F4DYW. This as he announces that he will take to the airwaves from
Crozet Island between December 1st and November 30th of next year.

Crozet is listed in the top 10 most wanted contacts in the DX Magazine's'
listing. F4DYW says that he will use the callsign FT5WO while on Crozet
and his activity will be SSB only on 40, 20 and15 meters using 100 watts
into dipoles. QSL will go to his home callsign, either direct or by the
bureau. Watch for updates at
http://f4dyw.free.fr/index.php?langu...ntenu=home.php

(arnewsline)

WEIRD N WONDERFUL

OHIO HAMS DISCOVER AND FIX "DITTERS" ON 40 METERS A STORY OF
THE CATS WHISKER!

Silent since the summer of 2000, "ditters" have been heard once again
on 40 meters by hams in North Carolina.

According to ARRL Field and Regulatory Correspondent Chuck Skolaut,
K0BOG, hams in that state contacted him on October 22 complaining of
hearing a continuous string of "dits" on 7.0574 MHz. "We
informed the FCC HFDFing station of the situation and asked if they
could locate the approximate area of the 'dits' so we could get this
resolved as soon as possible," Skolaut said. "They responded promptly and
said it was coming from Westerville, a town just north of Columbus, Ohio."

A DF team then made their way over to the housing development and found
that signal peaked.

Yes a ham lived on the street, no one home! But a check of the backyard
saw a 4-band trapped vertical antenna.

The ham owner was contacted at work and he told the DF team how to enter
his house, where they found the transmitter IN UNATTENDED OPERATION,
(ALMOST) so they turned it off.

Now I said ALMOST unattended, a large cat was lounging near the transmitter
and it's assumed the cat could have leaned up against the keyer paddle and
started the transmitter.

No other explanation could be possible without the owner hearing the transmit
relay clicking."

The ARRL Great Lakes Division are saying "This we believe was as fine an
example of symbiotic relationship between member-staff-FCC-staff-field
organization as one might find. Extremely well done by all hands."

There with we end the reading of "The Cats Whisker/ er Tail" for this morning.

OPERATIONAL NEWS -

ON AIR CONTEST AND EVENT COLUMN - D A T E L I N E

2008

November 15-16 (Weekend) Spring VHF/UHF Field Day

November 15 MANGOLIA Hamradio-50th Anniversary DX Contest: 0000Z-2400Z

Mode: CW, SSB
Bands: 160, 80, 40, 20, 15, 10m
Classes: Single Op All Band (CW/SSB)
Single Op Single Band (CW/SSB)
Multi-Single (CW/SSB)
SWL (CW/SSB)
Exchange: JT: RS(T) + "50"
non-JT: RS(T) + QSO number
QSO Points: 1 point per QSO with same country
2 points per QSO with different country, same continent
3 points per QSO with different continent
4 points per QSO with JT station
Multipliers: Each DXCC country (excluding JT) once per band
Each JT station once per band
Score Calculation: Total score = total QSO points x total mults
Submit logs by: January 1, 2009

E-mail logs to:

Mail logs to: JT DX Contest
Mongolian Amateur Radio Society
P.O. Box 830
Ulaanbaatar-24
Mongolia

November 29-30 WW CQ WW CW contest 0000Z, Sat until 0000Z Sun.

2009

FEB 28 - Mar 1 JOCK WHITE MEMORIAL FIELD DAY CONTEST 0200 UTC til 1100 UTC 21ST
1700 UTC til 0200 UTC 22ND

Rules:- Please refer NZART Website -
www.nzart.org.nz/contests/

Jock White Field Day February 28 and 1st March 2009
Please note the change of date for 2009, the reasons for this are
that it would have clashed with an ARRL international CW contest the 21/22.

After careful consideration NZART have decided to shift Field Day back
one week to the following weekend 28th and 1st March.

If Field Day was on the same weekend there would be many DX stations ready to
pounce on ZLs calling CQ. The bulk of these DX stations will be outside of
VK and the South Pacific and are not eligible for scoring for Field Day.
As many Field Day CW operators are only occasional contesters, trying to
'fend off' these stations could be a major inconvenience.

CONTEST STORIES

Thank you and good morning all this Peter Harding VK4OD with some early
information on RD2009.

One of my roles as the RD Contest Manager is to increase the interest and
furthering more activity in the RD, also getting some of this equipment out
of moth balls.

Recently I received a message asking if we would consider a section within
the RD for owners & users of Transceivers (Boat Anchors) that were manufactured
and used during the World War Two period.

After several feelers were put out, there appears to be sufficient interest to
warrant a sub-section as WW2 equipment, however this section must have some
provisos'.

And as such those that are interested in using their equipment in this category
should send me a email so once the details are finalised I can forward these
requirements, we have 9 months before the next RD so I am confident we can get
any hurdles before then.

I have contacted the software writers and they appear to be able to adjust
some of their code to suit a WW2 section.

I will have more details in future broadcast if your interested in
participation please email me at

Until next we meet this Peter VK4OD.

Results of the 2008 Jack Files Memorial Contest.

A much improved response was shown this year to the contest. Changes continue
to be made to try and encourage more people to participate and to bring the
contest to more of a national level and not just a VK4 based contest.

Special mention must be made of the Amateurs who went mobile and activated
several different shires. It is pleasing to see operators seriously contesting
but still taking the time to enjoy the contacts and make the new operators
to contesting feel comfortable.

Overall Winner was VK2HVPaul Hanna with 14280 points

State winners

VK2 SSB S/O VK2HV Paul Hanna 3234 points

VK3 SSB S/O VK3HJ Luke Steele 12804 points

VK4 SSB S/O VK4CYA Wayne Durston 9593 points
VK4 ALL MODE S/O VK4CAG Graeme Dowse 4200 points
VK4 CLUB STATION VK4BAR B.D.A.R.S. 8976 points

VK5 SSB S/O VK5LSB Simon Brandenburg 7301 Points
VK5 CW S/O VK5BUG David Wescombe-Down 48 points

VK7 SSB S/O VK7ZE Laurie Davison 8736 points

VK8 SSB S/O VK8AV Alan Viegas 768 points

Congratulations to the winners and a big thank you to all who participated
and submitted logs for the 2008 contest. Certificates will be sent to the
winners promptly.

There were a lot of stations who did not submit a log for 2008.
There were a lot of close finishes so to all who sent in logs please try again
this year and maybe you will be rewarded for your efforts.

The logging software by VK3AAV is a great freeware product and I would
encourage all to use this product in the future. Also extra congratulations
to the Foundation Licence operators who participated.

A date for the 2009 Jack Files Memorial Contest will be confirmed very shortly.

73 John Spooner Contest Manager
VK4AJS Email -

SPECIAL EVENTS, BEACON DX AND NET ADVICE
hf nets ON the net,
www.timroberts-vk4yeh.id.au/

9M1CS* 18 Scouting stations (* Apart from 9M1CSS in 9M6 all
others are 9M2 stations.
QSL via 9m2 bureau) Until Dec 31

C 4 EURO E-Day, 1st of January currency changes to Euro. Until Dec 31

PY 100 JA Centenary of first Japanese immigration to Brazil. Until Dec 31

VI 90 BV Waverley Amateur Radio Society 90th Birthday JAN 1-DEC 31 2009

Database Of zl Nets

Steven Muvay ZL2DAT is prepared to make up a list of amateur radio nets, for
the interest and information of amateur radio operators in general.
The list will be on the NZART website and available to all. If you would like
your ZL net to be part of this list please e-mail Steven on

Maybe both Steven and Tim Roberts our own VK4YEH could work on an ANZAR
combined listing?
The VK4YEH list of Aussie nets is still the most comprehensive
listing we've seen to date, found on the web at
www.timroberts-vk4yeh.id.au/

new DX Summit website debuted on May 23, 2008.

The site has been redeveloped from the ground up and uses the latest technology
available. The new DX Summit has been ramping up steadily and today the number
of hits is approaching 1 million a day.

In addition to providing the same functionality as the old DX Summit, the new
platform offers the necessary flexibility to easily add new features which are
currently on the drawing board.

The old DX Summit homepage redirects users to the new DX Summit website.
However, all the old DX Summit data pages are still online but the trend for
daily hits has decreased, as we expected. The number still remains high but the
time has come to shut down the old DX Summit machine which may cause your
software to stop working.

To try and maintain compatibility with older software which may no longer be
supported, the new DX Summit includes a series of DX spot webpages which are
100% HTML compatible with the same pages on the old DX Summit.

Simply changing the URLs in your software according to the information below
should keep it working with the new DX Summit. If your software does not allow
you to edit the URLs, please contact the author of your software and ask them
to change the URLs according to the information below.

URLs to change:

Latest 25 DX spots page
New URL: http://www.dxsummit.fi/text/dx25.html

Latest 1000 DX spots page
New URL: http://www.dxsummit.fi/text/ dx1000.html

Latest 10000 DX spots page
New URL: http://www.dxsummit.fi/text/dx10000.html

Software authors who wish to implement data exchange with the new DX Summit
should visit http://www.dxsummit .fi/technical. aspx for information on data
formats and URLs.

If your software does not work with the new DX Summit, we encourage you to
forward this information to the author of the software you are using. We hope
all software relying on the DX Summit can be successfully updated to work with
the new DX Summit.

We look forward to providing you with this valuable DX resource for many years
to come!

73, OH8X Team

MEDIA WATCH

Don't forget if you are still not a WIA member, you can pick up your copy
of our Amateur Radio Magazine for November which is waiting for you at
the newsagents.

Get your copy now, before they are all gone.

Only one more issue before Christmas.

And a reminder about the 2009 Callbook. It comes out this month, with
right-up-to-date call listings and all kinds of other useful information
for the radio amateur.

(Tom Potter VK3UBS)

Fiddlin Phil on TV - Again !

Once he was on Show and Tell on the Andrew Denton Show,
now he is behind some fancy Fiddling on the new
childrens show Kingdom of Paramithi produced by the Wiggles.

Yes, Fiddlin Phil aka TARCadian Phil Rooke VK2JOK is certainly
getting about in the media and turning up where you least expect him !

If you tune into the Kingdom of Paramithi on Nine Network / WIN TV
at 3-30pm each weekday afternoon and hear some serious fiddle playing
in the music soundtrack then it is very likely that Phil VK2JOK is
the bloke behind the fiddle. He even gets to do a bit of
orthodontic rhythm with the old teeth and credit card routine.

Check out more about what Phil has been up to lately on website
www.fiddlinphil.com

(tarc)

WW SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS --- FINAL FRONTIER

AMSAT-VK UNOFFICIAL HF Net.
2nd Sunday each month.
November through March 0900 UTC 7.068 MHz
April through October 1000 UTC 3.685 MHz

the evening of the 10th of November 2008, the students of Anderson's Creek
Primary School in Warrandyte VIC, learned more about life in space when they
spoke to Mike Fincke on the International Space Station via amateur radio.
The Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) program had
arranged the contact to be made through telebridge station VK5ZAI in Kingston
South Australia.

During the 10 minute contact a total of 20 questions were asked, one
youngster asked "Have you been hit by a meteor and what happens if
you are .." Mike replied "There are two types, big ones and small
ones, if there's a big one coming we move the space station out of
the way and if it's a small one we have special protection, armour
shielding that protects us from the meteors".

Responding to another question, Mike told the youngsters that there
are currently three people onboard the ISS two Americans and one
Russian and that they all get along very well.

The evening concluded with each participating student being presented
with a framed certificate in recognition of their part in the contact.
The certificates were presented by WIA President Michael Owen VK3KI.

ARISS is an international educational outreach, with US participation by
ARRL, AMSAT and NASA.

The WIA and EMDRC would like to express their sincere appreciation
and recognise the dedication of Andrea Leeder (teacher)
and Des McKenzie (principal) that enabled the evenings contact
to be such an overwhelming success

Shuttle Launch STS-126

This mission has four amateur radio operators onboard.

Mission Specialist Donald Pettit, KD5MDT, along with
Heidemarie Stefanyshyn-Piper, KD5TVR, Shane Kimbrough, KE5HOD and
Sandra Magnus, KE5FYE.

KE5FYE will replace space station crew member Greg Chamitoff, KD5PKZ,
who has been aboard the station for more than five months.

(irts)

WW SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS --- RESCUE RADIO

EMERGENCY FREQUENCIES ALL REGIONS
21.360 - 18.160 - 14.300 - 7.060 - 3.760 MHz.
REGION 2 TRY ALSO 3.985 - 7.240 - 7.290

Radio Amateurs of Canada Field Services Announce HF Emcomm Frequencies

As the result of extensive research, a list of designated Canadian
HF Emergency Communications frequencies has been created.

Radio Amateurs of Canada National Emergency Coordinator Ken
Oelke VE6AFO, National Traffic System Coordinator Hew Lines
VA7HU, National Amateur Radio Emergency Database Manager Drew
Watson VA7DR and Special Advisor Pierre Mainville VA3PM, worked
in consultation with RAC Section Managers to compile the list.

Frequencies and modes of operation have been pre-determined for use
of the Amateur Radio Emergency Service (ARES) during an emergency
or disaster occurring anywhere in Canada.

The list may be viewed online at www.rac.ca/fieldorg/racaresfreqs.htm

The RAC Field Services Organization reminds all operators that
no Amateur Radio station or group has exclusive ownership of
any frequency, although common sense and courtesy dictates that
other stations would keep clear of frequencies being used for communications
related to emergency or disaster operations anywhere in the world.

(Bob Cooke VE3BDB RAC Vice President for Field Services).

SOCIAL SCENE

Dec 6 VK7
VK7 HAMFEST - Central Highlands of Tasmania at Miena - starts 10am.
http://www.qsl.net/charct/

2009

International Telecommunication Union's Telecom World 2009.

JANUARY 18 2009 VK2
Mid North Coast Amateur Radio Group's Radio Expo St Johns Church Hall,
Maclean Street Coffs Harbour 8.30am

Feb 8 2009 VK2
WYONG FIELD DAY

June 5 - 8 2009 VK4
FNNQARG at Cardwell Village Beachcomber Resort book on 1800 005633
Contact FNNQARG co-ordinator Gavin VK4ZZ for site booking guidance.

OCT 12 - 16 2009 ZL
14th IARU R3 Conference Christchurch 12 ? 16 October 2009.
Details at www.christchurch.org.nz/
The Region 3 Web Site: www.jarl.or.jp/iaru-r3/

REWIND - A LOOK BACK IN HISTORY
(Will McGhie VK6UU is WIA National Historian)

Jo Taylor K1JT a name synonymous with WSJT FSK441 software as an even more
impressive "claim to fame". NAMELY THAT OF NOBEL LAUREATE.

But back to the software.

FSK441 software is designed for high speed meteor scatter communication using
the brief "pings" of signals reflected from the ionized trails of meteors about
100 km above the earth's surface.

By using these brief pings, Jo Taylor's FSK441 facilitates QSOs in the range
800 to 2 200 km in the amateur 2-metre and other VHF and UHF bands.

Yes this WSJT FSK441 meteor communication software was developed by K1JT, a
1993 Nobel Laureate in Physics for the discovery of a new type of pulsar, a
discovery that has opened up new possibilities for the study of gravitation.

Jo's interest in amateur radio goes back to his teenage years. In an
autobiography published at the time of receiving the Nobel prize, he wrote
"Among my fondest boyhood memories are collecting stone arrowheads left on that
land by its much-earlier inhabitants, and erecting, together with my brother
Hal, numerous large, rotating, ham-radio antennas, high above the roof of the
three-story Victorian farmhouse.

With one such project, we managed to shear off the brick chimney, flush with
the roof, much to the consternation of our parents. That incident was one of
many practical lessons of my youth, not all absorbed in the timeliest fashion,
involving ill-advised shortcuts toward some goal."

(from sarl)

Please think of the environment before printing this email

================================================== ==========================WIANews - we've reported...YOU decide.

Societies and Club News Letter Editors can EXCHANGE a feed prior to
the actual broadcast date, e-mail

Call-backs follow the RF editions, but also for text readers you may
lodge a quick reply to let us know you read it, who knows, you might
even get a "cheerio call".

Thanks to to our dedicated band of broadcast volunteers who utilize
their time and equipment in bringing you this weekly broadcast.

The purpose of "WIANews" is to rapidly provide news of interest to
active amateurs residing in Australia and the globe.

We strongly encourage membership in the Wireless Institute of Australia
and participation in the activities of local clubs.

Opinions expressed in "WIANews" are those of the writers who submit
material and do not necessarily reflect those of the rebroadcasters,
nor the National WIA, but are broadcast in the spirit in which they were
submitted.

Material may be reproduced in whole or in part, in any form, a credit to
WIANews wouldn't go astray...

Compiled by VK4BB on behalf of the National WIA.

- NEWS POSTING TO PACKET -
Courtesy Tony VK7AX VK7AX(AT)VK7AX.#ULV.TAS.AUS.OC

/ex

SB QNEWS @ WW $QNEWS081116
QNEWS - Nov 16 - VK4 ON AIR
DID YOU TELL ANYONE ABOUT AMATEUR RADIO THIS WEEK?

THE FOLLOWING NEWS CAN BE HEARD IN QNEWS.MP3
FROM OUR AUDIO SERVICES
QNEWS -- ALL OF THE NEWS ALL OF THE TIME at
www.wia.org.au/vk4
QNEWS available in Audio after 0001Hrs UTC Saturday.

A blank email with word unsubscribe in subject field
Send as
MUST BE SENT FROM SAME ADDRESS AS U WISH TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM

A blank email with word subscribe in subject field
Send as

MUST BE SENT FROM SAME ADDRESS AS U WISH TO SUBSCRIBE TO

PO Box 199 Wavell Heights, Qld 4012

Contact QAC by HF Radio 3.605 Mondays 7:30pm after QNEWS
QAC
OVERSEES HAM RADIO MATTERS IN VK4
QNEWS newsroom
USE TO SEND US YOUR NEWS STORIES!!
QTAC
HANDLES TECHNICAL QUERIES
QTC
AR MAGAZINE COLUMN

QAC office officers :-

VK4AHW Harvey Wickes
VK4AQ Ross Anderson
VK4BY Don Wilschefski
VK4UH Kevin Johnstone

====================

THE NATIONAL WIA HAS MOVED

From Tomorrow, MONDAY 17th November 2008 the new office location will be;

UNIT 20
11-13 HAVELOCK ROAD
BAYSWATER
VIC 3153

Postal address is
PO BOX 2042 BAYSWATER VIC 3153

Phone (03) 9729 0400 Fax (03) 9729 7325

All email addresses remain the same.

(Ted Thrift VK2ARA WIA Clubs Co-ordinator)

When Peter Harding stood down as rebroadcast co-ordinator some 12 months ago we
did not have a replacement, things motored along OK until last week when
it was proven we really did need such a postion.

A few pleas went out and once again coming to the QAC aid was a long time
worker for our group, VK4AFS John Stevens now sporting the call VK4VT.

So thank you John!

John is also going to relieve Andrew VK4BO who has single handedly
rebroadcast on the VK4RBN Brisbane VHF groups 2 meter repeater in Brisbane.

John is unable to handle every week so we do need some others who can act
as backup. The sooner the better as a little birdie tells me Andrew is
about to become a Dad again!

So all those who can help drop
a note I'll get it to John
VK4VT.

QNEWS BROADCAST November 16 2008

CLUBBING - WITH RAY VK4ZW BRISBANE AR CLUB

BARC
http://www.qsl.net/vk4ba
or, by E-mail to

Social Meetings are held on each 2nd Saturday at the Maritime Museum
Business Meetings are the 4th Friday of each month.

Visitors are most welcome to go along and sample their hospitality.

GLADSTONE AR CLUB "Radio_Active".
IRLP Node 6246
President John Hinde VK4JWH

Ham's, Families and Friends are welcomed to the

Gladstone Amateur Radio Club's Annual Beach BBQ TODAY at Tannum Sands.

Pop up repeater 146.625 MHz to say hello.

Gympie Communications and Electronics Group.
www.gceginc.org.au

The Gympie Communications and Electronics Group enjoyed the presentation by
Eric, VK4AES at their club meeting on Thursday 6th. Eric illustrated the
capabilities of his Easypal program and explained its development and ability
to use the DRM encoding to transmit error free images. A very enthusiastic
discussion followed Eric's presentation whilst the members enjoyed a light
supper.

Greg, VK4FGDW filmed the presentation and will be loading a short edited
version onto the group's web page at www.gceginc.org.au

GCEG has accepted the invitation of Maryborough Electronics and Radio Group
to join in a Christmas outing on the famous Valley Rattler historical steam
train on 13th December. This half day journey will followed by a combined
byo barbecue in the parklands adjacent the Gympie Gold Mining Museum.

The committee members and publicity officer from Gympie travelled to Brisbane
for the Presidents Lunch last Sunday. This gave the new group the chance to
officially join the VK4 club scene, share thoughts with other clubs and
refresh old friendships as well as bring back the input from WIA President,
Michael Owen, VK3KI to local members.

The Gympie group's next meeting will be on Thursday, 4th December when the
presentation will be given by Bob, VK4MR on the subject of propagation.
With the interest in the summer season and the opportunities that are
presented by enhanced propagation modes on HF and above at this time of year,
this should be a talk that will stimulate the minds of any one interested in
DX operation.

GCEG meetings are held in the basement rooms of Leading Edge Electronics,
Reef Street, Gympie.

(Submitted by Geoff, VK4ZPP Hon. Publicity Officer, GCEG,Inc.)

REDCLIFFE
www.redclifferadioclub.org.au/

The first group of 10 club members completed their induction training conducted
by the Emergency Management Queensland last Sunday and they only now need to
complete their CPR training. The next training session is planned for
10 Jan. In addition the Sunshine Coast SES has donated some surplus SES radios,
hand held radios and a portable repeater to the club.
This will ensure that the club will be ready to assist during the upcoming
storm season.

The club conducts its 80 metre net every Sunday night at 19.45 hours local time
on 3.618 MHz. All members and others who wish to join in are reminded that the
net will open on 3618 MHz and may move frequency when necessary due to QRM.

This year, the club's Xmas break-up will also include the Redsun event with the
Sunshine Coast radio club. The location is at the picnic park on the land side
of Pumicestone Passage, next to Spinnakers sound boat ramp, off
Caboolture-Bribie Island Road, on Kal Ma Kuta Drive, starting from 11am Sunday
Dec 7.

It is a family BYO food, drinks & tables & chairs. The Park has BBQ facilities
& limited table & chairs & is well shaded with plenty of tall trees.

The day will include a special event for both clubs.

Each club will erect an emergency QRP HF station using basic equipment, for
example:- wire for the antenna, insulators, rope, pliers/side cutters, ATU,
battery and feed line.

The 1st club to make 5 non-club contacts on any HF band, wins.

This is an ideal event with the Emergency Management Queensland theme that both
clubs have embarked on!

The site has a great beach to walk or fish from along with great company & some
fun will make for a fantastic day. All amateurs and their families are welcome.

TABLELANDS RADIO AND ELECTRONICS CLUB
www.trec.aussiewide.com

TREC Xmas Function

The Tablelands Radio & Electronics Club will be holding its Xmas Function this
year at the Tolga Hotel on Saturday 6th December starting at 1200 hrs.

All TREC members, friends and FNQ hams are cordially invited.

The Tolga Hotel boasts an excellent A La Carte menu and can also provide
accommodation $50/$60 per room.

Pre dinner nibbles will be provided and The Annual "TREC TRIVIA CHALLENGE" will
be conducted during the afternoon with some great prizes for the winning team.

Please advise Dale VK4DMC on 4091 3700 or email

if you are attending, along with numbers of persons in your party,
so that seating arrangements etc can be arranged. Pay on the day

TOWNSVILLE

http://vk4zz.no-ip.org/tarc/

theTARCinc 2008 AGM next weekend

The 2008 Annual General Meeting of theTARCinc happens Sunday
November 23rd from 7am at Area 2 - Rossiter Park Aitkenvale.

The AGM will start off with a scrumptious Breakfast followed by the meeting
and attendance numbers are needed for catering purposes.
Relay your AGM numbers as soon as possible to Gavin VK4ZZ.

The Navcom Electronics Just In Time for Christmas Mini-Hamvention

Lucia and Bazz invite you along to the air-conditioned showroom on the
corner of Perkins and Boundary Streets South Townsville between 2pm and 6pm
on Saturday December 6th to view and sample the finest equipment from leading
suppliers including Diamond, Icom and Standard Vertex, and help you out with
that difficult decision on what radio items you are going to procure for
your partner in the yuletide season.

theTARCinc 2008 Xmas Party attendance numbers needed

theTARCinc 2008 Christmas Party and Monster Auction
happens on Sunday afternoon December 14th from 2-30pm
at the VK4TJS Satellite Dish City - that's only 4 weeks away -
and part of the festivities is a BBQ put on by the Club.
It's a catered event so numbers are needed to Gavin VK4ZZ
no later than the next TARC Project Night December 9th.

TARC Social Evening this Tuesday

This Tuesday November 18th the TARC Social Evening will be happening
at the Club Rooms atop SES HQ Green Street West End from
7-30pm. Come along and lend a helping hand to put the magazine of renown,
Back-scatter together and socialise with fellow hams.

VK4 SPECIAL INTEREST GROUPS --- "MATTERS DIGITAL"
QDG = http://www.qdg.org.au
IRLP Node 6964
President: Alan Wills VK4YAR

The Queensland Digital Group is holding a that special "back to QDG" meeting
we heard about in the National News on Friday November 21.

Past members of the old QDG Inc are invited to share supper with the 33 current
members of this progressive radio and electronics club.

The address is Wavell Heights State School, Minore Street, Wavell Heights,
arrive for a 7:30 pm start time.

Bring a plate to share.

Alan VK4YAR says new members are also very welcome, especially if bearing food.

A blank email with word subscribe in subject field
Send as

MUST BE SENT FROM SAME ADDRESS AS U WISH TO SUBSCRIBE TO

PAGE_END
/EX